Is it me?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Is it me?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Is my increasing age that is removing my mental capacity to understand some posts? Alternatively, are some members writing more unintelligible posts? I am finding some, written by those who would claim to be educated (by fact of the frequent comments about the uneducated) almost incomprehensible at times (well most of the time these days).

I'm very understanding of people who write in English, although it is not their first language. I also try to be considerate of those who's first language is English but, for whatever reason, have some problems with putting things down in writing. However, I am struggling trying to follow some posts because they just demand too much of me as the reader.

At one time I would read, and re-read again to try to get some understanding. Recently I find I can barely be bothered and would just like to ignore. This leaves me a in personal quandary because I have always felt it important to read what everyone has to say, believing we all have something to contribute.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Is it me?

Post by Horus »

I would tend to agree with you on that score Hepzi (just so long as it is not my posts you are referring too) :lol: :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:I would tend to agree with you on that score Hepzi (just so long as it is not my posts you are referring too) :lol: :lol:
No, my tired brain is not upset by the layout of your posts. However, I could be persnickety with you today, if I were so inclined, and complain about your spelling and punctuation. :) ;)
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Horus wrote:I would tend to agree with you on that score Hepzi (just so long as it is not my posts you are referring too) :lol: :lol:
No, my tired brain is not upset by the layout of your posts. However, I could be persnickety with you today, if I were so inclined, and complain about your spelling and punctuation. :) ;)
Perhaps unwise :snig:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Perhaps unwise :snig:
:a17: :a40:

persnickety
per·snick·et·y
/pərˈsnikədē/
adjective
placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy:
"persnickety gardeners"

requiring a particularly precise or careful approach:
"it's hard to find a film more persnickety and difficult to use than black-and-white infrared"
Word Origin
early 19th century (originally Scots): of unknown origin.

(Although the Oxford dictionary has confused me with it's line about Word Origin!)
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

When under a bit of stress, or the receiver of unexpected news, having to just swallow and except certain things about living here, I do at times create the odd bit of cacky poo responses and posts. But when I read the posted item, I just see another example of my creativity. :lol: I think this could be the start of a new virus as I see other examples of unfortunate suffering infecties. <- one of my new words. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Oh dear :a17: where was the spelling mistake? I usually do a quick spell check before posting, but occasionally type direct if I’m in a hurry. As for correct punctuation, well you get what you get, if you get my meaning. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:

persnickety
per·snick·et·y
/pərˈsnikədē/
adjective
placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy:
"persnickety gardeners"

requiring a particularly precise or careful approach:
"it's hard to find a film more persnickety and difficult to use than black-and-white infrared"
Word Origin
early 19th century (originally Scots): of unknown origin.

(Although the Oxford dictionary has confused me with it's line about Word Origin!)
I didn't realise Hepzibah came from across the pond. Mea culpa.

Persnickety is the American word for fussy, fastidious, or highly detail-oriented. Pernickety is the British word. The British spelling is older, with the earliest known instances dating from the early 19th century.1 Its exact origins are mysterious, though it may be related to the Scots pernicky.2 The American spelling dates from the late 19th century.3

Canadian writers tend to use the American version. The British version is preferred everywhere outside North America.

http://grammarist.com/usage/pernickety-persnickety/

I trust we'll hear no more of my tendency to use Latin :P
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:a14:

Neither pernickety or persnickety are in my normal vocabulary but it just sprang to mind as I was writing. I have a friend who uses persnickety quite a lot and I will now put this down to her Scottish ancestry. Had I realised that my usage of the word was from American English (an oxymoron in itself) there is no way I would have used it.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:
Oh dear :a17: where was the spelling mistake? I usually do a quick spell check before posting, but occasionally type direct if I’m in a hurry. As for correct punctuation, well you get what you get, if you get my meaning. ;)
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Horus wrote:I would tend to agree with you on that score Hepzi (just so long as it is not my posts you are referring too). :lol: :lol:
Highlighted for reference. :a59: :a40:
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Mmm, a simple typo, I was not expecting the grammar or spelling police Hepzi, you must get easily annoyed although I never really considered that quick replies to topics on a general forum required such scrutiny of the English language, :tk I must be more careful in the future. :sd
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:a51:
Alas dear Horus, you must have missed my humour too.

In answer to my own question, perhaps it must be me afterall! :a71: Time for a break me thinks! :a10: :a35:
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Alas dear Horus, you must have missed my humour too.
It seems I must have, :tk maybe because I take the view that not everyone has the same literary skills or ability and I do agree that some posts are difficult to follow, however to comment in any way on spelling or punctuation (unless in jest) could put some people off and therefore I never intentionally do it. I have a very good friend who is exceedingly clever (even smarter than Newcastle :D ) and he is the IT main man for a multinational company although his spelling is atrocious, I always tell him that he has fifteen ways of spelling Tuesday and deciphering his emails can be a challenge, but that in no way detracts from his intelligence IMO. ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It's your age Hepzi, don't forget with a post you have to read it first, understand it and then comment. Obviously you are doing all of that, spelling, punctuation aside. :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:It's your age Hepzi, don't forget with a post you have to read it first, understand it and then comment. Obviously you are doing all of that, spelling, punctuation aside. :lol:
Oh! If only you would read, mark, inwardly digest, and use your own advice.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:It's your age Hepzi, don't forget with a post you have to read it first, understand it and then comment. Obviously you are doing all of that, spelling, punctuation aside. :lol:
That's where I always seem to fail with yours.

Ah well......

Maybe it's MY age. :cry: