Rip Off Train Fares

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Rip Off Train Fares

Post by hatusu »

Much is heard of Egyptian rip-off merchants but I reckon the train companies in the UK are miles ahead. Looking to book a train from Scarborough to London (changing at York) on 6 June, whatever time of day I chose to travel the price quoted was £121.
However if I booked the 2 journeys separately (which I have!), Scarborough to York £17 (any time), York to London £16 (specific time), total £33, a saving of £88. Why????

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Rip Off Train Fares

Post by Horus »

Its the result of now having a none joined up rail system. :(
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

I agree, it's ridiculous.

There's a useful website which will search for cheaper fares by using individual tickets: https://trainsplit.com/

Crucially though, don't buy the tickets on that site as they take a commission. Take a note of the train times and book the tickets on nationalrail.co.uk

I checked your journey from Scarborough to London and it came up with an even cheaper option than you found - £17.30 for the first leg and £13.10 for the second (leaving York at 1406).
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I have always travelled a lot throughout the U.K. even in the days of British Rail, I am sure many others on here will remember the days of the announcements of change at Crewe, change at Derby, change at Nuneaton, and especially change at York. Now, in the modern day these companies do not want you to know this.

For example, St Pancras to Leicester direct 5p.m. (M-F) will cost £86-50. A similar journey change at Nuneaton will cost a fraction of this price, but the 'secret' is YOU must know which station in London the train will start its journey, and that is where the computer fails to inform you, the station is London Euston.

Every ticket office is obliged to inform you of the cheapest fair, when you ask the direct question,......."What is the cheapest possible ticket from A to B". However they will never give advice on the split ticket system.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

hatusu wrote:Looking to book a train from Scarborough to London (changing at York) on 6 June, whatever time of day I chose to travel the price quoted was £121.
However if I booked the 2 journeys separately (which I have!), Scarborough to York £17 (any time), York to London £16 (specific time), total £33, a saving of £88. Why????
Slightly cheaper to go via Hull - £16.00 + £13.50 if you are not in a hurry. And don't forget your Senior Railcard.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:
hatusu wrote:Looking to book a train from Scarborough to London (changing at York) on 6 June, whatever time of day I chose to travel the price quoted was £121.
Slightly cheaper to go via Hull - £16.00 + £13.50 if you are not in a hurry. And don't forget your Senior Railcard.
You might even have time for a bit of sight seeing in Hull.

I hear it has a lot to offer 8)
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

newcastle wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:
You might even have time for a bit of sight seeing in Hull.

I hear it has a lot to offer 8)
The Wilberforce (campaigned to end British participation in the slave trade) Museum is excellent!
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Quote:- Slightly cheaper to go via Hull

"From Hull, Hell and Halifax
Good Lord Deliver Us"
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It could have been worse, he may have suggested Slough
"Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now"
John Betjeman
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Horus wrote:It could have been worse, he may have suggested Slough
"Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now"
John Betjeman
I can't find a cheaper fare via Slough. And "Bugger Bognor", King George V, is also not on a viable route.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Further to the info I have written above, it is really useful to buy a national rail map. Some will think that is easy to obtain at major rail stations, not so. None of the stations in England will offer you such a map, they are only interested in their own routes, and certainly do not wish to inform you of any other.

Other than the classic example I gave earlier last week on here, London Euston to Birmingham is another fine example with Virgin Trains being the usual choice when in fact there are three other routes from London where the cost is much less and believe me, there is no need to reserve a seat.

For almost every inter-city journey in England and Wales there is always an alternative route, it may take a little longer, but the ticket price is much cheaper, and most do not operate a peak price, simply one that is standard throughout the day, and with a open return policy.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:Further to the info I have written above, it is really useful to buy a national rail map. Some will think that is easy to obtain at major rail stations, not so. None of the stations in England will offer you such a map........
Possibly because it's readily available on the Internet to anyone with a smart phone, tablet etc. ?

Or visit trainsplit.com as mentioned by FarleyFlavors.