Why does Egypt Air.......

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Why does Egypt Air.......

Post by Major Thom »

Why does Egypt Air keep cancelling flights, especially local and short distance flights? They have a duty to provide a service to people but do not seem to realise that fact. People book flights, book hotels and tours etc, only to be told that the flight has been cancelled. It's pretty disgusting and they use the excuse that the flight is not well subscribed to. Rubbish, if other operators can fly half empty flights they should be made to honour their commitments. It happened to us when we moved here and has recently happened to friends too. Maybe they should look into their program and cut the number of flights down by 50% to ensure that people fill their aircraft and they stop messing about with peoples lives. The latest one was a couple coming here to Cyprus, the Cyprus flight was cancelled but not the Luxor to Cairo, meaning the couple would be in Cairo for a full day. Their hotel was booked in Cyprus, had to be rearranged at last minute, and the tours too, we arranged to pick them up at the airport and we ourselves had to rearrange things last minute, at a great effort. This did not bother us we will do anything for friends, but could have been avoided.
Yet they complain when there are no flights or hardly any flights to Luxor, mainly via Hurghada. Flights that have no interest from tourists, but they expect 50% full flights to arrive in Luxor. But when it comes to them they think they are entitled to do anything. Above all laws. They are a S--t airline and have no respect for their customers. One day they will disappear from the radar and be buried for good. For every cancelled flight they should be heavily fined!! These cancelled flights are not due to weather conditions or aircraft failure, they are mainly due to money chasing. Well that being the case if they are so cashed strapped they should give up running a public service and go back to street selling.....

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Why does Egypt Air.......

Post by crewmeal »

A difficult one MT why? Because proving they cancel flights because of lack of interest would be hard. My guess it's all down to yield and revenue. Is there much business traffic on the Larnaca route? I doubt it so sending a 737 would be costly just for a few tourists on cheap tickets. I have no idea whether Egyptair are financially sound or not as they don't publish their accounts. But as it's government owned you'll probably never know. Even so Cyprus is part of the EU and they have very strict rules about cancelling flights and only an act of God would prevent compensation. Not sure if anyone has ever made a claim under EU 261 regarding a cancelled Egyptair flight.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

From someone who works in the airline industry :

"Most large airlines have schedules which are complex weaves of planes, crews, and passengers. In order to have all of the cylinders pumping tomorrow, today's need to pump.

Flight completion is also a monetizable metric. The top airlines care about their product and are able to sell tickets for more when they have a high reliability (businesses appreciate that and drive a lot of the airlines' revenues).

It would be extremely rare to have a flight cancel as you walked up to the gate because the airline is just noticing a lot of empty seats. Under most circumstances, should a flight surprisingly underperform, it would get the ax weeks out (or be converted to a smaller airplane or farmed to a supporting regional partner). If there was a massive cancellation of passengers at the last minute, it's going to be too late to fill in the lost capacity and crew at the remaining legs of the plane's journey. Having to reroute crews and planes is a massive headache and can be more costly than simply losing one planeload of revenue.

You're also likely never to see an airline lie about a maintenance issue. Not only can this be easily checked out, the decreased maintenance reliability of the airline is even more damaging than simply cancelling because their operations team is sub-par.

What might seem like a good idea in the short term can actually be a much larger problem in the long run. Some cures are worse than the ailment."

Of course, Egyptair could be the exception and p*ss MT, and his friends, about simply for the hell of it. :lol:

The idea that the state airline should provide a service, irrespective of cost, is an interesting one......but unlikely to appeal to the vast majority of Egyptians who are unlikely ever to see the inside of an airliner. Whatever next? Compensation for substandard health or education facilities?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Perhaps, instead of posing the question and concerns here, Major Thom would be better off by contacting Egyptair direct and raising the issues with them. I do suggest however that, assuming he cannot write in Arabic, he refines his English. Even rants read better when they are structured with punctuation and paragraphs.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The planes they use between Cyprus and Cairo are the same ones they use between Luxor and Cairo, the small Bombadiers, so they do not hold too many people. What I find hard to accept is instead of letting people book and then they cancel, (The people in question from my post were told by Egypt Air that the plane was not subscribed enough to fly it) S why not knock one of the flights off per week and just run a skeleton service that would more than likely be subscribed to. That is what UK airlines did after the Revolution in Egypt, and now probably run to full capacity on a skeleton service. Crewmeal quite a few scheduled flights to Larnaca have been cancelled over the past couple of months so maybe its more cost effective to pay the fines, I don't know?