holiday complaint time again folks.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

holiday complaint time again folks.

Post by Dusak »

Went to the E-Tab yesterday to say hi to my four friends from the UK for their one month visit, and to get my family sized dry roasted peanuts. Usually I find then in the garden sat around the pool, but this time they were sat in the reception lounge area, not looking like happy bunnies. They have been staying at this hotel for twenty years, every year since the old Hilton shut for refurbishing. The last three years was always the same, ''this is the last time as the place is getting worse. But no, they booked their first package deal to benefit on a direct flight, £1,280 per couple. First moan, the card receipt showed and extra £30 each, hotel told them the price had increased since they made the booking four weeks ago.

They had been siting in the reception area since 5am having arrived at the hotel at around 1.5 am, attempting to keep cool as the A/C's in their rooms did not function. Also their rooms were ''absolute **** holes. The bathrooms were filthy, the towels stank and were grimy, no hairdryers, just the plug. The curtains were the dirtiest any of them had seen in their lives, floors grimy, no kettle, cups or tea and coffee which should of been in the room. TV did not work and only one plug in each room worked as they needed to charge three phones. They were all gagging for a drink of tea, but the night porter insisted that they pay 100Le between them. They eventually got it for free when they started to create a scene. While sat there they looked at the drinks list, eight months ago the bottled beer was 28-30, dependent on the brand, now they had increased the cost to 65Le each which angered the men as they only have a drink on holidays while playing pool in the hotel.

When the duty manageress finally turned up she was given the option of refunding all the money or giving them a room decent enough to stay in. I was there at 9.30, they eventually got a room at 12.30pm. Their first breakfast was disgraceful quality wise, so the literally dragged they so called ''chef'' out of the kitchen and gave him a bollocking.

They got new rooms, coincidentally the same rooms they usually receive, having been told that this so called deal is now £1,750 per couple, rising to £2,000 in four weeks. And they expect the tourist industry to get better. I do not think so. I was speaking to an English guy out here on his tenth trip that had decided to treat himself with a bit of nostalgic luxury, stayed at the Winter Palace. His complaint list was very long. This was around three months ago.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: holiday complaint time again folks.

Post by BENNU »

I am speedy after a tripple espresso (they insist) and a delicious breakfast, better than ever, in Winter Palace garden, which has been my East Bank allotment for the last ten years. I can never decide what I enjoy the most, arriving here at my holiday home or returning to West Bank, invigorated after a few days at the pool.

This summer I have not been upgraded to Old Winter Palace for my $27 bed and breakfast, double bonus points and privileges, but I have my own huge and very elegant Pavillon room which will be waiting for me with refreshments and roses when I return next week. They have even put a very nice new comfortable sofa on the large balcony. I have sometimes created choreographies, iPod in my bra on the soft carpet in front of the big mirrors on very hot summer nights under the efficient aircon, but not this time. My friends are playing music in different parts of Luxor, and I can walk back without having to worry about boat or taxi home on these pleasant Ramadan nights.

My bikini is dry now, it is time to pack my little rucksack and call a boat. No complaints from me.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I remember the Etab :xx

Many years ago I was in Cairo and, never having been to Luxor, decided to treat an Egyptian friend (who also had never been) to a few days there. I contacted a local travel agent (it was in the days before online DIY holidaying) and we flew down to Luxor arriving around midnight...and were taken to...the Etab!

Well...needless to say, it was quiet (January)....deathly quiet...and there seemed to be a lot of construction going on at a nearby site. We were left to find our own way to our rooms.

My room was stuffy...and I turned on the aircon...which didn't work. I could tolerate the shabby room, even the prospect of building work disturbance, but this was too much. I managed to wake up someone in reception who informed me that the aircon systems were not functioning in winter, "But it's 30 degrees outside, even in the middle of the night" I shrieked.

Right...I'm not staying here. I quickly called to my friend's room and told him not to bother unpacking and then composed a virulent complaining text to the travel agent saying that no way would we stay in this sh*t hole and demanding they re-locate us or give me my money back.

To their credit, a limousine arrived in the morning to whisk us for a preview of alternatives.

The first was enormous Nile view suites at the Lotus - one each - which we were more than happy with....although the ensuing days were a bit of an eye-opener!! :a80:

The travel agents even threw in a free felucca sail and 50% off a balloon trip by way of apology!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Me thinks we're all waiting for MT to comment about this topic and say I told you so.

Lets wait and see........... ;)
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Is the Etab the same hotel as the Etap?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Was that the Mercure ? 'the meat factory locally known, pool tables and an Egyptian singer, not a bad bar I recollect..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Is the Etab the same hotel as the Etap?
I think this establishment has had more name changes than a crook on the Costa del Sol :lol:

Eatabe....Etap....Etab.....formerly El Luxor
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Not worth commenting on, sorry!! We never stayed anywhere less than 5*
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Not worth commenting on, sorry!! We never stayed anywhere less than 5*
Your standards dropped then when you stayed at the TWO STAR Larco Hotel, Cyprus :lol:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

The Mercure as it was once known was very popular with the French tourists back at the turn of the century. Never could see why!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BBLUX wrote:The Mercure as it was once known was very popular with the French tourists back at the turn of the century. Never could see why!
Yes, but remember BB, they did have an excellent French restaurant on the upper ground floor at that time.

It was also popular with many of the diggers, for example Dr Ryan of the lesser known King's Valley tombs fame was a frequent guest there, but then again, as he once reminded me, it was not he who was footing the bill.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We stayed at the Larco in actual fact an extra night due to the lovely rooms and good breakfast, its proximity to the beach and the nice friendly staff. We were not on holiday, and spent our days getting things sorted out before moving to Paphos. We did everything in 2 days, so efficient!!!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I stayed at the Mercure up at Karnak. I was supposed to be there for a week, but as the place was dead with about 10 guests I lasted 10 hours before going rebooking on a second cruise.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I noted as I left the hotel there were around 14 foreign tourists sitting around fiddling with their smart phones, probably writing Trip Adviser reviews. :lol: They promised to clean the pool, which was very grubby and had a green slime deposit on the bottom, they were still at it all yesterday. The pool guy that they have befriended over the years told them that the last time the water had been chlorinated was the last time they stayed. Cost cutting apparently. :sk
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

I stayed in the 'Mercure' Etap when first in Egypt. Given it was my first time in the Country it was all very special. Staying on the Corniche with great views it was always a delight coming down for breakfast with wide selection. Room was comfortable. Restaurant was enjoyable. Relaxing by the pool was always relaxing with no one fighting for loungers. Staff was pleasant and polite. Money exchange was convenient.
Stella was 13le. Happy memories.This was all a very long time ago.

I had considered through nostalgia to stay there again. Before I read this it was still on the books. From reading this I hardly recognise the place although there was one occasion I witnessed a client complaining the bedding had not be changed. Why the change of name? It must be the 'Mercure' got itself a reputation which they wish to blot out with a name change.

From the description at the start it sounds more like some rundown back street hotel. Perhaps there are not enough customers to maintain standards and what customers there are do not complain enough.

It is sad for the people mentioned who hold wonderful memories and experiences in their heart only to find the Etap no longer meets their expectations. It is not the Etap I remember.

When I first came into the lobby with the image of Rameses riding a chariot the reception stretching ahead I felt like I had just stepped into a Bond movie. Breakfasts were so good I came down for seconds. It was wonderful stepping out into the brilliant sunlight I always felt a new adventure awaited me. Coming out at night the sense of adventure heightened the city coming more alive at sunset. Coming out into stunning Luxor or coming back I like so many only had good things to say of the bygone Etap. Now it is like learning of a friend who has gone off the rails.

They need to take note and get in better management one bent on customer satisfaction.

Do they still turn Rameses into Santa at Christmas?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I totally agree with the above and have stayed in the Etap (Mercure Corralia) on quite a few occasions and back then it was a very nice hotel, good location, excellent food especially the breakfast, the French restaurant with a pianist. The Serap bar always had a good atmosphere and the little Bistro was great for snacks and coffee, later when the pool was improved and the area lawned it was a big improvement although I used to like the small garden that used to be there with the booles court and the outside area under the Gazebo trellis was lovely until some numpty refurbed it and took away all the shade from the climbing plants that used to grow all over it. The poolside snackbar was good and always well serviced as was the upper sun lounge area, it was the first one we ever stayed at and we went back many times over the years although in the later years we tended to prefer the Movenpick when it was called Crocodile Island, very sad that it has gone downhill so much, :( no doubt due to lack of tourists.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Adamantium wrote:I stayed in the 'Mercure' Etap when first in Egypt. Given it was my first time in the Country it was all very special. Staying on the Corniche with great views it was always a delight coming down for breakfast with wide selection. Room was comfortable. Restaurant was enjoyable. Relaxing by the pool was always relaxing with no one fighting for loungers. Staff was pleasant and polite. Money exchange was convenient.
Stella was 13le. Happy memories.This was all a very long time ago.

I had considered through nostalgia to stay there again. Before I read this it was still on the books. From reading this I hardly recognise the place although there was one occasion I witnessed a client complaining the bedding had not be changed. Why the change of name? It must be the 'Mercure' got itself a reputation which they wish to blot out with a name change.

From the description at the start it sounds more like some rundown back street hotel. Perhaps there are not enough customers to maintain standards and what customers there are do not complain enough.

It is sad for the people mentioned who hold wonderful memories and experiences in their heart only to find the Etap no longer meets their expectations. It is not the Etap I remember.

When I first came into the lobby with the image of Rameses riding a chariot the reception stretching ahead I felt like I had just stepped into a Bond movie. Breakfasts were so good I came down for seconds. It was wonderful stepping out into the brilliant sunlight I always felt a new adventure awaited me. Coming out at night the sense of adventure heightened the city coming more alive at sunset. Coming out into stunning Luxor or coming back I like so many only had good things to say of the bygone Etap. Now it is like learning of a friend who has gone off the rails.

They need to take note and get in better management one bent on customer satisfaction.

Do they still turn Rameses into Santa at Christmas?
Rameses got taken away a couple of years ago now, just an open space. No longer is there books to borrow, no money exchange, not even a cash machine, no small shopping center. The Bistro cafe is still there, but hard to get any food or attention. The small coffee counter near the outside pool area is still functioning. For 75Le anyone can use the pool, which has caused problems when gangs of young men enter and torment the foreign female guests with varying degrees of disrespect. Also the younger children are a nuisance, usually mother just sat watching them with no concern towards their actions. For some strange reason they have placed a full sized female manikin on the second floor flat roof, just sat their. Another male figure is praying, there's another on of a Caucasian woman sunbathing, a mix of comical and spooky as my friends opened their filthy curtains in a morning to see them looking towards them. Really is the pits.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

I stayed in the Eatabe for a couple of nights last year.

Maybe I just got lucky but I didn't think it was that bad. A little shabby around the edges perhaps but the room was clean, everything worked and it looked like it had been refurbished fairly recently. Maybe some rooms are worse than others?

Breakfast wasn't too bad either. Plenty of choice including an egg station. (Witnessing the masses of Egyptian tourists handling the bread and pastries then putting them back put me off having any though.)

At £22 per night B&B for the two of us I couldn't complain.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think that any hotel can be hit or miss, positive or negative. Glad yours was acceptable.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:I totally agree with the above and have stayed in the Etap (Mercure Corralia) on quite a few occasions and back then it was a very nice hotel, good location, excellent food especially the breakfast, the French restaurant with a pianist. The Serap bar always had a good atmosphere and the little Bistro was great for snacks and coffee, later when the pool was improved and the area lawned it was a big improvement although I used to like the small garden that used to be there with the booles court and the outside area under the Gazebo trellis was lovely until some numpty refurbed it and took away all the shade from the climbing plants that used to grow all over it.
Yer for sure you were certainly one of the 'old school' at the early times of the Etap Hotel Horus, the only thing that you have left out from above was the Disco on the mezzanine. I am certain you will remember the full layout of the buffet breakfast, it is very sad to read how that place has become what it is today when you think back to those wonderful times.

I think it came as a shock to many when I first wrote on here while I was still living in Luxor that from the Hilton in Karnack to the Shereton in southern Luxor city there was no longer any international standard hotel, in other words all sold to certain Egyptian wide boys, where standards would rapidly deteriate, and they did. It was not long after that the other two joined 'the club'.

At least for one or two of us still around, we really do remember the great days of Luxor, even though most of my time was in a glorified mud hut, how happy they were,........ :wi .