Silent Voyeurs

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Silent Voyeurs

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I often wonder why so many people view the forums regularly but never contribute, or used to contribute but no longer do and yet continue to log in and read posts with alarming regularity.

So, Silent Voyeurs, what are you looking for when you log in? Are you seeking information to help your travel plans? Are you reading to improve you knowledge base of History and Archaeology? Are you just poking your nose in looking for some gossip and /or controversy?

Come on you Silent Voyeurs, step out from the shadows, and start posting - I dare you.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Silent Voyeurs

Post by crewmeal »

Yes, yes and yes.
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

I don't post often these days but check in regularly especially when I'm getting ready to return ive been a member of the site since it began and always enjoyed it, i still miss Stan and his wonderful contributions.
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This has been asked on a few occasions, I'm a member on a Thai forum with over sixty thousand members, yet every week the same forty or so only post. For most that do not take part, looking is their main interest, not partaking. They are probably members on many such forums. And, we have lost two or three very popular and, at times, controversial posters that generated interest as soon as their name popped up. And not only that, people have less free time, or even interest in forums like L4U. When I signed up, it was only a passing fancy as it was mentioned to us while on holiday here. Never thought that I would catch the bug and log on nearly every day. But I have to admit, now I dedicate more of my free time on the Thai sites, mainly as I have made a lot of new on line friends. This visit six of us are staying there to have a good time together, which, it has to be said, as far as I'm concerned, such meet up's are in the long distance past here in Luxor. Luxor has gone stale, and people are not interested in things that no longer have anything to interest them. IMO.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Do members on here ever organise a general meet so one can put faces to the names? If so I'd be interested.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

They use to meet on a Thursday evening for dinner ‘Dusak forgotten the name’ which was always interesting but many people left to go home others just got old.
It is what it is.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

A lot of people go over to the Gerzira Garden for JJ’s not sure if any are members on here anymore.
It is what it is.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

dsaxelby wrote:They use to meet on a Thursday evening for dinner ‘Dusak forgotten the name’ which was always interesting but many people left to go home early others just got old and died at the table.

You missed a word or two out there dsaxelby :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

You can post for the sake of doing so or when you have something on your mind. Most of my posts were written from an urge to share, until I felt that I was talking to myself in a foreign language.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:This has been asked on a few occasions, ...
Yes, and it has usually been me that has asked it.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It is strange when you look at the number of people that sign in regularly from all over the World and never post or even comment, many do not even ask a question. It makes me wonder if they have their own secret agenda sometimes or if they are just passing time from boredom, or even just wondering whats been said about them, so they can complain to the moderators... No matter what I suppose its up to them to whatever the reson for not posting I suppose...Neither me or my wife will ever return to Luxor but stil like to know whats going on and comment mainly on the downside of the place, we have to because we never read about any upsides...

It is strange though because 50+ people log into the site everyday and only around 6 or 7 post or comment...
Gopha75

Post by Gopha75 »

Hello. I never post but enjoy reading the forum after having had a good few holidays in Luxor. I enjoy seeing what might be happening, nothing sinister...it takes me away from the routine and the rest, of Paris. I especially like Who's idea of a market, and wish I was there to test it. Not sure "voyeur" is the right term… but get your drift.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

You could always tell us about Paris and some related things, fact is if everyone made an effort to post a bit of something then we would get back to being a lively forum. I have said this before, but in the past we have had plenty of photographs uploaded, stories, anecdotes, poems, books that people enjoyed reading, pretty much every topic under the sun. It is surprising that once someone starts off a topic how quickly it can expand into something else, I think that many people just look in to see if there is something to read and forget that the few who do contribute only have so much they can offer. So instead of just offering up a 'like' to a post why not actually make a proper comment? :) As for the term voyeur, many years ago the term for people viewing and not posting on internet forums was 'Lurker' :o not so sure that sounds any better. :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

crewmeal wrote:Do members on here ever organise a general meet so one can put faces to the names? If so I'd be interested.
I'm not aware of a specific L4U one happening for many years. I know that in the early days some were organised in Luxor - I think one was to ACE. There were also some organised by people living in South/South West of England, one in London, and also one in Midlands (I think).

It takes someone to organise it. It's not a major task (or at least shouldn't be, depending on what sort of meet up you want).

If you would like to meet other members of Luxor4U in either Luxor or the UK then why not set something up.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There was a really good one several years ago at Sinbads and lots of people turned and up we filled the shelter part at the side of the garden. I remember it being great fun with loads of laughs, even old Stan was participating and I brought him (with much effort) some strong cheese from the UK (I think it was Red Liecester he wanted) and he just muttered a sort of thanks and stuffed it in his pocket. I asked him months later if he had enjoyed it and all he said was "it had sweated a bit" gee thanks mate it was worth all the trouble. :lol: I think that many had turned up thinking that Keefy was buying a round, but they were sadly mistaken :D
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

On my side of the water around 75% of those that used to do our grand meet up's at least twice a week are either now dead or have vacated the country. Those that remain can no longer afford to mix, mainly due to the outlays of travel money once a year for visa's, plus the high increase of the visa, plus most rents have been increased by landlords, the increase in food ect. That is one of the things I enjoy about visiting Thailand now, not one word is uttered about how depressing the country is, although Brexit is mentioned now and again, buy mainly just normal conversations. Whenever I meet friends outside, the conversations start off with how bad things are by folk with their heads stuck way up their own arses, no thanks, have not got the time or patience to listen.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Neither me or my wife will ever return to Luxor
Your contibuations on here have made me laugh.MT. Why don't you come back for a holiday and see how everything has changed since your departure to 'pastures new'
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I thought Choccy was moving to Oz ? But seems to have got no further than Cyprus. :tk

I was there a few months ago installing some hardware in our DC in Limassol. Lovely Hotel I can recommend, nice sort of Zen feel to it, tucked away in a nice quite side street. Alasia Boutique. 8)

One's world is a creation of the mind...... :up
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well like I always say Dusak, don't complain if you don't like it here leave.Problem is most of them have given their money to some man and cant now afford to leave. And I don't say cheated out of their money, had it stolen either, they gave it no one held a gun to their heads. No patience with them.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:Well like I always say Dusak, don't complain if you don't like it here leave.Problem is most of them have given their money to some man and cant now afford to leave. And I don't say cheated out of their money, had it stolen either, they gave it no one held a gun to their heads. No patience with them.
And for some, even that is a non affordable option.