Some very good news for once.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Some very good news for once.

Post by Dusak »

Excellent to see on the news this morning that a UK mother has just been sentenced to eleven years in prison for preforming FGM on her daughter.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Some very good news for once.

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Is that a second UK case? I'm sure there was one recently, although I don't remember the details.

I watched a UK documentry last year (or was it the year before?) following a team of detectives that have been set up specifically to deal with FGM cases in the UK. Unfortunately, (if I remember rightly) so many cases they had prepared were refused court by the Crime Prosecution Service. When they did get a case to court it failed on (what seemed to m a fairly small detail. Sadly, the poor child had not only had to experience FGM, but then had to go over it all again in the hope of justice, only to be let down at the final hurdle.

If cases are now getting to court, and with a positive result, hopefully it will at long last send out a message that those who commit this crime will be dealt with under law. It won't stop FGM in the UK but hopefully it will prevent some girls having to endure this horrific procedure.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Where did this barbaric practice come from ?

And who in thier right mind would have this perfromed on a loved one they brought into this world that they are supposed to be protecting. ?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I suppose this barbaric practice only comes to the attention of the authorities when the child in question requires medical assistance. Other than giving each girl child an intrusive examination there must be many more cases of FMG in the UK that will and do go undetected.
What upsets me almost more than the operation itself is the fact that it is usually the mother that insists on her daughter being cut.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Over the last ten years my friend has had ten girls added to the family list, another on the way shortly. She is dead against this practice, but has been overruled by the fathers that have insisted it be done when she told them it was a bad practice and a dangerous one. Privately, discussed between the mothers, non wanted their daughters to have it done.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Its at times like this that you just wish Arthur C Clarkes story, "Childhoods end" would actually happen in real life..

I like the ending when Karellen reveals himself... 8)