Fauna

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Fauna

Post by Major Thom »

Is there a reason why the lovely Fire Trees and others have been razed to the ground between Esba Bridge and the Check Point leaving the place stark abd barren?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Fauna

Post by newcastle »

Sorry....my Google translate won’t handle the above :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Then you need a new computer Newc. Apart from the the "b" being added by mistake on the word and it is quite plain to see the question. It may be however you do not know the answer because you have either not seen or taken any notice. But the trees in between the Esba Bridge and the Checkpoint at Gezera especially along the canal bank have mostly been razed to the ground leaving the peverbial unsightly rubbish filled canal on full view to all. The more greenery the better air quality. Oh silly me touching on green policies, when they are unheard of in Egypt....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I was confused by the use of the word “fauna”....or do the trees in Cyprus run about? :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Don't mention Flora or we will get on about margarine.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Of course they do Newcastle you must know by now that Cyprus is perfect. Busy little trees they have there. The fauna stays where it us and the flora runs up to it just asking to be eaten.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

@Major Thom
I have never heard of a Fire Tree. Is it a reference to a Fir Tree or a Flame Tree perhaps?
I also do not understand the word 'peverbial' and cannot find it in my dictionary. What does it mean?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Maybe the scrutinisation of other posts woould not go amiss, but its obvious that many walk around with their eys closed, not knowing what is going on around them.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’m beginning to wonder if you type with your eyes closed. :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:19 am Maybe the scrutinisation of other posts woould not go amiss, but its obvious that many walk around with their eys closed, not knowing what is going on around them.
Do try the spell checker MT it would save a lot of wrangling.

Or is it a case of "He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases?" 8)
Smile! It confuses people
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:41 am Is there a reason why the ... Trees ... have been razed to the ground between Esba Bridge and the Check Point ... ?
It is supposed to leave room for the canal to be cleaned.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The canal is cleaned usually from a 'garrar/karaaka on a floating pontoon that pulls itself down
The Fedliya canal using it's jib.
Mind you last week they were doing a pretty crap job of cleaning the canalside from the road, a first... 8)

'And mind you this is Egypt, So there doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason for anything really!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Who2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:52 pm Mind you last week they were doing a pretty crap job of cleaning the canalside from the road, a first... 8)
Which is why the trees had to go. :br
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

or do the trees in Cyprus run about?
Perhaps they had enough and ran off :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The trouble is Bennu all the rubbish and rotted carcass's are left along the banks, to further decay and spread disease.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:15 pm The trouble is Bennu all the rubbish and rotted carcass's are left along the banks, to further decay and spread disease.
Although a less than pleasant situation, at least it's not your doorstep so perhaps you shouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure there are environmental problems in Cyprus that you could beat your drum about and help prevent/solve if you had a mind to.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom knows more than I do. Having been away for some weeks, I am not yet familiar with the result of the new cleaning project.

Where I used to see palm tree tops, I now have a view of a village busy with pedestrians, donkeys and camels, Upper Egyptian everyday life. Rather inspiring when dancing to live music, yearning, longing, celebrating, feeling - interpreting the classics. Last week holding court in Sweden during a belly dance festival, I explained to fellow participants that the key to the much debated authenticity is understanding the audience for which the music was composed. After they cut the trees, my singer had noticed that I kept looking out of the window whether dancing balady, Oriental or folklore; he understood it when I told him that I have the background of the lyrics on my doorstep. I am lucky.
:a31:
In Copenhagen I stroll under cherry blossoms, the flora of my neighbourhood has become a tourist attraction. As usual, I have front row tickets to concerts with some of the masters who will visit our jazz capital in July - until then I shall be surrounded by mango trees, date palms on the opposite side of the canal, endless bougainvillea, Ramadan lights, oud, ney and tabla ...
:bar3:
For now, I truly enjoy what is not available in Luxor: gourmet beer and male attention.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Yes we do have enviromental issues in Cyprus, but at least the Government do something. Roadkill s cleaned up, beaches are attended to, tax on vehicles depends on emmissions, local people keep the streets and roads clean along side the Government, tipping sites are available (With Skips) to get rid of your rubbish, even once a week an advertised wagon comes around our village to collect unwanted waste etc, our bin is emptied every 3rd day. So things not too bad. Flowers and flowering bushes are planted outside peoples homes, people really keep the places clean. The only places with writing on the walls are those advertising the name or number of the property. Every thing looks clean and tidy. My only issues has with most is the way tourists disgard rubbish for others to clean up, but then again its not their home or island, so what can you expect. We pay for services via our tax lke the UK so if things go wrong we can and have the right to complain. This Winter has been the wettest on record so in many places the water off the mountains has run down and washed parts of the roads away. Because we have a proper tax scheme, the councils get straight on to them and they get repaired. (The money is available).
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Unlike the UK then.