Great Dual Sim Mobile phone. Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Great Dual Sim Mobile phone. Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite

Post by John Landon »

For those that travel regularly between 2 countries and have a phone for each country as I did when in Egypt,
Then a dual Sim Phone is a much better alternative.

I was given one of these a few weeks ago for work, after I killed my Samsung, Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. Priced at about 170 UK pounds.

It's chinese made, but dont let that put you off, after using it for the last 3 weeks or so both myself and my colleague are very impressed.

We got these for 150 UK Pounds from Amazon so is very cost effective when you consider its features.
It came with a high speed charger, lead and a rubber transparent backing case, which is quite discreet and helps protect the phone. The only thing it didnt have was earbuds, but I have my own good quality ones anyway, so no great loss there.

It's running Android One, So has Google Store and all Google features, Mail, Drive, etc.. and has the following specifications.

Dual Sim, ( so no more having to carry 2 phones about and migrating contacts and numbers between the phones)
4GB RAM
64GB storage,
microSD support up to 256GB
802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi ( very fast ) !
Bluetooth 4.2
GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
12Mp + 5Mp AI dual-camera (5Mp front camera), 1080p video @30fps/720p slo-mo @120fps
AI face recognition
rear fingerprint scanner
4000mAh battery

It has a metal case not plasic.

I like the fact the speakers are at the bottom, not the back, so I can put the phone down on a work surface and listen to music. It charges very quickly and lasts for an age, considering I have Wifi and Bluetooth on all the time.

Here is the best impartial review I could find, with the pro's and the Con's. :up

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/bu ... e-3682640/

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Great Dual Sim Mobile phone. Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite

Post by Major Thom »

Thats my phone John got it on Saturday, brilliant and does everything I want.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Looks good for the money you paid John :up
It must be new phone month :lol: I just ditched my i-phone for a Samsung Galaxy and bought myself a nice new protective case and because it does QI charging I also purched one of those as well, bloody thing is useless even though it is also a Samsung original QI charger, problem is that the leather on my new case is too thick to allow the charger to work so back to a plug in cable or buy another thinner case. :cry:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Amazing, a few years ago the public would have rioted if they were made to have had, implanted trackers.
Now everybody seems to have one and they paid for it themselves.lol
Intelligence services worldwide must think Xmas has come early...

Years ago when the Yanks perfected phone mega data they could track 2.5 billion phones, and that's
a few years back..God only knows what they can do now..... 8)
Ps: And they ain't going to tell you cause they love secrets.........
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Simple enough technology tracking wise and you can’t really avoid it. Most phones will use GPS for various applications but they always have to ask permission to do so, therefore that part is up to you. What you cannot avoid is the fact that your mobile will ‘ping’ the nearest transmission mast to retain a signal as you move around and you cannot avoid that, so your general location is always trackable
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

When my Egyptian iPhone died after my Danish iPhone was stolen last year, I could not find the iPhone I wanted in Luxor. I was desperate enough to let myself be persuaded to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note9 which was the latest model, now I have seen commercials for a Note10.

I use it with two sim cards and it has lots of storage and a really good camera, it did cost a little more than yours, though.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"Most phones will use GPS..
Mine doesn't..... 8)
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Who2 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:15 am "Most phones will use GPS..
Mine doesn't..... 8)
It still knows where you are though and they can easily triangulate your general location.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Personally I dont hve a mobile phone. Being the corporate whore that I am, my company gave me one for back in the day when I was on call so I could be contacted easily.

These days I mainly use it for when I travel for work, or work form home.
If I do leave this company I will probably ask to have the contract and the phone ported over to me so I can keep it, as gradually over the years friends and family contact me on that phone.

A surprisingly pessimistic post from Mr Brightside. AKA Who 2 ?

Allow me to adress the David Icke like response in your post Dear Doctor.
If these bloody modern day doomsday merchants and luddites had thier way, we would all be grovelling about in the mud on the edge of a forest trying to eek a living from the land and would starve if the crops failed.

Ok, so as a rule I generally stay on the straight and narrow path but I get away with as much as I can, so I really dont worry too much about the long arm of the law. But I will do whatever it takes to survive if push came to shove.
I am lucky enough to have not been put into that position, but god forbid if I was, I woudl maybe knock a coppers helmet off for a warm night in the cell and a free meal, it wont cost me anytjong as I wont have anything to pay with.

Here is the positive side of my mobile phone ownership and subsribing to Google services and GMail.

My phone is an all in one device which is very useful for travelling and everyday use, although it is not my constant companion that demands my attention every minute of the day, I check it when I can be bothered.
Its a clock, world clock and alarm clock. Its a great camera and I can use the flash as a very bright torch with the ability for hours of use. I can pull up my photos anytime I want to look at them and share them with others.
I can use it like a computer so browse the web and compose, send and recive emails,
its a calculator so I can do quick currency conversions when purchasing abroad and any other calculations I may have to make.
Its a music and movie player and I can keep those on my phone or pull them off the web.

I can text family and friends and I can even have a live face to face video conversation. ( this was the stuff of Sci - fi 50 years ago )

Its a compass, its a GPS device and its a Sat Nav system that can guide me to anyhere.

If I need to have a conversation with Johhny foreigner and the bugger hasnt bothered to learn English, I can speak into my phone and he can then listen to the traslation, then he speaks back to me in his native tounge and it translates it back to me. Again, the stuff of Sci - Fi books years ago.

Its a document storage device ( no trees harmed )

The phone automatically connects to the car, so I can make or take calls if I want to or port the music or sat nav instructions from my phone to the car audio system. The car has Sat Nav, but its useless here in Wales.

Google tracks me and my movements, as such when I wake up in the morning it will tell me how long it will take to get to work and the traffic conditions. It also tells me what the weather is going to be like. I dont even have to unlock the phone for that, the are just passive messages on the screen that I see as I turn off the alarm. Likewise at the end of a working day it will tell me how long to get home and where any congestion may be and offer me alternative routes.

I contribute to Google Guides, so after I visit a place it will ask me some questions and I can submit my experience and any photos I may have taken. These reveiws go out on the internet like tripadvisor, so hopefully my contributions help, and like wise other peoples contributions help me decide if a place is worth visiting or not, after carefully studying what people say.

I have all my travel documents on my phone which I also send to my GMail. Gmail even scans those documents and will send me a message to advise me to book a taxi a few days before I am due to travel and even alerts me a few hours before I am due to travel, just in case I forgot. Which I possibly could do as I do travel a lot.

Having Gmail is great because I can access it on any device and retrieve those documents if I lost my phone.
I can also access any pictures, films or music I have stored on GDrive from any device too.
My phone will automatically upload them to my Gdrive so I dont even have to remember to do that.

I can do all my banking on this device as well.

Oh yes, and I can make and recive phone calls and choose wether or not I can be bothered to receive or answer any calls.

Now, while some people may think all this tracking is a bad idea, I can see the positive side of this, and yes even having a micro chip implanted if it came to it. Why ?

Ok, if I got lost I can be found. If eveyone else is in the same position eveybody knows where everybody is. That information can be logged. Now, if anything happens to anyone then it wont be too hard to track the perputrator.

I could in effect send one of my children to the other side of the world without having to accompany them. The phone will be able to guide them along and hold all necessary documents and ID. Who is going to harm them if they know they cant get away with it ?

So in the future, you can commit a crime against you fellow man, but you will be caught.
Is having the ability NOT to commit a crime a bad idea ? read on..

Maybe its asking too much of people to treat eveyone as they want to be treated, but you can change society as has been proved time and time again, so if anyone has any smart ideas about not doing that we can always show them the past where things were not so good just to make them think....

Lets look to the future where instead of incompetant out of touch arrogant oaf's running things,
we have now passed many day to day aspects of life that need to be controlled over to computers.
computers who's syetems are transparent and open to scrutiny by all.
We could have autonomous cars, which means I no longer need to own a car and all the expense that entails. the system knows and has learned my movements, so a car will just turn up to take me to work, ot will then make several other journeys during the day for other people and families, not sit in a car park or driveway for 99 % of its life.
suddenly roads are a lot less congested. And traqffic will run more smoothly as the main computer system knows the present and future movements of evey vehicle.

We can even have robots doing all the work, If you have travelled to a singapore Hotel, or visited a workplace that is already strarting to happen.

But all the things mankind REALLY NEEDS can be manufactured by robots so can farming and the processing and transportation of goods and materials.

We can now have more leaisure time and have the ability to travel around the world and do whatever, wherever it is needed, we would then not need a single house to tie us down to a geographic location that we feel compelled to return to.
You coudl if you want, now there is a choice though.

The possibilities are endless, Elecrons connecting and guiding eveyone. People run the world, eveyone contributes and we make mankind the responsibility of all, not hand over our freedom and power to those who think they know better or muscle thier way in.. As is proven, we get Royally F*ucked over if we allow that.

All information and knowledge out in the open, a world were great ideas are embraced and not held back by greed or alterior motives.

We are all becoming aware that we cannot continue as we are doing, so change will have to come, as this world changes and is giving us the wake up call we all need. Adapt or Perish..

Where we are today, we stand on the brink of all of that. We need more positive energy to acellerate the process.
This world and its inhabitatants will all benefit. I still believe we are yet to reach our epoch, the Golden age..
After a few hundred years of that happening perhaps we will no longer need to be here.
After all, being human, Heaven would get boring after a while and we would need new challenges.

Jesus thats deep... 8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

As with all technology, mobile phones are a blessing and a curse. No doubt that was said too when the wheel was invented.

I don't use half of the capability of my phone. You know when I try something new because I usually need the techy amongst you to sort me out and give me step by step instructions. I do realise though that as my life with a mobile phone has gone on, so has my appreciation for the things I do use and benefit from.

For some while, I've actually been using two mobile phones, except one , the older of the two is sim free. When I bought my newer phone I didn't transfer everything over to it. I use it primarily as a phone and text gadet, refusing to add my email addresses to it. I can go out and not be burdened or distracted by people whole seem to think that you are at there beck and call 24/7. I keep office hours. However, when I am away, I can check my emails at my leisure on my old sim freephone if I have not got my laptop with me. This also allows me to split up where I want to store/use social media, including this forum.

Although I often have a camera with me when on trips, I have the benefit of two backup cameras if needs be, and one or both are almost always with me.
Overall, splitting up my phone use in the way saves memory and battery charge - both of which were an issue with the old phone. It has been a useful discipline for me too, and given me flexbility...and I think saved me time.

Oh...almost forgot. Old phone (or my even older one) becomes my holiday phone. I just pop in my local sim ( if it's not there already) and no one gets phone envy and chats me up for it or tries to steal it. 😁
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I assume all the above is about what I would term an i-phone.

I have a “mobile” phone....a hand-held gadget which fits in my pocket, makes and receives phone calls and SMS messages. And not much else. No camera, no internet.

A few functions such as calculator and clock.

Suits me fine.....and no one’s thought it’s worth nicking! :)))
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

For Clarification newcastle,
i-Phones are designed and marketeted by the Apple ® corporation.
Were great back in the day but are basking in the shadows of yesterdays triumphs these days since the last few years. Very costly to maintain and are very fragile and need constant charging. Apple ® deliberatly cripple the older versions with software updates that slow them down, so the fanbois rush out to buy the latest Phone as soon as its released.
Thats just business I guess. :tk

The more poular and more affordable alternative is an Android device, so most manufacturers run a common Android Operating system, and most of the Apps are free. All Tablets are pretty much the same, but without the SIM Phone facility.

Think Micro$oft Windows OS and the pay for apps, Office etc...
and then Linux OS in its many flavours but which is all freeware for the PC.

Andriod is actually a form of Linux as is the Apple ® operating system, but vastly different in many ways.

Whatsapp which is available on Android and i-phones allows you to make phone calls and have video conversations across the internet, as well as texting facilities. that costs nothing if you use your own or open WiFi, so you can call anyone anywhere in the world at zero cost. So it may be worth upgrading if you find your mobile phone bills are getting a bit high. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I rarely call anyone on my “mobile” so often my monthly bills are zero.

I use FB Messenger on the rare occasions I want to talk to anyone for more than 30 seconds. If they don’t have Messenger, I send an SMS asking them to call me (I have VERY tolerant friends!)

Otherwise it’s emails. I think I last bought a stamp in 1990.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

All very nicely explained JL and I concur with everything you have said :up especially about the 'Apple' fanboys who just queue up to give them their money. :stp Many new phones can equal them or even beat them hands down especially with all the Android Apps available for free download, Samsung and Huawei are making big inroads although the latter may become less popular if current American politics holds sway. I use most of the features you mention, but in addition I can remotely view my back garden, drive and my living room anywhere I am in the world just by accessing the security cameras around my home via my phone and see what is happening there in real time. I can also use my Alexa App on my phone to turn on or off various devices in my home such as lamps, my mate has even set up his roller shutter garage door to operate via that particular App and on one occasion he was away on holiday and I wanted to use his small lathe and as I stood outside his garage he opened it up to let me inside. :D

The other thing I do is to listen to my books on Audible.com which I can download to my phone and when I am out walking I can listen to them via a set of Bluetooth ear pods or sometimes at night I will set a timer on my phone and just listen to a book as I fall asleep, great feature as I always know roughly were I left off within a few minutes, modern phones are extremely versatile.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

The US "Trade War" with Huawei, which is what this so called spying scandal really is just goes to show thier stupid patritotic attitude towards anything that may actually be better than they can produce. rather than embracing it and accepting the challenge to rival them.
Why this had to effect Europe as well is beyond my comprehension ?

But then in America even Kinder Eggs are banned, but yet every citizen is armed to the teeth, and thier attitude to solving gun crime is to have more guns. !

You cant make this stuff up really can you.. :urm:

My Son has "Hive" on his mobile, which is great in the Winter, so you can fire up the central heating en-route to home.
its a great innovation.. :up

I have never really bothered much with Security cameras and House alarms, I am a simple man, and we dont have much worth stealing, plus we are out of the way so anyone wanting to screw my house over has to get there first, and there is only one way out of our road, and other people have camera's on thier houses, But if you caught anyone they have to get past you to make thier escape 8) I am a placid man until that red mist appears...... :dv

I have just discovered that that Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite once the headphones are plugged in and you hit the volume control, it has options for the headphones and it optimises the sound for that particualr type of headphone or earbuds, my music sounds even better than it did before... :D
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I don't have a smart phone not due to GPS tracking I have nothing to hide.
It's watching all the idiots who stare at a little screen held in front of their noses.
All becoming introverted rather than extroverted and missing the World around them..

My phone rings, If I hear it I answer it, it doesn't play music or stupid games or take pictures... 8)
Ps: Or probably, cause me slow brain tumours.electro-magnetism !
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Whilst accepting the benefits of a Smart Phone outlined by Horus & JL , Who 2 definitely has a point with regard to the way the majority of users seem glued to it when going about their daily business.

Not only do you have people wandering the streets effectively unaware of where they’re stepping - and the consequent increase in accidents - but I find it distinctly odd to see a couple, or group, of friends engaged in conversation, or even a meal, whilst trawling their Smart Phone at the same time!

It’s almost as if the phones represent a distinct and separate member of the group - to be consulted, discussed and shown to other members of the group.

All very odd.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Strange times indeed newcastle.

I am in total agreement about those idots glued to their screen and insisting on filming eveything instead of using there eyes and enjoying the moment. Likewaise missing out on life in general..
People complain when I nip outside for a fag when at the Pub, and then they have the cheek to pull out thier mobile phones and start tapping away.. Hypocrites.. :td

Electro magnetism ! We live on a bloody huge electro magnet. Mobile phone emissions should be the least of your worrries on that score down here on Mother earth... :br
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The idea of the electromagnetic output of a smart phone being a health hazard is, of course, scientific bullsh*t! Even the masts don’t emit sufficient radiation....although banning them on eyesore grounds is not unreasonable.

With there being more smart phones around than people on the planet, you can rest assured that the matter has been done to death from a scientific point of view.

That hasn’t stopped wild speculation about the dangers...and even prolific sales of protective equipment.

Tests on rats have shown some links to cancer, low sperm count etc.....but at doses equivalent to sticking your head in the microwave for 5 minutes. :lol:

Remember the gerbil in a microwave?

https://joecartoon.com/watch/w0bbbc/Ger ... _Microwave

Pity really. The idea of excessive phone users being rendered sterile is not without merit. :tk
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I wholeheartedly agree about those people who walk about all day glued to their phone who by and large (but not always) tend to be the younger generation for whom it forms a large part of their social interaction. But like the Brexit debate you cannot tar all smart phone users with the same brush “Oh you voted out so you must be thick and stupid” “Oh you own a smart phone so you must walk around with it glued to your face all day” a mantra usually trotted out by those who do not understand the technology and are either too old, too lazy or unable to learn the new technology, they used to be called Ludites back in the day. :lol: