Opening arose and proud of it.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Opening arose and proud of it.

Post by Major Thom »

Just over a year ago, I saw an opening to serve my Community. It takes approx. 40 mins for an Ambulance or Medical professional to reach the rural part of Cyprus where myself and wife work. So decided to retrain as a First Responder. Took courses on Advanced First Aid, CPR Administration, AED User, Anaphalexis and Peadiactric First Aid. I then set up the Lysos and District First Responders. We have a Patron who is the Accident and Emergency Consultant at our Hospital. We carry an AED with us, Spinal Boards with patient straps, a 250 piece First Aid Kit, Rescuitation equipment and Oxygen bottles, Touniquets, Inflatable Splints, Stifneck Collars etc etc. We also have our own offices given to us rent and utility free by the Community Council. Our service is free for locals and tourists. We work 24/7. A fortnight ago we learned we had been nominated for a Cypriot Hearts of Gold Award. So many openings if you have innititive. So now you know why I have not been on board for a while.Too busy

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Opening arose and proud of it.

Post by Who2 »

An admirable achievement, apply for an endless supply of 'entonox it will give you no end of fun and give
your patients a bit of a laugh as you apply cpr to a comatose drunk...! 8)
Ps: Remember when doing mouth to mouth resuscitation,
always move your mouth to the left else you'll end up swallowing their puke!
'a word from the wise'
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Our rescusition equipment allows us not to use oral rescusitation Dr, we have a mouth/nose, none latex mask attached to a bag made up of same material. In turn this is connected to an oxygen resovior and an oxyger bottle with a regulator. We provide 2 x rescue squeezes of the bag into the patients lungs and start CPR, 30 pumps to adepth of between 5 and 6 CM. Followed by another two rescue breathes of pure oxygen an so on for extra patient care we carry a fully automatic AED Difibrillator. I also had to learn about Agonal Breathing because some people think this is the patient just being shortof breathe. We also carry Adrenilin shots for people suffering Anaphyexia, and shots for people whose blood pressure drops below 30. I have had to relable the ampules because they were written in Greek. For every ampule we carry a Hypodermic Srynge. I go out with the hospital anbulance every now and then until the Accident and Emergency feel Iam fully trained with their work. To be honest I enjoy the work and its given me a new lease of life.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I applaud all such initiatives where people do their best to serve their community, in whatever manner.

However Major Thom, I do hope you checked, and got someone else to double check, the relabeling of the medications and equipment, and any literature you have prepared for sharing with your team.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

All medications have been labelled in English Hepzi. I had to spend 2 days with the Accident and Emergency Consultant, regarding the administration and use. For instance Adrenalin was used for Cardiac Arrest, but not suitable for high blood pressure, people with heart disease or angina. Its also been found that although it is good for stimulaing the heart to start it can cause brain damage to the people that suffer from the fore said conditions, so checks and monitoring has t be done with the patients family or with the equipment we carrry. I do spend regular days at the A&E keeping a regular check on updates and things. But we are now covered by the HA for insurance purposes.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We also have regular meetings in our office for dscussing updates and new proceedures. Its needed so we are all proficient in what we do.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

On Monday next we receive 3 sets of headphones and michs. So while attending a person we can relay a persons stats and also speak to the duty A&E Doctor on what we are doing and why and also get extra advice from him.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Very good MT I am glad to hear that you have found something useful and interesting to do.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Much more fulfilling than Egypt-bashing, MT! I wish you well!
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Ruby S. Egypt is far behind me now having lived here for 3 years. The experience of living in Luxor was fine, but after 5 years of 8 it really became oppressive and not our life at all. Although we were retired, we still wanted opportunities that may have come our way, there just were nt any, and if they come our way there as always a mountain to climb. So as soon as we sold our villa we felt like the chains had been cut and we were free to explore opportunities. We had already explored Cyprus for 30 months before our move by joining the sites similar to Luxor4U. We knew we could apply for the first 5 years residency immediatly, we knew once we got our residency papers we could apply for free medical care, we knew we could change our driving licenses for Cypriot EU licences. The only thing that put us off was property buying, pretty much like Luxor, cheating and lieing, There are ex pats here that are still awaiting their property ownership papers after buying 15 years ago. We knew prices here woyld be very different, but because of choices it did not bother us too much. We live in a village in a 150 year old Cypriot Stone house, with a larger plot than what we had in Luxor, its fully modernised with a 25M pool, and the village is steeped in History, from the weaveing days to the recent history from the Makarios days. Its very quiet and suits our age group. We just cannot save as much as we could in Luxor. (It maybe that fact that keeps ex pats in Luxor, I dont know) but we can save around £300 a month, so not too bad I suppose, and its gves us decent holidays every year. Every village gas cleaners that are out cleaning streets everyday, and getting places are fairly good, some of the mountain roads can be trecherous though so you have to be careful. Oh and one thing when you buy a car here they do not seem to have indicators fitted ha ha, yes the drivers are not the best. Life here though is very much different from Luxor, they have mosques here but you do not here them, I think most people have watches and do not need to be reminded of prayer time. Our first couple of years in Luxor were fantastic after that we found it to be very oppressive, abd the dual economy we found restrictive. But its history now, we never look back and think how much of life we missed we just put it down to an adventure or an experience in life. We have had visitors from Luxor that we have met a few times and they say to us you would not like it at all now, prices have shot up and wherever you go you have to be so carefulwhat you say. We had planned a holiday there for a week but after what friends have told us that is now out of the equation, so we will take a holiday where we have wanted to go for a few years now in he Spice Islands.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Good for you but you are getting a little repetitive now MT.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am All medications have been labelled in English Hepzi.
Yes, but my point was...have they been relabelled in correct Medical English, or as per your posts above? Hence my suggestion of check, recheck, and get someone else to check too.
(If I have got the spellings wrong, I apologise. However, most are not in my normal everyday vocabulary - verbal or written - unlike yourself with your recent studies. )

Who or what is HA?
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Sorry its a local reference Hepzi, means Health Authority. When you ask anyone here they all call it HA. It become a habit. Sorry about that...
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom, you have always used initials which mean nothing to the reader.
I dare say we could have rightly guessed at the complete wordage, but it is always best, and correct form and use of the English language to spell it out first and then, if appropriate, revert to initial letters or an abrieviated format.
-Aldous Huxley