Corona Virus

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Corona Virus

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:07 am A mistake is being made by the Egyptian Gov they should be advertising holidays here more vigorously.
Come to Egypt we have loads of tissues and toilet paper.
Good to hear. I’m coming (inshallah) in 4 weeks’ time.

There’s a good possibility that I’ll be screened on return to UK - if infections take off in Egypt - but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

If my memory serves me toilet paper is a relatively new invention in Egypt.
In the early days it was just a thin small sheet that allowed ones' fingers to easily penetrate.
These days the rolls are more substantial, I did notice that the hole though the middle
had not been removed allowing people with small bums extra wipes.
I don't mind our toilet make over by the girls but,
they use them for mainly make-up rather than bum wiping!.... 8)
TBC....remember when we only had IZAL !

Ps: Who remembers that entrepreneurial lady with the toilet block at Memnon selling only 3 sheets a time ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Would some kind folk export some hand sanitiser back to the UK as you can't get it anywhere apart from some Asian shops charging £10 for a very small bottle. Talk about profeiteering !!!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

crewmeal wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 pm Would some kind folk export some hand sanitiser back to the UK as you can't get it anywhere apart from some Asian shops charging £10 for a very small bottle. Talk about profeiteering !!!
Most hand sanitisers are only anti-bacterial so next to useless for fighting against a virus.
You can make your own hand sanitiser, but it does require 70/80+% alcohol. There are recipes online (that were available before this present situation).
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm
crewmeal wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 pm Would some kind folk export some hand sanitiser back to the UK as you can't get it anywhere apart from some Asian shops charging £10 for a very small bottle. Talk about profeiteering !!!
Most hand sanitisers are only anti-bacterial so next to useless for fighting against a virus.
You can make your own hand sanitiser, but it does require 70/80+% alcohol. There are recipes online (that were available before this present situation).
Thanks for the reminder about alcohol.

I don’t drink vodka but have now found a use for the bottle someone gave to me last Christmas and which has been lurking in my freezer ever since :up
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Newcastle, why would you keep a bottle of Vodka in the freezer? Does it even freeze given the high alcohol content? (I'm no scientist as you can tell. )

Having thought I would make an alcohol sanitiser spritz, I was surprised to see that the highest proof Vodka I could buy locally was only 50%. So not worth buying as I don't drink it either.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:38 pm Newcastle, why would you keep a bottle of Vodka in the freezer? Does it even freeze given the high alcohol content? (I'm no scientist as you can tell. )

Having thought I would make an alcohol sanitiser spritz, I was surprised to see that the highest proof Vodka I could buy locally was only 50%. So not worth buying as I don't drink it either.
No....it doesn’t freeze. Apparently those who drink the stuff like it well chilled.....but I haven’t had any visitors who fancied a slug.

Whether it’s any use against the virus....who knows. Maybe it’ll make the little buggers so drunk they forget to infect me. :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:43 amPs: Who remembers that entrepreneurial lady with the toilet block at Memnon selling only 3 sheets a time ?
I am a little surprised , I did not know you go that far back living in Luxor,..... Actually, when you think about it, it was rather strange that a lady did that type of work, and even more so, when you think it was on the West Bank, at that time.

She lived up in the hills in the next village to me, her husband lost his life in the army, she was left with three children. The local authorities looked on her kindly, and was offered this job, which unusually only went to men, for obvious reasons. She first worked at the tourist toilets in the Queens Valley, but suffered harassment from the 'pig people persons' who worked there, so was moved to Mennon, where as I am sure you are aware, state police were/are in attendance, and therefore watched over her.

This dear lady knew me as Mr Don't be Silly, because I would not pay, simply because I was a local, and further more, she knew me well. Years later I was crossing the river on a motor boy, I offered the boy the usual 5le, " No, no". He said, "You are Mr Don't be Silly", this was one of her young sons who had come to teenage. Oh boy, how time swiftly moves.

When the time comes my dear Dr, when you can no longer live on the West Bank, please re-visit for holidays, then you will really realise how much the people liked you.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Great post cheers, and thanks almost bought 'a-tear to me eye, I intend to die in egypt it's a forgone conclusion.
We have a tried & tested deep freeze awaiting Nick's hasty arrival after my passing,
and along with our mate Salima they intend to mummify me. All filmed and all rights reserved.

I mean if it all goes tits-up, I'll end up next to Stan surrounded by all them virginal dead nuns.
But my idea! 'was to strap me on the donkey counterbalanced with crates of Stella's then up to the top
of Thoth Hill, everybody gets pi**ed & high and then let-off distress flares at dawn facing east of course.

Nick reckons I should be in a glass case enclosed in my stone diwan in the cinema, weirdo!.... 8)

Ps: Anyhow unless your a Co Op shareholder like us,
it costs a small fortune to 'cop-for-it in the UK.....
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I've been told that an English woman in Hurghada has died today from the coronavirus, nothing in the newsfeeds yet.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 pm Ps: Anyhow unless your a Co Op shareholder like us,
it costs a small fortune to 'cop-for-it in the UK.....
Well, I learnt quite recently that my brother has left his body on death to science, in other words his organs will go to where ever, and the rest will end up in some sort of surgeons dissection theatre for students, so that will save me a bob or two, if he goes before me.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Racist’: Outrage after Egyptian driver kicks out Asian passenger over corona panic.

‘Racist and shameful’

An Asian man was kicked out of a taxi car in Egypt and mocked by people shouting ‘corona, corona’ at him.

The incident has caused a backlash online.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 pm I hear the village kids on the WB have a new game shouting “Corona Corona” ...
Close to my home children shouted "corona" at my guests, laughingly encouraged by the parents.😷
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

To prevent getting this virus, may I suggest that you should purchase the following items.

1) 3pr Cotten garden gloves, those with little rubber dots on the inner side (£1 per from Asda, or Wilko's)
2) 1 bott Tomato sauce.
3) 1 twin pack Kitchen roll.
4) 1 old scarf.
5) 1 metal scraper ( an old putty knife would do.)

1) Protect yourself by using a pair of said gloves each time you go out. Wash the said gloves in a solution of mixed water-Detol, or Zan Izal disinfection, or better still Jeyes fluid..(highly addictive smell), at the end of each visit away from your home.

2) Because so many people are afraid of getting strange looks when using those silly Chinese masks. May I suggest get a few sheets of a kitchen roll underneath a scarf. It will look a little like you've been to the dentist, add tomato ketchup, if required to give that more realistic appeal. This will also help support the fact you can not be bothered to speak with people, whether friend or foe.

Well, the best idea I've seen on here so far.

P.S. - What is this Oceanus thing in Luxor, some of the silent ( for there are many) old school on here are beginning to believe you're on the commission,....dread the thought.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Question ? "Are the Chinese tourist companies still flying into Egypt ?..... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:05 pm Question ? "Are the Chinese tourist companies still flying into Egypt ?..... 8)
I think all flights from China were suspended in January. Although EgyptAir were to resume a once-a-week flight from Cairo in Feb they’ve postponed that to mid March
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Also are the Japanese tourists still arriving?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm Also are the Japanese tourists still arriving?
As far as I know.

There have been some regrettable incidents of Japanese visitors being verbally abused....presumably because of the inability of the average Egyptian to distinguish them from Chinese.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

There have been some regrettable incidents of Japanese visitors being verbally abused....presumably because of the inability of the average Egyptian to distinguish them from Chinese.
That's dreadful. Knowing the Japanese culture you'll find they won't complain as such just a word to the guide on the boat, the word will get around and they just won't come.

Sadly the tribal mentality exists in Luxor and surrounding areas.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Devastated, they have just cancelled The London Marathon, all my training wasted ..Oh! well back to the pub... 8)
Sophocles.