Heroes

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Heroes

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

I've my own reasons to know just what heroes work within the NHS, but I dedicate this picture to all the front line workers around the world - some are recognised for their efforts, others not.
Heros.jpg
N.B. I can't attribute the originator of the picture because I don't know who made it - but all credit to them anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Heroes

Post by carrie »

Agree Hepzibah, all credit to the people of the UK going out and applauding the NHS workers during this difficult time.
But don't forget the dustmen, the postmen, the delivery drivers, the care workers, police, firemen, engineers, shop workers, all doing their bit to keep the good old UK afloat. Many other people who without which life would be so much more difficult.
I for one applaud you all.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Carrie, although the Thursday Clapping was originally for the NHS, it is now recognised and acknowledged that they are not the only key workers in this crisis. That being said, it is interesting to see video clips of e.g ambulance, police, and fire crews all outside hospitals clapping too, emergency lights on their vehicles strobing, and sirens blowing, all paying tribute to frontline NHS.workers.

Personally, I have always acknowledged, as best I can, other workers who I consider are essential or key workers, many who don't fall in the recognised realms. I printed a Thank You note and stuck it to the main door so it could be seen by the postie and delivery drivers, and also one for the binmen. I use my Facebook page too as a way of publically recognising and thanking, and raising awareness for, various key workers and groups. E.g. How often do we think about all the communication experts and techies out there that are enabling so much of our C21 lives.

This is very much a time of realising just who those unsung heroes are.
I am sure that many who go out and applaude on a Thursday evening are acknowledging more than the NHS too.

There is another positive that is coming out of this Thursday night ritual, and that is neighbours who rarely, if ever, see each other, are coming out of their homes and meeting - albeit from a safe distance - greeting, and forming friendships and community bonds.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

That is indeed wonderful news Hepzibah, so many isolated older people and young Mums, with babies often spend days alone.
I hope this feeling of neighborliness lasts for ever.
Good luck to them all.
Happy Ramadan.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I live in a very isolated situation. It is a large building (student Hall of Residence and I'm alone it under vulnerable isolation). There is a generous plot of land surrounding it - thank goodness so I can at least walk or sit outside. Around our boundary is a small development of appartments and houses. I know a two or three folk that have lived here since the houses were built, but only on a polite 'good morning' basis. I rarely see them as generally have no reason to pass their homes. I think many if the people living here are commuters or on fairly short term job placement rentals.
Since many have been coming out on a Thursday eveving, I have noticed that people are starting to wave down the road as each new person joins in. None of us move from our own gateways, but these small gestures are encouraging. It does help you (me) realise that we are not alone.
Yes, it would be great if this was a springboard to better neighbourliness. (Not that I have bad neighbours - we just don't really know each other's existance). Only time will tell if anything blossoms.

I can only give the example from my own life. I hope others are finding their situation the same...or better.
-Aldous Huxley