Hello Folks

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad

Hello Folks

Post by Grandad »

Hello Folks
First thanks to Carrie and BBlux for your welcoming comments. I am doing quite well Barry apart from the pesky Neuropathy that finished my car driving and I now rely on mobility scooters. The eyesight is very poor which was also a reason to stop driving.
IMG_20190730_113855.jpg
Carrie, as I don't get out and about very much now I am not sure what is happening to the autumn colours. All I can say is that we have a very mature row of large trees to the rear of us and so far they are not showing much colour change. This is taken today.
IMG_20201011_142118.jpg
It is a long time since I posted on here and as it is now seven years since our last visit to Egypt, our interest in the country has waned somewhat. We visited at least once a year, sometimes three times, over a period of twenty years and do miss revisiting and seeing so many friends. E4U, the green side, has been my chatty forum for quite a few years but that has run out of steam with little to chat about. Only ever a very small group but very chummy and a pleasure to be part of.
Looking in here I was drawn to the photo in Newcastle's post about the London Obelisk, Cleopatra's Needle. I have always liked numbers and stats and quite often my mind will wander around numbers mostly for no valid reason.
Two weeks ago my mother would have celebrated her 107'th birthday had she still been alive but she died 24 years ago so what is the point of my thought?
Newcastle reminds us that the Obelisk was finally erected in 1878, in mid Victorian times. My mind switches into gear and calculates that that was just 56 years before my birth. We have lived happily, but for too long really, for 51 years in our current home, approximately the same length of time from the Obelisk to my birth. Another "what is the point of that" thought?
With a medical history as long as your arm I count myself lucky that I am now into the second half of my eighties and so far have steered clear of Covid. I suppose having now reached an age where I can qualify as "a grumpy old man", to have idle and pointless thoughts is excusable. BUT. thoughts such as mine DO put things into perspective and show how short our lives are in the big scale of things.......
End of waffle ;) ;) :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad :gg:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Hello Folks

Post by carrie »

A friend of mine 84 this year and until this year has spent 6 months of the winter here. She is now using what she calls her chariot to get about in the UK.
She finds it frustrating sometimes because people get in her way. She is considering having spikes attached to her wheels rather like Ben Hur.
I would hate to be a pedestrian in Derby when she is out and about.