Vaccine

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Vaccine

Post by carrie »

There seems to be a lot of different vaccines becoming available to help prevent covid, some of them don't seem to be getting very good reviews.
Will you have one?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Vaccine

Post by newcastle »

I certainly will.

I take no notice of the asocial media “experts” and conspiracy theorists.

I understand why some vaccines are being approved in record time...historically speaking.

At the end of the day, all medicines/vaccines carry some risk. It seems blatantly obvious that the risk involved with those vaccines which have run the vigorous gauntlet of tests is far less than the consequences of being infected.....at least for someone of my age and health.

It’s a no- brainer.

As for those who think differently...it’s a free world. Do what you want. The more that decline the vaccine, the quicker it will be my turn!😂
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Newcastle wrote "At the end of the day, all medicines/vaccines carry some risk."
Do different vaccines contain different ingredients then?
I only ask because -just an example - antibiotics. Some antibiotics containing clavulanic acid I cant take as they make me violently sick. Is it likely that some vaccines might contain ingredients that wouidnt suit everyone but be perfectly OK for others? Or do problems only occur with medication taken orally?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:30 pm Newcastle wrote "At the end of the day, all medicines/vaccines carry some risk."
Do different vaccines contain different ingredients then?
I only ask because -just an example - antibiotics. Some antibiotics containing clavulanic acid I cant take as they make me violently sick. Is it likely that some vaccines might contain ingredients that wouidnt suit everyone but be perfectly OK for others? Or do problems only occur with medication taken orally?
We’re all different and might react differently to the ingredients in anything taken orally or injected. Two nurses injected with the Pfizer vaccine recently had anaphylactoid reactions.

When you’re prescribed medication, it’s routine to ask whether you’re allergic to that particular medication.

Of course, we don’t always know what we’re allergic to.....a particular problem with any new medicine or vaccine. And, as you surmise, what causes a reaction in some, doesn’t in others. And the vaccines being rolled out are quite different both in what they contain and how they operate.

It’s a bit of a lottery but, as I wrote, it’s basically a risk versus benefits calculation.....and an easy one for me.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well I will have the vaccine if offered. I hope it is successful everywhere.
The number of lives it would save would be in the 1000s, even if some were adversely affected surely the greatest good for the greatest number does apply here.
Freedom to travel again, wouldn't it be great. Stock up on the Bailey's and After Eight Yildez.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Carrie, as soon as lockdown ends Monday morning I’ll race down to Migros and stock up supplies!!!

I have decided not to have the vaccine, although I’m eligible as a wrinkly, and it’s free. Turkey has bought vaccine from China, which I’m not keen on, and in any case I have several severe allergies, including 3 antibiotics, which judging by the UK news makes it a dodgy proposition anyway.

Here in Datca there are positive cases, but they seem to be slightly reducing from a couple of weeks ago. However, currently in Turkey there are 32,000 new cases, and over 200 deaths, every day. The Public Health department stated this morning that 1 in every 139 people are Covid positive - very frightening!

It seems certain that in addition to the current restrictions - wrinklies only allowed out 10.00-13.00, and total lockdown over the weekends - the government will impose lockdown on the whole country from December 29 - January 2 or 3 to stop people gathering together for New Year, usually a big event here. No people allowed out, no vehicles on the roads, so no travel, for 4 or 5 days. It’s going to be grim!

I shall continue as I have for the last 9 months. Mask all the time I’m outside my house, social distancing, and visitors entertained only in the garden. It’s tedious, but safe.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Yildez wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 am

I have decided not to have the vaccine, although I’m eligible as a wrinkly, and it’s free.
Understandable given your known allergies and the fact that you will be making stringent efforts to avoid being infected.

There’s nothing wrong with an informed decision not to take the vaccines. Unfortunately, so many base their decisions on anecdotal, ill- informed, pseudo-scientific garbage they’ve picked up on social media.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I agree completely Yildez, I know how careful you have been and the medical problems you face.It must have been extremely scary when the men in haz suits arrived at the neighbors house.
None the less I am hoping to see you again this coming year, I will sleep in the garden with Sid.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Sid? Sleeping in the garden? Not on your life! He’s used to a nice comfy bed, with a thick duvet, and - at the moment - an electric blanket! I asked him, and he miaowed the equivalent of “On yer bike!!”
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

OK I was stocking up on cat treats he's had it now.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:43 am OK I was stocking up on cat treats he's had it now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I understand lots of vaccines contain egg in them. Not good if you're a vegan!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:51 am I understand lots of vaccines contain egg in them. Not good if you're a vegan!
According to The Vegan Society :
However, it has never been more important for us to talk about the definition of veganism in the context of medications, including vaccines. The definition of veganism recognises that it is not always possible or practicable to avoid animal use, which is particularly relevant to medical situations. In the case of Covid-19, vaccination will play a fundamental role in tackling the pandemic and saving lives. As all vaccines currently are tested on animals, at this stage it is impossible to have a vaccine that has been created without animal use.
So, while the egg content is frowned upon, they accept it’s unavoidable.

Notwithstanding....a shot across the bows of any compulsion :
In the unlikely event that Covid-19 vaccinations are made mandatory, and if exceptions are made for people with certain religious beliefs, a vegan who wants to refuse vaccination would be able to request the same right to exemption. You can access information about compulsory vaccination here, and giving informed consent for vaccinations here.
I can see them chaining themselves to the railings of Buckingham Palace.

Mad as a box of frogs , the lot of them 8)

Reminds me of Muslims who refuse to use other than alcohol-free shampoo :lol: