Back to skool..

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Back to skool..

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm MEME, Mines Electrical and Mechanical Engineer. Yes I would go underground, mainly for Ventilation purposes, measuring noxious and toxic gases like Methane and Carbon Monoxide. Also would measure roadway airflow with an Anamometer, and Ducted airflow with Pitot Tube and Magnahelic Guage. I was also a part of the Underground Rescue Team Wath 2. Worked at Wath upon Deaths Colliery. My last year before closure of the mines was at Area Offices at Manvers. You see what I mean about knowing someone.....
A sort of human canary? :lol:
3B310237-B8CD-42B7-B33D-371E2BBCBF8F.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by newcastle on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm I was also a part of the Underground Rescue Team Wath 2. Worked at Wath upon Deaths Colliery.
I assume you mean Wath upon Dearn, but Wath upon Deaths seems apt. I had reason to visit that town in the late 70's and I don't think I'd been anywhere gloomier at that point in my life.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Major Thom wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm I was also a part of the Underground Rescue Team Wath 2. Worked at Wath upon Deaths Colliery.
I assume you mean Wath upon Dearn, but Wath upon Deaths seems apt. I had reason to visit that town in the late 70's and I don't think I'd been anywhere gloomier at that point in my life.
Evidently you was not there long enough to get the name correct, it's Dearne, being Wath upon Dearne, and as with so many small coal mining towns like this in either England or Wales each of these towns were known as 'pictures' within a golden frame, in other words towns with heavy industry, though surrounded by such beautiful countryside.

As to the idea that you thought that this was the gloomiest place you had seen up to that point in your life, all I can say to that is, you had seen little of the real world, and if you are still of the same oppinion, may I suggest you visit an area of East London today, known as Crisp Street, a shite hole of deprivation on an almost biblical scale.

With regards the 'bar flies', who's only real purpose is to slag off Major Thom on this forum, though their numbers are certainly decreasing these days, I can only assume jealousy. A person who openly admitted the era of investing in a home in Luxor Egypt, and failed. Certain persons, I KNOW, on this forum, both past and present lost their homes they had bought, who can now only rent in the place they lost everything,......now that is sad, though they make no comment here about their own difficult existence, to the fact that they can not even afford to return to their native homeland.

My time on this forum these days is very limited, there are quite a number of things happening in Luxor that are being missed, perhaps there is room here for the old honest members who once contributed to this forum who are sadly missed, to return, though even I have to admit itno longer is the interesting place it once was.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Surprised you turned to mining MT I would have thought that ex coppers were not so popular amongst that community, or was this before the miners strike?
Personally I have the greatest admiration for anyone who works in the mines what ever their job.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:01 pm

I assume you mean Wath upon Dearn, but Wath upon Deaths seems apt.

Evidently you was not there long enough to get the name correct,

Evidently YOU didn’t spend enough time at school to learn basic English grammar :lol:

My time on this forum these days is very limited.....
I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:11 am

I assume you mean Wath upon Dearn, but Wath upon Deaths seems apt.

Evidently you was not there long enough to get the name correct,

Evidently YOU didn’t spend enough time at school to learn basic English grammar :lol:

My time on this forum these days is very limited.....
I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies :lol:
" oh, you are awful"
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I used to call it Wath on Death, I know it should be Wath on Dearne but the posters that have commented will realise why I called it Wath on Death. No spelling mistake it was intended....
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Before the Miners Strike Carrie.... I am still in touch with quite a few of them, and we're during the strike
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Evidently you was not there long enough to get the name correct, it's Dearne, being Wath upon Dearne, and as with so many small coal mining towns like this in either England or Wales each of these towns were known as 'pictures' within a golden frame, in other words towns with heavy industry, though surrounded by such beautiful countryside.

As to the idea that you thought that this was the gloomiest place you had seen up to that point in your life, all I can say to that is, you had seen little of the real world, and if you are still of the same opinion, may I suggest you visit an area of East London today, known as Crisp Street, a shite hole of deprivation on an almost biblical scale.
I don't think I've ever seen the name of said town written down. I was young at the time of my visit there, I was not responsible for getting us there so I didn't really need to know how it was spelt.
Actually, the place was always referred to, and still is when I am with people who were on the same visit, as 'Wrath' upon Dearne. (I add the final 'e' now I have been educated.)

It is true, at that stage in my life I had seen little of the world outside of the east coast working class environment which I grew up in. Since those days, I have travelled to many places around the world - my world has both grown and got smaller. I have witnessed scenes of poverty and deprivation that even now I find hard to describe. I certainly don't need to go to London to seek it out.

If you have classed me as a 'bar fly', believe me, my comments were based upon a recognition and memory of a place which he mentioned. I certainly have no thoughts of jealousy.

A-Four wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:01 pmWith regards the 'bar flies', who's only real purpose is to slag off Major Thom on this forum, though their numbers are certainly decreasing these days, I can only assume jealousy.
A person who openly admitted the era of investing in a home in Luxor Egypt, and failed. Certain persons, I KNOW, on this forum, both past and present lost their homes they had bought, who can now only rent in the place they lost everything,......now that is sad, though they make no comment here about their own difficult existence, to the fact that they can not even afford to return to their native homeland.

My time on this forum these days is very limited, there are quite a number of things happening in Luxor that are being missed, perhaps there is room here for the old honest members who once contributed to this forum who are sadly missed, to return, though even I have to admit itno longer is the interesting place it once was.
A-Four, for some reason whenever you post you find it necessary to point out your time limitation. You really don't have to. In fact, it is boring. Every member of these forums post as and when they choose. I would however suggest that when you do post and are pointing out to other posters their errors, you make sure that there are no glaring ones in your own posts.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:01 pm I used to call it Wath on Death, I know it should be Wath on Dearne but the posters that have commented will realise why I called it Wath on Death. No spelling mistake it was intended....
No one accused you of misspelling the mining town.
A-Four chose to single me out for that, despite his own spelling mistakes in the same post.

As I have stated, we had our own nickname for the place i.e. Wrath on Dearne, so your comment on this occasion was clear to me.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

What would we do without pedantics lol.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:25 am What would we do without pedantics lol.

Same as we would do with “pedants” ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I joined the NCB because I moved 2 Shires North, nothing sinister at all.
I was never a one for sitting back, I always loved new avenues to e.xplore
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Nothing sinister? I don't think anyone suggested that there was.
We have enough paranoid nutters in the news lately with out you joining the club. :lol: