The Prince Philip dies

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: The Prince Philip dies

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Back then, Royals tended to marry who they were told to marry, unfortunately for them.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:50 pm Back then, Royals tended to marry who they were told to marry, unfortunately for them.
Not only that, they usually had to marry other royals.

It was quite something when Prince Albert ( later king George VI) married a commoner in the shape of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon....although there were earlier cases. If the intended spouse wasn’t royal, they were usually from a titled family.

In many royal families, marrying without the consent of the monarch automatically excluded you from the succession. From memory this is still the case in the Danish royal family.

The consent of the monarch to marry was only recently abandoned in the British royal family.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

When it comes to royalty I think it would be fair to say I'm somewhat ambivalent. I'm not particularly a royalist, but I can see their importance in the British life and times to date. I would imagine that most British people born before the year 2000 AD would have a basic knowledge of who the members of the Royal Family are, certainly the 'senior' royals, and a little about them. I thought I knew a reasonable amount about Prince Philip, but this last week I have probably learnt more about him than I had gleaned throughout my lifetime.

Today, the funeral service was held. For a funeral that had to be greatly pared back to the one originally planned because of the Covid-19 restrictions it was still so full of pomp and ceremony. Confined within the enclosure of Windsor Castle, but perhaps more visible to the general public via the television than it might have been under normal circumstances, hopefully it met Prince Philips desire for something more private and personal. Apparently he choreographed the arrangements, chose the music, etc. so it can only be hoped that it met his design and desire. It was a very personal service - in that it focussed on his personal/civic/royal services - yet it was somehow oddly impersonal too because it lacked a eulogy and there were no references to his more personal life - that of a husband, father, grandfather etc. I think there was just one brief comment towards the end that used the word 'husband'.

The saddest part of the whole proceedings was seeing the queen seated alone throughout the ceremony, although at least her Lady in Waiting travelled with her in the car. I can't imagine knowing anyone for 70+ years, never mind being married to someone for that length of time. Photographs taken of them together in their later life reflect the ones taken of them in their courtship and throughout their lives, and you can seen the love between them, especially in the queen's eyes. The nature of their 'jobs' meant that they were often alone for long periods of time, so it is good that they were able to spend the last year together, but now she is a widow and, despite a large family, alone.

On a positive note, it was good to see the Princes William and Harry, along with the Duchess of Cambridge, walking back from the chapel to the Windsor residence together and appearing to engage in conversation. Let's hope this last week has been the spark they needed to start to get their relationship back on to more solid ground. (I also hope that the media outlets use that scene wisely because they certainly reported the fact that the princes would not be walking next to each other in the procession in a very mischievous way.)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I thought the funeral went off very well. We British are unsurpassed when it comes to this kind of thing, even with the need to accommodate covid restrictions.

The music was well chosen and, having been subjected to a week of Prince Philip’s biography, I was happy to forego a eulogy!

Beautiful weather for a beautiful ceremony....made all the better, in my opinion, by the absence of a crowd of onlookers.

I can’t begin to imagine the loss the Queen must feel and recent years have not been kind with several difficult family issues. But she has many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren who’ll make sure she doesn’t get lonely.

I’m currently watching a TV program about Queen Victoria and how she reacted to widowhood...not a happy example.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:34 pm
Beautiful weather for a beautiful ceremony....made all the better, in my opinion, by the absence of a crowd of onlookers.
The weather couldn't have been better. As the troops were gathering I thought how different it all would be if it had been raining, not specifically for them but for the coffin followers and the whole mood - a sad event becomes even sadder when the weather is miserable, and it would have been much more difficult to transport the coffin covered in a soaked and dripping flag.

I totally agree with you about absence of onlookers. Apart from allowing everyone, via the TV, equal viewing opportunity, it somehow made the event more dignified. (Or perhaps I should say that when there are crowds of onlookers, it can somehow make events less dignified.)

Hat's off the second group of coffin bearers. They may well be strong, well trained men, but they had to hold that coffin for a very long time and then climb that long flight of steps leading up to the chapel. A task no doubt undertaken with pride, but glad that pride did not come before a fall.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I only watched the funeral for the main part, about 45minutes. It was unbearably sad to see our "great and good" in such distress, but I was pleased to notice what seemed to be Camilla taking Prince Charles's hand after he had stepped into his place in the chapel. We all need the support of folk who love us at these times. God bless them!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Not really a monarchist, yet I found the whole thing strangely moving.
As Newcastle says we Brits do this kind of thing rather well.
The Queen looked so little and alone even though she was surrounded by her family however not close enough to offer a loving arm, due to Covid.
73 years of marriage what an achievement.
I have seen various items on the news with people offering their recollections of the Prince many spoke of his kindness and sense of humour.
I hope that HRH reigns for many more years, despite her age, none of the younger generation are in the same league.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have been trying to get Nick to 'spill the dirt on Prince Andrew.
He always answered 'I signed the Official Secrets act' this time he answered "I'm waiting until
he really falls under 'the carriage wheels."

Nick was a leading hand on The Hermes and had to hand out jobs and instruction to junior officers.
He has a lot of unsavory and funny stories about him. He was universally hated amongst the crew.

And the yarns about his night club antics in the far east are quite 'eye opening... 8)

Ps: My mate from The Sun says 'they have a huge file on Andrew, they won't ever publish..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I’m currently watching a TV program about Queen Victoria and how she reacted to widowhood...not a happy example.
I watched that over the weekend and despite Margaret Margolyes's colourful language at times, she did an excellent narration.