Quarantine on entering a country?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Quarantine on entering a country?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Because of the Covid19 pandemic many, if not all, countries have introduced various quarantine measures for both their own national returnees and international visitors. For many this can involve a period of up to 14 days in a government nominated hotel, at your own expense.

I have sometimes wondered how I would cope in such circumstances. I am quite used to spending a lot of time on my own, often of my own choosing, but to have to do so in a place not of my choosing and with very few options to keep myself entertained, motivated etc. and with food delivered to my door but not necessarily of my choice, could be quite challenging. I don't stay in hotels very often, but I think the novelty would soon wear off of staying in one that I could not go out from.

Over the last few days I have caught a few vlogs by Dianne Buswell, the Australian ballroom dancer know in the UK for being one of the professional dancers on Strictly Come Dancing. She has returned to Australia and is currently undergoing her 14 day quarantine period.
The clips I have seen are amusing in part, but also quite sad. She is clearly under normal circumstances a young, vibrant woman who keeps active. Stuck inside a hotel room, high up and with no opening window, is clearly having an effect on her. She has managed to hire an exercise bike to help keep her fitness up and give her something to do each day, but you can only do that for so long.
Perhaps one of the most exciting thing that happens is the knock at the door three times a day announcing that her food has arrived. However, these seem to be bags of very limited food, and an even more limited menu rotation - not exactly restaurant quality meals that you can select from the menu or breakfast buffet.
Yesterday, the highlight of her day was colouring the roots of her hair.

Seeing these vlogs made me think again about how I think I would cope in the same circumstances (not that I can think of any reason why I would be in the same circumstances as I have no plans to travel anywhere abroad for a long time to come). Probably foremost in my thoughts are, much as I agree with people having to quarantine, I think the prices charged are disgraceful. They are probably fine if you are getting the full hotel experience and able to use the normal hotel facilities, have decent meals, but for many people the charges are way over what they would normally look to pay if staying in a hotel (definitely that would be the case for me).
I know I would get frustrated by not being able to open a window and get fresh air. I hate air conditioning and much prefer to sleep summer and winter with an open window and a bit of natural airflow. Depending on where the hotel was, I would probably soon get bored with the view, and as they seem to be in cities the likelihood is there isn't much of a view anyway.
I think I would start my quarantine feeling very understanding of the situation, revelling in having a lie in, in a big comfy bed that I've not had to wash and iron the sheets for. However, the novelty of that would soon wear off, although I would likely gradually spend more and more time lounging about on it, because hotel rooms are not known for their comfortable furniture.
It's likely that I would soon go in to dossing, rather than dressing mode. There would be a limit to how many times I could exercise by pacing around a fairly limited space and counting the steps, whilst trying not bump into the end of the bed, or a stool, or my case.
Mealtimes, whilst they might seem interesting and exciting packed meal bags initially would soon lose their interest and I would either gorge on them immediately, or not touch them at all.
Time would become meaningless, and even in as short a span as 14 days, I would likely go Topsy Turvey, staying up late watching end to end films on TV and then not wanting to wake properly in the day.
That is very much how I think life would be for me as a singleton. Then I begin to wonder how I would cope if I had to share that space with another person. I think hotel quarantine could greatly test a relationship. As for having to quarantine with young children - perish the thought.

I didn't really intend to write an essay, so I will close by asking you ...
How do you think you would cope if you had to undergo quarantine in a government selected hotel, regardless of the country?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Quarantine on entering a country?

Post by newcastle »

In short....I think I’d cope quite well. No difference to my London existence except my food would be prepared and delivered each day.

I think I could get used to that...provided it was varied and good quality. :lol:

WiFi would be an absolute necessity.

Having said that, I baulk at the idea of paying £1750 for 10 nights in what is no more than a superior prison...in solitary confinement. Just doesn’t seem good value for money. Does that cost include the Covid-19 tests?

So.....my plan on leaving Egypt, when it’s time to return to London...and assuming Egypt is still “red” and all the current strictures in place....is to spend 10 days holidaying in some pleasant resort.

I’ll need to find one which is amber/green as far as UK is concerned, and doesn’t impose any onerous constraints on visitors from Egypt. A Greek island maybe....or Rumania. The latter is easy to reach from Hurghada and offers a range of scenic destinations.

Anyway...all pie in the sky ..as I’m here for at least 4 months and could easily stretch that to Christmas by postponing some medical appointments .
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

There was a documentary on tv recently showing what it's like to serve a sentence (it can only be called that) in the confines of a hotel which wasn't named. The poor guy was served food in disposable cartons with plastic cutlery which he described as disgusting. The view from his sealed window was another hotel block and the bath was full of soaking washing which he had no idea how to dry. He poked his head out of the door and was told by security to go back inside.

My guess is this poor guy who flew in from South Africa was not prepared for this incarceration and would eventually have health issues to contend with. Lets face it prisoners get a better deal in some of the 'Hiltons' scattered around the UK.

Sample clips on You Tube:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Moan, moan moan, that's all one hears about quarantining Oh! and their own mental health. 'nutters!
Get over it, 12 months at Her Majesty's pleasure whilst putting pen to paper did me the world of good.... 8)

Ps: "You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts"
Pss: And it doesn't cost one £1800 per week..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The answer must surely be don't travel, saves quarantine and saves money. Personally I don't think it would bother me too much, I do like my own company, and it would give me time to listen to my music. Myself and wife are moving soon to an even quieter village, with a population of less than 100, just to get away from people. The village only has one other couple of ex pat's, which you can bet is another retired ex SAS Major and his wife. At least they live the other end of the village.....Our new home will have no close nieghbours, and the average age is 60. Bliss!! I just hope Ben Fogle does not want to pay us a visit!! Ha Ha
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have been giving this some thought, I quite like my own company and don't feel the need to be surrounded by people all the time. I thought I would be OK if I had internet and plenty of books. 12 days after all isn't very long.
On second thoughts though if I chose to be isolated that would be quite peaceful and maybe liberating, it's different if it forced upon you. Choosing not to go out is quite different from not being able to. Having isolation imposed upon you being told what you can and cannot do. I think I would have great difficulty getting my mind around that.
If I lived in the UK and wanted to visit Egypt then the idea of forced quarantine on my return would certainly be a deterrent to my visiting.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

carrie wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 am I have been giving this some thought, I quite like my own company and don't feel the need to be surrounded by people all the time. I thought I would be OK if I had internet and plenty of books. 12 days after all isn't very long.
On second thoughts though if I chose to be isolated that would be quite peaceful and maybe liberating, it's different if it is forced upon you. Choosing not to go out is quite different from not being able to. Having isolation imposed upon you being told what you can and cannot do. I think I would have great difficulty getting my mind around that.
If I lived in the UK and wanted to visit Egypt then the idea of forced quarantine on my return would certainly be a deterrent to my visiting.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 am I have been giving this some thought, I quite like my own company and don't feel the need to be surrounded by people all the time. I thought I would be OK if I had internet and plenty of books. 12 days after all isn't very long.
On second thoughts though if I chose to be isolated that would be quite peaceful and maybe liberating, it's different if it forced upon you. Choosing not to go out is quite different from not being able to. Having isolation imposed upon you being told what you can and cannot do. I think I would have great difficulty getting my mind around that.
Like Carrie, I’m perfectly happy with my own company, can amuse myself with no difficulty - reading, painting, gardening etc etc. In 2020 the over 65’s here in Turkey were put on total lockdown for over 3 months - we were unable to leave our homes for ANY reason other than a medical emergency, allowed no visitors except shopping deliveries. Initially it didn’t bother me too much, a kind friend did my shopping, paid my bills etc. The loss of my wonderful cleaning lady was a blow as I do NOT do housework, but I continued to pay her half her wages as I knew she’d be struggling for money. ‘It’s fine’ I thought, ‘I have everything I need, no problem.’

It was NOT fine!!! Not at all!!! It was DIABOLICAL,!!

If asked, before lockdown, if I went out much, I’d have said nope, not much. But I soon realised that actually I DO go out frequently, if only to shop. I shop mainly in the smaller stores where I know most of the staff, and visits include a catch up on their families and the latest local gossip. I usually stop for tea, and the same the same thing applies. I often stop for a little rest by the sea, just to enjoy the view. I have a walk round the harbour and stop for a G&T if the sun is over the yard arm! None of it possible for 14 weeks. For the rest of 2020, and the first 5 months of 2021, lockdowns continued for us oldies, although we were allowed out from 10.00-13.00 Monday to Friday. For most of us it felt like we were under house arrest.

To say it was difficult is an understatement. Did I cope? Well, I had to, no choice really, but I had a constant low level of stress/depression, and found that despite having many interests I couldn’t concentrate on any of them. I’ve hardly picked up a brush since March 2020, and while I’ve continued to read voraciously it’s been light fiction, and re-reading old favourites, nothing that requires real attention.

Since mid May the lockdowns for oldies has been lifted IF you’ve had both Covid vaccinations, (I have) although there are still curfews in place - 22.00 - 5.00 every night, and full lockdown all day Sunday. I can go out and about as I like, and it’s absolutely wonderful. Trust me, I FULLY appreciate my freedom.

Two weeks forced quarantine in a government facility? Don’t underestimate how difficult it will be!

PS after 12 weeks without her, Zuhal, my cleaning lady, was able to resume her duties - thank goodness!!!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Zuhal is a treasure even if she does re organize everything when she comes.
When I become a millionaire I am going to send a plane for her once a week together with your fantastic hairdresser.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:23 am Zuhal is a treasure even if she does re organize everything when she comes.
When I become a millionaire I am going to send a plane for her once a week together with your fantastic hairdresser.
:a50: :a50: :a50: :a50: :a50:

But you’re right, Zuhal is a treasure and I don’t know how I’d manage without her!!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

As someone who is also quite content in their own company, and who under normal circumstamces spends a lot of time alone - sometimes by circumstances and at other times by choice - I got through the UK Lockdowns fairly well. I was borderline 'vulnerable' so took the decision to isolate volunrarily. It really was no hardship and for months I barely saw anyone although, when it became OK for a little socially distanced meeting, friends would occasionally pop round whilst on their walks and spend a few minutes with me...outdoors, at way more than 2meters. I was fortunate in having the run of a large building with equally large grounds, so I could get out and enjoy the lovely weather we had last spring and summer.
I think if I had had to isolate somewhere that had no access to open space it would have been a very different story.

When I look at Diane Buswell's blogs from her government enforced 14 day quarantine (and she is just an example of many), and take in the size of the room, the fact that it is surrounded by equally high rise buildings, that you can't open the window to get a breath of air, and the window is filthy so hard to look out of, I realise I might well go a little mad if in the same situation.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We are on the move again, NOT FROM CYPRUS, but to a more isolated area, so we will have people around us but not for over a mile as the crow flies, so don't think isolation would bother us at all. We do like our own company its idyllic for us.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:hp
Major Thom wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:42 am We are on the move again, NOT FROM CYPRUS, but to a more isolated area, so we will have people around us but not for over a mile as the crow flies, so don't think isolation would bother us at all. We do like our own company its idyllic for us.
Choosing to live in a reclusive life yet still having the freedom to roam and be able to take exercise outdoors, or the luxuty of being able to open a window to get some fresh air, and to be able to eat your choice if hot and cold foods is one thing. Having a rule enforced on you which means you are confined to a very limited indoor space, cannot so much as open a window to get fresh air, and having to eat a limited, repetitive, menu if uninspierd food, could well make living in your own solitude somewhat stressful.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 am :hp
Major Thom wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:42 am We are on the move again, NOT FROM CYPRUS, but to a more isolated area, so we will have people around us but not for over a mile as the crow flies, so don't think isolation would bother us at all. We do like our own company its idyllic for us.
Choosing to live in a reclusive life yet still having the freedom to roam and be able to take exercise outdoors, or the luxuty of being able to open a window to get some fresh air, and to be able to eat your choice if hot and cold foods is one thing. Having a rule enforced on you which means you are confined to a very limited indoor space, cannot so much as open a window to get fresh air, and having to eat a limited, repetitive, menu if uninspierd food, could well make living in your own solitude somewhat stressful.
Which is why I’ll be returning to UK via an amber or green country 8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:42 am
HEPZIBAH wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 am :hp
Which is why I’ll be returning to UK via an amber or green country 8)
Fine if you can keep up with the ever changing lists around the world. :roll:
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

So you have a PCR test in Egypt, fly to a green country then from there fly back to the UK. How long do you have to stay in the "green" country before you can return safely to the UK. Surely by then the PCR test will be outdated. Will you have to have yet another test in that country before returning?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:44 pm So you have a PCR test in Egypt, fly to a green country then from there fly back to the UK. How long do you have to stay in the "green" country before you can return safely to the UK. Surely by then the PCR test will be outdated. Will you have to have yet another test in that country before returning?
You’d need to stay for at least 10 days and take a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of flying to UK. However these tests are quick and cheap and could include tests such as:

a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests

an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device.

Then you have another test on day 2 after you arrive.

If coming from an amber country you have 10 days of quarantining in your own hone plus tests on day 2 and 8.

In answer to Hepzibah’s point....yes, it does mean keeping abreast of changing rules. But anything rather than 10 days in some dingy hell hole of a hotel.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:15 am
carrie wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:44 pm So you have a PCR test in Egypt, fly to a green country then from there fly back to the UK. How long do you have to stay in the "green" country before you can return safely to the UK. Surely by then the PCR test will be outdated. Will you have to have yet another test in that country before returning?
You’d need to stay for at least 10 days and take a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of flying to UK. However these tests are quick and cheap and could include tests such as:

a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests

an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device.

Then you have another test on day 2 after you arrive.

If coming from an amber country you have 10 days of quarantining in your own hone plus tests on day 2 and 8.

In answer to Hepzibah’s point....yes, it does mean keeping abreast of changing rules. But anything rather than 10 days in some dingy hell hole of a hotel.
Do costs factor into the equation?

Flying to, and staying in, a green or amber country, won't come cheap. The hotel part of the experience may be better but will that necessarily outweigh the extra travel, time, and general uncertainties?
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I don't think there will be many visiting the UK from Egypt very soon nor vice versa.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@Hepzibah

Obviously, the time and costs involved in returning to UK via an amber/ green destination won’t suit everyone. But I’ve already investigated the extra fight cost of return via Ibiza or Greece and it’s around £100-£150 . The extra tests ....probably less than £200.

And you can have a pretty comfortable stay for 10 days for less than £1000.

If you’re going to have to fork out £1750 for a grim quarantine hotel, it’s a no-brainer as far as I’m concerned.

This doesn’t represent a viable encouragement for people to visit Egypt.....merely an option for those who’ve decided to come, for one reason or another, but don’t fancy the hotel quarantining on return. And I’ve read some real horror stories 8)

It does presuppose having the freedom and flexibility ....which I have in spades!