An I hate my job day ........

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

An I hate my job day ........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When you have an 'I Hate My Job day'

[Even if you're retired, you sometimes have those days]

Try this out:

Stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and

purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson.

Be very sure you get this brand.

When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed.

Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite chair. Open the package and remove the thermometer.

Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken.

Now the fun part begins. Take out the literature from the box and read itcarefully.

You will notice that in small print there is a statement:

"Every Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson is personally tested and then sanitized."

Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times,' I am so glad I do not work in the thermometer quality control department at Johnson & Johnson.'

HAVE A NICE DAY; AND REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE WITH A JOB THAT IS MORE OF A PAIN IN THE ASS THAN YOURS!

Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your
heart....

Maybe you should go and work for Johnson and Johnson!

Enjoy life now - It has an expiration date!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: An I hate my job day ........

Post by Zooropa »

There are many stories that basically have the same theme - someone worse off than you etc.

Im sorry, I hate my job, the fact that someone, somewhere has a worse job than me is absolutely no use, comfort or compensation to me whatsoever.

If im eating a meal I don't like, the fact that there are people who have less food does not make it taste any better.

How can you have a "I hate my job" day if you are retired?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Does anybody ever truly retire? :P

I AM retired from the work I did in a professional capacity and therefore don't keep 8 to 5 hours however I still 'work' (not man-well labour but I am required to think) in my own businesses. Being the Boss has to have some perks ya know ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Does anybody ever truly retire? :P

Well, put it this way, if the answer to that question up until now is no, then it wont still be the case as soon as i'm able - il be gone!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just out of curiosity - what does retirement mean to you?

For me retirement was not having to show up in an office, not having to wear a business suit and not having to report to higher ups.

I never defined retirement for me as not having work to do. I have several business ventures that requires me to mentally work and from time to time be present on a more or less regularly irregular basis.

I personally never hated the day job either. Actually thrived on it ;) :up
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Retirement to me, I suspect is the same as it is for most people although obviously not you LLL.

Not having to offer my services to anyone for payment.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think a well planned retirement is hard work in and of itself. Takes work to plan to have fun! ;) ;) ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I think a well planned retirement is hard work in and of itself. Takes work to plan to have fun! ;) ;) ;)
Well, that's just silly, if you are going to do that then this debate is pointless.

In any case you wouldn't know because by what you have said you are not retired.

Your still working.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Daresay,I'm one of a "rare"breed!
I actually love my work!At home,I'm mostly always on my own..and I get bored so quickly!
That can lead to a tendency to drink too much..and think too much!
Yes,I enjoy a day off..but always plan something to do with it,be it shopping,a day trip,lunch with sister,family,etc.
With the way NHS pensions are going,I'll probably be working til I'm about 84!
Just think on..the decrepit,incontinent,treating the ill and sick.
I honestly think retirement will be the death of me!
It'll be a living hell..too old and unstable to actually enjoy it.
So..for the moment,I'll just keep looking forward to my working life..with good workmates,lovely men in ward..and good times.
I don't wanna think about my old age.
If someone had pill and formula for eternal life..I'd be first in queue to buy it!
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Grumpy remarks .. PMS ?
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Jayway wrote:Grumpy remarks .. PMS ?
No, not at all.

But it is frustrating if you are debating about "work" and "retirement" and then get told that any action, even planning for retirement is "work" and that possibly no one "really retires" then it becomes pointless.

What was the point of raising the issue in the first place if afterwards your going to be told that?

I just thought it was silly.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Scottishtourist wrote:With the way NHS pensions are going,I'll probably be working til I'm about 84!
Good!

Like those of us in the private sector have realised and accepted a long time ago.

You wont see me shedding tears at your predicament!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Z - did you happen to notice that I posted this entire ditty in the "Just for Fun Section?"
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Z - did you happen to notice that I posted this entire ditty in the "Just for Fun Section?"

Yes I did LLL - But, as these things tend to do, it moved onto more general conversation after I commented and you then asked about anyone truly retiring.

In any case, all I said was that it was silly, wouldn't you expect that kind of comment on a "just for fun post"!?! ;)
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Scottishtourist wrote: With the way NHS pensions are going,I'll probably be working til I'm about 84!
With your gold-plated public centre pension do you really expect any sympathy?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We all make choices as to education that leads to career choices and where we work.

If you take a job Public Sector Gov't job that offers pensions that perk offsets all the bonus' and perks that those who opt to work Private Sector can get that are not available to gov't employees.

Crying sour milk doesn't wash.

We all educate, choose our respective careers and reap the rewards and pitfalls.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:We all make choices as to education that leads to career choices and where we work.

If you take a job Public Sector Gov't job that offers pensions that perk offsets all the bonus' and perks that those who opt to work Private Sector can get that are not available to gov't employees.

Crying sour milk doesn't wash.

We all educate, choose our respective careers and reap the rewards and pitfalls.
Complete rubbish, the only people that make real "choices" are those whos families have money, the rest of us have to take our chances, only those that could afford further education could consistently "choose" their careers.

Im really annoyed, as far as the British system is concerned you speak with great ignorance.

Yes, I did make the choice to work in the private sector rather than the public sector based on the situation at the time, and, if things had not changed since then, then you might have an argument but they have changed.

When I left school the choice was this - Public sector - where you have a good pension to offset the lower pay than you could get in the private sector or the private sector, where you largely had to invest in your own pension (which I did from age 21) but had the benefit of higher pay.

Things have changed radically, now, average pay in the public sector outstrips average pay in the private sector but every time governments of every colour try to offset the increased burden of funding public sector pensions given now that pay is better on average than the private sector there are strikes and cries of "unfair".

My pension, like many others was miss sold to me and after paying the recommended amount for over 25 years its worth less than many in the public sector who have only been building theirs up for 10, and of course they pay little or nothing towards theirs in comparison to those of us in the private sector.

In the private sector we have seen our pay fall behind that of the public sector so if they want to keep their lovely pensions although their pay has increased why cant we keep our pay at least on a par of that of the public sector?

The answer to that of course is that private sector jobs are there for the company itself and its share holders whilst public sector jobs, in some areas, increasingly appear to be, being run for the benefit of its employees.

Ive had to wave goodbye to a decent pension even though ive paid it for over 25 years and its worth nothing like it was projected to be worth, why, as a taxpayer am I being forced to pay to maintain the pensions of public sector workers even though my own is pitiful and their low pay for which they had a good pension as compensation for in the first place has now risen above ours in the private sector?

Ive worked all my life in the private sector and let me tell you, bonuses do not exist to the extent or in the amounts that some people think, again "bonuses and perks" to the extent that you are suggesting only exist at the very top in the private sector.

Its painfully ironic as those on the best bonuses and perks are those at the top of the public sector - extremely disgusting levels of pay and perks topped off with a golden handshake if you cock it up, if we cock up in the private sector you get your arse booted out the door and your bus fare home.

As for "perks" my old boss once told me that the only perk I would get is the fact that I would have a job after the weekend.

If those in the public sector are allowed to cry "foul" because the goalposts have been moved then those of us in the private sector should be allowed to as well.

But we cant, and they can.

If anyone has a right to cry "foul" its private sector workers who generate the profits to maintain public sector workers standard of living whilst ours drops with nothing that we can do about it.

Its quite obvious from your previous posts on this thread that you are not living on the poverty line so I wouldn't expect you to have the first idea of how this "sour" milk that those of us in the private sector have to drink tastes like.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh cry me a river ..... My parents were dirt poor when I was born. No running water, no indoor plumbing, no insulation in the house, hand me down everything. I had to hand milk goats starting 4am so we could sell the milk. Bought my first 'new' dress when I was 17 cause I needed it for the job I had at 17. Don't hand out the 'you don't know what it is like - cause I DO KNOW exactly what it is like to be a single mom of 2 kids age new born and 15 months without a pot to proverbially P*ss in. I know..........I also know what it is like to work hard, work several jobs, raise a family and study my arse off at the same time. I know what it is like to sell myself, change employment, save pennies, take risks and do whatever I had to do to #1 survive, #2 have a good life and #3 get ahead.

My philosophy is - You can't have it all all the time. You're gonna pay at one end of life or the other. You can save and scrimp on the front end when you're young which will set you well for later life OR you can live it up early on, spend everything you make, new plan a life course and have fun BUT then you pay by working well on into later life.

All about choices. If you weren't monitoring where your money went and into which fund whose fault is that if what you put aside is less now than when you're older and will need it to live on? If you were in a job that wasn't going anywhere did you take extra courses and credits so as to be able to move into another job and/or make more money at your existing job?

All about the choices you make. Being born rich or poor doesn't cut except if you're born Uber-rich but that is really like only 1% of the population so hardly enough to skew any stats.

Are you perhaps working for Johnson & Johnson in the thermometer department Z?
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Oh cry me a river ..... My parents were dirt poor when I was born. No running water, no indoor plumbing, no insulation in the house, hand me down everything. I had to hand milk goats starting 4am so we could sell the milk. Bought my first 'new' dress when I was 17 cause I needed it for the job I had at 17. Don't hand out the 'you don't know what it is like - cause I DO KNOW exactly what it is like to be a single mom of 2 kids age new born and 15 months without a pot to proverbially P*ss in. I know..........I also know what it is like to work hard, work several jobs, raise a family and study my arse off at the same time. I know what it is like to sell myself, change employment, save pennies, take risks and do whatever I had to do to #1 survive, #2 have a good life and #3 get ahead.

My philosophy is - You can't have it all all the time. You're gonna pay at one end of life or the other. You can save and scrimp on the front end when you're young which will set you well for later life OR you can live it up early on, spend everything you make, new plan a life course and have fun BUT then you pay by working well on into later life.

All about choices. If you weren't monitoring where your money went and into which fund whose fault is that if what you put aside is less now than when you're older and will need it to live on? If you were in a job that wasn't going anywhere did you take extra courses and credits so as to be able to move into another job and/or make more money at your existing job?

All about the choices you make. Being born rich or poor doesn't cut except if you're born Uber-rich but that is really like only 1% of the population so hardly enough to skew any stats.

Are you perhaps working for Johnson & Johnson in the thermometer department Z?
How poor you were is irrelevant - your lack of knowledge on the UK system is.

Im pleased you have done well but you might not have such a sunny disposition if you had been screwed over.

Its not about choices its about opportunity and fairness for all.

I have a good job and my peers who hold the same position mostly have good academic qualifications - I did not but have matched them but its not about me.

You make my pension situation sound like an isolated incident caused by bad advice from a spiv - again its down to your ignorance on the subject, this was a UK wide problem and there was a national compensation program that the government made the insurance industry pay out on - although in most cases it didn't compensate nearly enough.

Whos fault was it? - Do you think if it was even slightly the fault of the pension holders rather than the pension issuers they would have been forced to compensate?

Its not about crying a river its about everyone being treated fairly and the unjustness of the righteous ones working for the government being looked after through fear of strikes and bad press and making those unworthy ones that don't work for them pay for it through the wealth created by the private sector which is then disproportionately redistributed.

Id have more respect for you if you were still poor and held the same view.

In the interests of not making yourself look foolish I suggest you read up on the issue in this country, understand it and then come back and comment.

Before then I wont pay any attention to you lecturing me on a subject you obviously know nothing about.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh my goodness ( :urm: ) - wasn't I told off well and proper ....... (note to self - in future ignore the inane)