Hawass to write Opera on Tutankhamun

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Hawass to write Opera on Tutankhamun

Post by newcastle »

Emulating the great Verdi, who composed the opera AIDA for the opening of the Khedivial Opera House in Cairo, Zahi Hawass, the self-proclaimed world's greatest egyptologist, saviour of Egypt's heritage, incomparable author etc., etc., is to write an opera on the life of Tutankhamun.

We can only be relieved that the said pharaoh died young.

There's even rumours that he may appear in it himself....probably, as himself....possibly by himself.

All profits to the Hawass Home for Disgraced Luminaries of Egypt

By: Egypt Today staff Tue, Sep. 12, 2017

CAIRO- 12 September 2017: Famous Egyptian archaeologist Zahi Hawass announced on Monday, September 11, during his speech in the book signing ceremony of the Italian novel Il loto e il Papiro “The Lotus and Papyrus”, that he will write a special opera pertaining to the life of the great Pharaonic King Tutankhamen on the occasion of the centennial of the discovery of the king’s tomb.

‘’I will perform this opera in cooperation with some Italian artists,’’ Hawass stated during the ceremony that took place at the Ritz-Carlton hotel opposite the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

He expressed his wishes for the return of Italian tourists to Egypt and asserted his dissatisfaction with the delay of this issue, despite the fact that everyone now knows that all the Egyptian archaeological sites are completely protected, adding that Egypt is completely safe.

Parts of the new pharaonic Italian opera, titled “Papyrus and Lotus”, was shown on September 10 at Bibliotheca Alexandrina to highlight deep Egyptian-Italian relations, according to Hawass. Hawass has invited Francesco Santocono, the author of “The Lotus and Papyrus”, the book upon which the opera is based, and several Italian actors to visit Egypt and attend the show.

Presenting this play in Egypt aims to activate Egyptian tourism and to ensure that Egypt is safe, said Hawass previously to Middle East News Agency.

“Papyrus and Lotus”, which was performed in Italy in May 2017, focuses on Egypt’s fight against the Hyksos. It consists of three parts: the birth of Ahmose, the struggle led by Queen Ankh Hotep, and the betrayal of Set Nakhat, a new character added by Santocono.

Hawass, one of the most distinguished archaeologists worldwide, has many discoveries to his name; he is also the author of hundreds of books in different languages. His recent discoveries include the Tombs of the Pyramid Builders and the Valley of the Golden Mummies.

Among the important works of Hawass is that he headed the team that scanned King Tutankhamen’s mummy to unravel mysteries surrounding the lives and deaths of ancient Egyptian kings.

http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/223 ... utankhamen

P.S. I did think long & hard (trust me) as to where best to post this snippet of news...finally coming down on "Just 4 Fun"

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Hawass to write Opera on Tutankhamun

Post by John Landon »

Does this man's talents have no end ?
How can one man be so great, and yet us mere mortals can only shivver in his shadow.

I would have thought The Parcifal would be more up his street. ;)

Now, I have this crazy opinion about Tut, which I said I would share with you upon my return.
This is something I have been pondering since I was 10 years old, when I first saw a magazine about the discovery with lots of glossy pictures.
I was then fortunate enough to follow that up with a trip to Laaaaandaan to see the exhibition.
I even had first day cover of the postal stamps.

So next week I will write a small post, and see what you think. But do think carefully, as it does demand some attention. Even if you dont like what you see.

Sort of The Emporers new clothes, if you catch my drift ?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

"Parsifal" John?

Surely you mean "Farcical"

There's also his new video game to put on your Christmas letter to Santa....."Tomb Robbers II". based on real events, allegedly.

Not to mention his film ...." A Night in the Museum IV". A rare example of a horror movie which sends you to sleep.

The Emperor's New Clothes? If you mean that Tut went to Osiris adorned by secondhand goods, I think we've been there before.

On the other hand, if it's something else, I'm always happy to give your latest "crazy opinion" due "attention" :ks
Last edited by newcastle on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Wise up Newcastle.

What does Richard Wagner's Parcifal mean ?

As for the Emporers new clothes, what did the child see that the people and the Emporer could not.
And indeed, why.....

;)

Anyhow, must go, busy packing my cases.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:Wise up Newcastle.

What does Richard Wagner's Parcifal mean ?
Who knows.

I've only ever seen Parsifal....about a character, a sandwich short of a picnic, searching for the Holy Grail.

I prefer the Monty Python version.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: "He expressed his wishes for the return of Italian tourists to Egypt and asserted his dissatisfaction with the delay of this issue, despite the fact that everyone now knows that all the Egyptian archaeological sites are completely protected, adding that Egypt is completely safe.

NB: Best not to mention Italians, Mexicans or Russians other than that, Safe as Islington..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Parsifal is pure fool.

Hitler was very partial to Wagner's production.

It is derived from an 11 the century tale about the holy grail.

There's an interesting book out there named holy blood holy grail.

Tbh. I lost the plot half way through and returned it to my mate.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I once had dinner with all three Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln and a few more interesting parties.
It was in an amazing Tudor house on the South Downs, I was in-charge of the wine ending up losing it and fell asleep alongside a large Borzoi.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Could go down well. The notion of a god appointed ruler and millions of slaves might need to be handled carefully as would the incestuous sexual relationships that were the basis of producing an heir. :roll:

Hawass could bring personal insights to developing the role of an infallible ruler worshiped by millions.

On the other hand glorifying a pharaoh who replaced a heretic predecessor and returned to the traditions of the past has some modern 'positive' references. :urm:

And I thought his declining years were to do what he announced. Producing a multi-volume encyclopedia of Egyptology for an unknown Russian publishing house and funded by Russian oligarchs. He has time for this because no major university in the west (including his alma mater the University of Pennsylvania) with any standing in Egyptology will ask him to deliver lectures in his area.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It does conjure up wonderful things possibilities. :lol:

I suspect Hawass will only be responsible for the libretto.....using his widely acknowledged literary skills. If he had any musical talents - apart from 'trumpeting' his discoveries - we'd have heard of them.

I see a role for Suzanne Mubarak...she has the look of the operatic diva about her. Queen Tiye perhaps? :a37:

Her ailing husband as the ailing Ay....in a wheelchair. :a29:

Horemheb? Now who could we find as a prominent army general who finds himself, despite humble beginnings, ascending the throne as supreme leader (having conveniently disposed of any other aspirants). :a9:

And the youthful Tut? Maybe the muscular Amr Diab...although the makeup department would have their work cut out making him look like a teenager. Still...you can work wonders with subtle lighting and a lot of kohl. :a80:

How the cast will sound with the musical backing of a rababa band is questionable but, with the Egyptian propensity to play at 200 decibels, it hardly matters. :le:
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Newcastle here is some Rababa from Luxor. The tune is called ‘Egypt Moving Forward’ and its from February 2011. (there is something wrong with the sound). Maybe the tune title was a bit over optimistic about the future.

I find it interesting that in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Kenya and particularly in west and central Africa traditional music forms have been blended with modern music and then embraced by local audiences. In contrast, in Egypt there is an obsession with preserving the past that inhibits change – in music but also in many other areas of human creativity. Egypt is almost an island determined to close itself from the rest of the world – except if you are a middle class Cairene when the obsession with Western consumerism is the compulsory style. For the rest maybe someone in power thinks that they are better controlled if kept in the 19th century.

If the issue is opera an analysis of the Cairo Opera shows an obsession with the most traditional operas. There is nothing from the 20th century and no other opera company in the world would be so reactionary. This is also true of the ballet program. Former Governor of Luxor, Farag, who now runs the Opera House is continuing his previous career path of 'opinion management' and a King Tut opera might fit in rather well in his less than first rate program of heavily and taxpayer subsidized entertainment for the Cairo upper classes.

Its not directly relevant to Hawass opera but I thought I’d post this to confront at least some of his keen acolytes on this forum with some practical facts – although I note their silence on him in recent years – following prior years of fawning, blind love for him.

Here it is:

He may be doing more than I’d thought – at least in the money making game.

He and Sadat’s widow are ‘tour leaders’ on 17 Egypt tours over the next 14 months. That’s quite a lot of work for an old man.

Dr Mark Lenher is also involved and is a mate of Hawass since 1974. His early background was in the money making occult business and he was a follower and funded by that crook and fraud Edgar Cayce who believed that Giza would uncover great meanings and a hidden library as well as believing in Atlantis,‘alternative’ medicine and séances. Lenher worked on the Giza project for some time well before he had any archaeology qualifications and as Director of the Giza Mapping Project. The project of course employed Hawass but seems to have been controlled by Lenher and particularly his access to some of the richest people in the world. He has done lots of TV but seems to have published nothing in academic refereed form - very odd.

Hawass’s expert view on what is important in archaeology in the tour company publicity material is revealing and self regarding:

“You will visit my great discovery, the Tombs of the Pyramid Builders. It is called the most important discovery of the 20th century, because for the first time we could learn about the people who built the Pyramids.”

Poor Howard Carter, now just an also ran. I wonder who called it ‘the most important discovery in the 20th century’? Albert Einstein must be just a silly Jew who discovered nothing.

For those interested Hawass will be in Luxor to’ lead’ the tour on 17 occasions over the next 14 months, so get your autograph book ready, drape yourself in the Egyptian flag and get out in the street as a cheer squad. http://archaeologicalpaths.com/egypt.php He should be there sometime around 10 October so get ready.

The tour is about $US6,000 twin share or $US7200 single supplement (airfare excluded) – but according to Trip Advisor comments from actual participants there are lots of local ‘extra costs’ running into the thousands (must be paid in foreign cash) they also say the trip was disorganized and involved ‘false advertising’. The positive comments seem to come from Hawass worshipers – many of whom have poor spelling and grammar. The tour companies own website is full of unrestrained positive comments – and no criticisms - but the video ‘testimonies’ on it are mostly from elderly people many of whom are obese or say they wanted a trip completely organized/safe so they had to make no decisions

The phone numbers for bookings are: USA phone: (917) 719 19 74, UK phone: (203) 026 65 03. They share both telephone numbers with a ‘research’ company with an identically designed website called The Time of a New Era that deals in parapsychology and ancient mysteries and which employs people who, although unqualified in the area, propagate exotic, crazy fringe theories about Egyptian archaeology.

The tour company’s only physical or postal address is in an industrial estate outside Gyndia, Poland but it also does TV and media activities and celebrity promotions in Egypt – all involving Hawass - which raises issues about who owns it.

Why the 'worlds greatest Egyptologist' would work so much with such a third rate Polish tour firm is an interesting question.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

That site extolling the tour is positively toe-curling. A trip for mugs with too much money.

The odd lecture from Hawass and tea with Jehan seem to be the highlights. With an English speaking guide and tour leader thrown in it doesn't look as if Hawass will be wearing out much shoe leather. Just as well at his age.

A special vist to Luxor Temple outside of normal hours? That's after 9pm then. Bring plenty of warm clothing.

The itinerary for Luxor looks unexciting...Karnak...Memnon...Hatshepsut...VoK.... :a84:

You'd think they'd run to Nefertari's or Seti I's tomb.

Eminently missable :td
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I forgot to mention this snippet from the promotion :
. You’ll be treated like royalty, this is why we call it the Royal Tour.
Stripped of your assets, shoved on a boat and sent packing from Alexandria then?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Hawass is writing his opera so that the first production can be seen at the new Luxor Opera House. :lol: