Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Post by Goddess »

Why is it every time I buy chillis and think they're hot ones - they're not! And vice versa!!! It's ruining my fancy dinners!!!!

Last night it was supposed to be Thai Prawn Soup - was a bit of a flop since the bleedin chilli had a grand temperature of 0 degrees!!!

If anyone has any tips on how to spot a hot chilli and a cold chilli - I'd like to hear about it!

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

The smaller the little blighters are, the deadlier in my experience!!

I once happily chopped up a few for a salad - spent the rest of the evening in agony with burning fingers! I finally got relief by sitting with my hands in 2 pots of yogurt!! :roll: :lol:
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
TONY

Post by TONY »

As a general rule the small chillis are hot. Except in the case of Scottish Bonnet which are fiery, but I have never seen them here.

Im trying to remember the name of the tiny, thin chillis that can always be relied upon for a bit of heat, but Im sure someone will jog my memory.

Tony
Karnak
crazycat
United Kingdom

Post by crazycat »

thought you were talking music there :snig:
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

:lol:

Sniggering at the thought of Countessa with her hands stuck in yoghurt!

These ones were green ones - about an inch and a half long. I had very high hopes and bought them especially in anticipation of them giving me severe heartburn late at night! Since they were so small I didn't even try licking it to check it was hot - just dumped it in! I even deseeded the bugger!

Are you thinking jalapeno chilli Tony?

Got no idea what this was - but they're really dark green. The annoying thing is I bought the same ones last week and nearly blew the top of my head off.
warda

Post by warda »

I'm having same problems with you Goddess. I made stuffed peppers and there were quite few of those hot ones. I'm always careful with small ones but these were big and I of course I was thinking they are just ordinary bell peppers.
I also burned my fingers and lips. I was feeling like Angelina Jolie:D

If I do not get the hot ones even I want I'll just add some chili powder.
Those long and pointy green peppers are really good for making your own pickled jalapeno peppers, yum :)
Mimimay
United Kingdom

Post by Mimimay »

crazycat wrote:thought you were talking music there :snig:
I did cc :) :oops:
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Mimimay wrote:
crazycat wrote:thought you were talking music there :snig:
I did cc :) :oops:
That was my cunning plan to make you all come over to kitchen corner to answer my daft questions!!! Hee Hee!

Warda - the stuffed peppers are the one thing that I get really scared of when we go over to the family house to eat! You're never sure until you get half the thing in your mouth if it's a hot one or not!!! They look just like an ordinary bell pepper. One time I ate one and didn't realise until I swallowed it - Thought Hannibal Lecter had been round for dinner and turned me inside out!
TONY

Post by TONY »

Goddess wrote::lol:

No that doesnt ring a bell, but it might be the proper name for the ones Im thinking of.
It will come to me eventually, probably at 3 in the morning so I will have to get up and post it on here before I forget again.

Tony
Karnak
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

TONY wrote:
Goddess wrote::lol:

No that doesnt ring a bell, but it might be the proper name for the ones Im thinking of.
It will come to me eventually, probably at 3 in the morning so I will have to get up and post it on here before I forget again.

Tony
Karnak
Glad to hear you're just as afflicted as me Tony!!! I do exactly the same and irritate every body by announcing odd things to unsuspecting people if they happen to be present at a moment of revelation.
Hope you think of it soon!
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Regarding the preparation of chilli peppers, always wash your hands very thoroughly straight after preparation and whatever you do do not rub your eyes if irritated by the fumes! :roll: Come to think of it do not touch any part of your body which is the least bit sensitive :oops: Get my meaning!!

I know what you mean about selecting the hot ones though. Generally the smaller and pointier the deadlier :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
TONY

Post by TONY »

It finally came to me this morning, at a most inconvienient time. I wont tell you what I was doing at the time, I will just say it was just after my first cup of coffee of the day.

The one I was thinking of is called a Birdseye Chilli. Sometimes called the African Red Devil. It is very small, but fiercely hot

Tony
Karnak
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

:lol::lol: