Ramadan - what's for Iftar??

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

What is Habiba?

But Barry, what if the relatives all have the same idea? :cry:

A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

That's where mothers in laws' houses come in handy. It's the unspoken family meeting place!!!!

Habiba is one of my favourite outdoor places in Luxor. It's out near the bridge, on the banks of the Nile :)
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Countessa wrote:That's where mothers in laws' houses come in handy. It's the unspoken family meeting place!!!!

Habiba is one of my favourite outdoor places in Luxor. It's out near the bridge, on the banks of the Nile :)
[face=Comic Sans MS]I would have thought that after all the 'Iftaring' with family in each others homes everyone would be happy to close the kitchen.

I agree that Habiba is a lovely location as Countessa kindly introduced me to it earlier in the year. I've yet to eat there, although I have had one of the fresh from the oven bread rolls. :) [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Countessa wrote:That's where mothers in laws' houses come in handy. It's the unspoken family meeting place!!!!

\
You realize some day YOU will be the mil and that will be YOUR house. :lol:
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

:oo :oo :oo Now that is a scary thought :lol:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

BBLUX wrote::oo :oo :oo Now that is a scary thought :lol:
Hmph!! And here was me getting out the coffee mugs for your arrival - might bash you over the head with them instead!! :P :lol:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

No you daft thing!
I was thinking of it from your perspective having all the family turn up on you!!!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Thanks to Countessa's mention of Rice and Peas further back on this thread, that's what we had last night - but we chucked some carrots in too for the excitement factor!

We also had king prawns in hoi sin sauce as an appetiser, Coconut juice to wash it all down and a big dish of fruit for evening snack.

As for today ...... going to have to dig about a bit and resurrect something!
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

Mmmmm....that sounds delicious Goddess! :P I love coconut juice - don't have a clue how to make it though, so always get it from the juice man across the road!

I'm at the stage now where I'm really fed up of cooking. At Iftar I'm more thirsty than hungry - I made chicken pane and pasta yesterday but my Iftar consisted of three glasses of mango juice and half a bottle of fanta followed by coffee & ranoosh!!!
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

We're on a mission to find out how the coconut juice is made - since we normally buy it too. As soon as knowledge is forthcoming I'll pass it on (Personally I hope it involves dessicated coconut in the recipe - at least then I can get it out of the cupboard and actually use it)

Today I had cornflakes. Yep, sad I know - but just couldn't be bothered. Will eat something else later (and slosh it down with more coconut juice)
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

Goddess wrote:Today I had cornflakes. Yep, sad I know - but just couldn't be bothered.
Tell me about it....I'm at the stage where I can't be bothered eating anymore, let alone cooking!! I think I've reached 'the wall' of Ramadan!!

Good luck with the coconut juice recipe finding mission - hope it's successful because I've got a bag of dessicated coconut sitting looking sad & lonely in the cupboard!!