Narcissism and Spiritual Materialism: The New Age Legacy

There is still great magic in Egypt and the rest of the world. The paranormal, astrology, leylines, rituals, telepathy and ESP interest us all. Discuss the mysterious aspects of life that appeal to your sixth sense here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Narcissism and Spiritual Materialism: The New Age Legacy

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Here's part of a larger article on New Age spirituality - the subject line of this thread - that seems to some up many of my thoughts on the subject!

"There was a bulletin board, covered with advertisements for dozens of "healers," "body workers" and various "schools" of "mystical arts." This was very much what Trungpa Rinpoche used to refer to as "the Spiritual Supermarket" a plethora of offerings appealing to our sense of spiritual poverty, offering relief in the form of spiritual commodities, "higher" states of consciousness, travel to higher realms, secrets of the universe. All of it appealing to the underlying diaspora of separateness and disconnectedness that is all pervasive in the human condition.

The overriding theme in this spiritual supermarket was that there was something missing which could be provided by the products being sold. Nowhere was the notion evident that perhaps the real problem was that we had too much to begin with, and what we really needed was to let go. Everywhere the message was self centered, me, me, mine... achievement, gain, and ego reinforcement seemed all pervasive. I could not help but wonder how many people had come into such places in search of peace of mind. Someone discovering an offered technique which seemed appealing, purchasing the available books, tapes and materials, taking them all home to begin their new life of spirituality. They would find out in a short time after the fascination wore off that they were still deeply dissatisfied. One could imagine people going back to the supermarket, getting all the stuff for a different "modality" (they seem to like that word "modality") and starting the process again. I would imagine that this could become an endless occupation, jumping from cosmic consciousness to crystal healing to channeling to pyramidology to energy vibrations, to out-of-body experiences, to déjà vu, to ESP, to Atlantis, to reincarnation to endless other "ologies" and "isms." Truly a never ending story.... always searching, trying to find something, anything, to fill the perceived need that something is missing."

The full article is at http://www.engaged-zen.org/articles/Kob ... egacy.html

I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Aromagician
New Zealand

Post by Aromagician »

I liked this part of his spiel
"Are we not really looking to heal our selves in all of this? We are in a peculiar dilemma, we know that something is wrong but we are so absorbed in escaping from the pain that we do not take the time required to learn the true nature of the disease. Our materialistic psychology prevents us from seeing the big picture. We remain entranced with our individual problems and can not see beyond the immediate issue to the much wider picture of how we exist in a state of interbeing with all our sisters and brothers and all our fellow sentient beings. "

he does sound a little political, and communistic rather than a spiritual master I may add

"A comprehensive look at history from the perspective of the common people is available in Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. This is not a history written by conquerors about conquest and the exercise of power over others. It is about our past, the past of the common people. It covers in detail the legacy of oppression which we carry as a society that has produced our current isolated culture and self absorption based society. It tells of the oppression, genocide and slavery which are the foundations of our heritage. It tells of the lives of the people who suffered under the yoke of tyranny for the sake of the profit and control motives which are the basis for our social and economic legacy.

The study of this sort of history enables us to develop a profound understanding of who we are and how we got to be in the position we find ourselves today. It also gives us a connection with our fellow beings and brings us the realization that we are not isolated individuals on a mission for personal salvation, but instead presents us with the vista of all of us together, as a community, engaged in the endeavor of building an alternative circle of societal healing. "

I had no idea you were interested in building an alternative circle of societal healing STAN? Well there you go. Learn something new every day.

His view on life, is one of a dissatisfied person, who can find no escape from the pains of society. He sees other with the same lens he views his own life. He can only see from his own point of view. Everyone in the store looks lost or dissatisfied. he imagines how they will find no fulfillment. He does not know, as he does not try.

HE complains about their endless searching. It is also called endless learning. Seeking. before enlightenment chopping sticks carrying water. After enlightenment , chopping sticks and carrying water.

He says they are white people. And as such cannot understand another culture. I say shame on him. Putting people in boxes, people today are so many mixed races. DNA research shows that at one time we were all descended from Africa. Surely learning about another culture, and understanding their spiritual tenets encurages more love and understanding amongst people of all races and cultures? Dont those in Egypt have a better understanding of the way of life of muslims, and Egyptians than those who have never left their homes?

Change what you see, and you will see a change.

His dissatisfaction and cynicism is evident. there is no need to paint it upon others.
Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN