Writing Competition 2009 - no 1

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Writing Competition 2009 - no 1

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Lucida Console]I have decided to open the New Year with another Writing Competition.

Subject:

Dear.................. A letter to my favourite Egyptian personality.

As we all have to write letters at some point or other in our lives I thought it would be interesting to see what type of letters our members would write to their favourite 'Egyptian Personality' living or dead. This could be a character from Egyptian History - real or mythical, or to someone who has had great influence on Egypt eg one of the famous Archeaologists (not necessarily Egyptian). The letter can be in the form of poetry or prose. If there are sufficient entries of both categories then the competition would be split to reflect that.

Entries should be sent to me, for anonymous submission, by not later than 10pm GMT Friday 30th January.

DJKeefy has informed that there will be a prize of a Luxor4u T shirt to the winning entry (subject to the writer not having received one already).

[/face]

Edit to make a sticky.
Edit 2 - Update re Prize
Last edited by HEPZIBAH on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Not received one for any of my last years wins yet. Every time I go they have gone!
I think Keefy must be selling them on the black market! (I joke-no more nukes Keefy)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:Not received one for any of my last years wins yet. Every time I go they have gone!
I think Keefy must be selling them on the black market! (I joke-no more nukes Keefy)
[face=Comic Sans MS]Sorry to hear that, but please don't shoot the messenger. :roll: I'll remind DJKeefy he owes you one. [/face] :)
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Well he did want is identity secret so we did not know who he was :lol:

Now i know i will gladly give him a T-Shirt :)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Very good Keefy, one nil to you!
crazycat
United Kingdom

Post by crazycat »

I'm still waiting for mine two years down the line :lol: so don't hold your breath :lol:
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS] :idea: Perhaps those who haven't received their T shirts could write a letter to DJKeefy via the Writing Competition. :) :lol: [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

HEPZIBAH wrote:[face=Comic Sans MS] :idea: Perhaps those who haven't received their T shirts could write a letter to DJKeefy via the Writing Competition. :) :lol: [/face]
Yes Hepzi, I need something infront of me to remind me, my memory as a life span of about 1 hour these days :lol:

OK then lets get on with the competition :)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Lucida Console]We now have our first entry which I hope will remind and encourage others to send in their contributions.[/face]

Entry A

Letter to Abou Ben Adhem

Now listen here Bou Bou……all this fecundity of family really has to stop. The grain stores won’t stand the drain!

And I’m getting worried about these dreams you’re having. Nothing good is going to come of ‘em, for sure! And as for those visions they talk about in the market, I reckon you are supping too much of that Lotus Lotion stuff And what you expect to gain by it all, I have no idea.

Am still not sure where you have pitched your tent…some writings on the wall suggests you’ve fled the country….gone north to Fight with Might a Hittite they say. There was even talk of you getting a job on a barge, with some rich bitch swanning up and down with some old Roman…... Wha’ever!

Still, if you feel you’ll get a first foot in, so be it. I wish you well. To me it's all Isis, Smisis. Ra, Ra, Ra!!... No doubt some bloke will write about you in years to come.

Give my best to your brother, Abu Simbel…he’s a rock solid guy!!! A real chip off the old block!!
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Entry B

The Letters

My Dearest Horus,
How are you my mate? Sorry that it's been so long since the last papyrus, but you know how things are, places to visit, people to collect. Anyway, less of the small talk. I bumped into Amen the other day, God, how that God can prattle on about all and nothing, usually about his you know what. Anyway, Amen happend to mention that he had noticed worship numbers had fallen! Is this something that you have noted? If so, let me know and I'll stir things up a bit, get old Thoth to send a plague, he could do with the exercise. I know what your thinking, but the old ones are the best, keep them on their toes. Speaking of which, did I tell you how busy I've been? Well, not just busy, nearly working myself to death, if that were possible. Take last month for instance, had over two thousand Nubians through the gates and guess what? Not one of them had a leg to stand on, both feet missing, sliced off! Played havoc with the line ups. Kept falling over, and of course, one goes, they all go. And, if that wasn't bad enough I had two thousand more in with their bits cut off! What's all that about then? Couldn't send them through men only or the female door, so had to shunt them through miscellaneous. Not a happy bunch. But hey, that's life. Or what it used to be. Know how long it's been since I had a day off? Never! I know the contract stated for eternity, but not literally! Anyway, that's enough about my problems. Oh, I almost forgot, went round to see Mut the other day, cow wouldn't answer the door, for the one HUNDREDTH time. I shouted through the keyhole at her reminding her that I could come in at any time I liked to claim her Godly soul. Guess what the cheeky mare said? "sorry, who did you say you were?" Next time I'll send my mate Ammit round to pay her a visit. I'll tell you again mate, I was always against letting women into the club, but oh no, that old war mongering swine of an excuse knows better. Spread it out a bit, equal rights and all that. Only last week She who must be obeyed sent through, wait for it, six hundred burnt offerings!! What am I supposed to do with them then? Not to mention the mess they leave, bits falling off here, bits over there. And all this just as I was about to start the end of the Millennium stock take! Doesn't give a toss! Just had a brain wave, what if we could come up with a plan to get more people in to visit? No slaughter or offerings, just to have a quick shifty around our Temples. May be able to get them to do a bit of kneeling, make us a bit stronger, build up the numbers. Anyway, I'll have a think about it and let you know. Have to dash, big earthquake down South, ta ta for now, your best mate,
Anubis xx

My dearest Horus,
How time flies, must be close on a thousand years or so since I last wrote but have been really busy lately, wars here, floods there. No rest for the wicked as they say. Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that I think I've dropped the proverbial slingshot. Remember when I suggested that I had an idea as to how we could increase numbers in Egypt? Well, I did, and it's gone a bit pear shaped. Talk about taking your eye off the arrow for a second! Wrong sort are coming over. You thought the Romans' were a bad lot. Wrong. This latest bunch are an uncouth lot at the best of times, walk around all day complaning about the heat, smells, dust and hassle. The list of complaints just goes on and on. Some still seem to be making some sort of offering though. They have a sort of night ritual going on which entails them casting into our Nile large black containers which they throw off the back of their boats. Haven't discovered what's in them yet, but will find out and let you know. Youy never know, we may be onto a good thing here mate, enshala! There I go again, reveering myself!

Yours, your mate everlasting, Anubis. xx
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Lucida Console]Reminder - Deadline looming.

Come on folks, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there with letters you'd love to write or wish you'd written to your favourite Egyptian personality. [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Lucida Console]The deadline for entries has now closed.
We've had 216 views to date to this thread but sadly only 2 entries - thank you to them for having the enthusiasm to submit their letters.

Please see the seperate thread for voting.[/face]
-Aldous Huxley