Baking paper

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Geraldine

Baking paper

Post by Geraldine »

It's Finnish way to use baking paper when you're baking bread, coffee bread, cookies etc. So easy. But what they use in Egypt? I saw a picture and text on aluminium folio package that you can use it for baking. So I tried. I cooked my hamburger steaks in the oven and they all got totally stuck to the folio paper. I also have always used baking paper to cover the baking sheet, even if I bake casseroles in the oven. It's really hard work to clean the baking sheet if it gets dirty...

But I haven't seen any baking paper or similar in supermarkets? My guess is there aren't any?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]It sounds to me as though you are looking for Aluminium Foil (baking paper is something very different in the UK). I'm sure I've seen it being used in Luxor but I can't think who by. :roll: Surely one of the larger supermarkets in Cairo stock it. [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Do you mean silicon paper like this http://www.talon-direct.com/bakewell-si ... -6007.html or greaseproof paper?
I'm pretty sure greaseproof paper is available but not sure about silicon paper.
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

HEPZIBAH wrote:[face=Comic Sans MS]It sounds to me as though you are looking for Aluminium Foil (baking paper is something very different in the UK). I'm sure I've seen it being used in Luxor but I can't think who by. :roll: Surely one of the larger supermarkets in Cairo stock it. [/face]
I ment aluminium FOIL in my post :mrgreen: I have it and I tried it but as I mentioned my cookings got stuck to it. There are plenty of aluminium foil in supermarkets here in Cairo but haven't seen anything else.
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

FABlux wrote:Do you mean silicon paper like this http://www.talon-direct.com/bakewell-si ... -6007.html or greaseproof paper?
I'm pretty sure greaseproof paper is available but not sure about silicon paper.
Yes, I think Finnish papers are covered with silicon...haven't heard of greaseproof paper.

Hmmm, parchment paper, baking paper - even wax paper - I think they all mean similar thing?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Geraldine wrote:I ment aluminium FOIL in my post :mrgreen: I have it and I tried it but as I mentioned my cookings got stuck to it. There are plenty of aluminium foil in supermarkets here in Cairo but haven't seen anything else.
[face=Comic Sans MS]Aluminium foil does come in different qualities, and depending on the food coming into direct contact with it can be good, bad or indifferent. In a catering situation I was involved with some years ago we bought some rolls manufactured by a well known company but when we used it, to cover food that was being cooked inside the overn, we found when we peeled it back that it left lots of little blobs of the foil on the food. Needless to say all the food had to be dumped! :x You may find that when you cook meats, burgers etc directly on it or in packages it would be good just to lightly grease the foil first.[/face]
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Geraldine wrote:
FABlux wrote:Do you mean silicon paper like this http://www.talon-direct.com/bakewell-si ... -6007.html or greaseproof paper?
Yes, I think Finnish papers are covered with silicon...haven't heard of greaseproof paper.

Hmmm, parchment paper, baking paper - even wax paper - I think they all mean similar thing?
[face=Comic Sans MS]No, they are all different.

Parchment paper is a realtively new product. It is very strong and can be bought (in the UK) in rolls for cutting to size or circles to fit cake tins. It is a non-stick quick release silicone baking parchment which can withstand temperatures up to 230˚C.

Greasefroof paper has been around for a very long time and was traditionally used for lining baking tins when making cakes and cookies or for wrapping fresh foods such as sandwiches and cakes.

Waxed paper, again it's pre Parchement paper and aluminum foil, is used for wrapping cooked foods such as sandwiches and cakes. I'm sure it's not used in cooking processes.

Cling film has very much taken the place of Greasefroof and waxed paper for the wrapping of foods, but there are a number of varieties available - some microwave safe, others not.[/face]
Last edited by HEPZIBAH on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Aldous Huxley
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

HEPZIBAH wrote:You may find that when you cook meats, burgers etc directly on it or in packages it would be good just to lightly grease the foil first.[/face]
That was my thought but it is a bit of extra work, the fun of baking paper/parchment paper is that it is so easy :)
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Geraldine wrote:

[face=Comic Sans MS]No, they are all different. [/face]
Yes I see now. Looked into it, wax paper indeed is different from parchment paper. You can't use wax paper in the oven ("voipaperi" in Finnish).

I did some googling and "baking paper" (on Finnish websites) seem to mean the same as parchment paper. Perhaps it's just a translation error.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Geraldine wrote:
I did some googling and "baking paper" (on Finnish websites) seem to mean the same as parchment paper. Perhaps it's just a translation error.
[face=Comic Sans MS] :lol: At least we're now talking about the same thing. :roll: My friend uses parchment paper all the time for lining her backing and roasting tins and it works very well. I don't know about it being used for protecting the base of the oven from spills etc though as it's not exactly 'cheap and disposable' in the same way that aluminium foil is. The other tip I've learnt about parchment paper is not to use too harsh a washing up liquid or scourer on it and always rinse it off in extreemly hot water, this seems to prolong it's life.[/face]
-Aldous Huxley
Once bitten

Post by Once bitten »

I was using baking parchment 20+ years ago, never bothered to clean it,just used it for the same job over and over again until it fell apart. Never worried about the cost of it as I did not have to buy it, the places I worked in had that worry.
If you want to line your oven base then use a heavy duty foil, but only if your heat source is at the back or either side as it will catch fire. :) :) :) :) :)
TONY

BAKING PAPER

Post by TONY »

Silicone Paper is different to Baking Paper. Silicone is a totally non stick paper used extensively in bakeries at home. It can be used a number of times until it starts to get brown with use.
Silicone Paper is availble in Luxor quite easily at Shariffs on Television Street. ( You know the shop downstairs on the left going out of town )

Ask for Zibda Paper.

Tony
Karnak
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Once bitten wrote:I was using baking parchment 20+ years ago,
[face=Comic Sans MS] :oops: errm - how time flies. I must be getting old but thinking about it, it must be getting of for 20 or so years since I was introduced to it. At least I said 'relatively recent'. :roll: [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: BAKING PAPER

Post by FABlux »

TONY wrote:Silicone Paper is availble in Luxor quite easily at Shariffs on Television Street. ( You know the shop downstairs on the left going out of town )

Ask for Zibda Paper.

Tony
Karnak
Oh good I need some, Maroud Sharrif here I come :)
Scott

Post by Scott »

I buy my baking paper (parchment) at METRO in Hurghada - it gives me an excuse for a fish dinner in Hurghada!!!!

best to all,
Scott
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

Oh, I haven't been to Metro for a while so maybe I look for it there.
TONY

Baking paper

Post by TONY »

Another way is to get some Black Magic Paper sent or brought over.

Wonderfull stuff, nothing sticks to it, even meringue slides off easily if you tip the paper slightly. It can be used time and time again without any oil. Just wash it with warm soapy water after use.

Tony
Karnak
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

What is Black Magic Paper?
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

FABlux wrote:What is Black Magic Paper?
Glad you said that Fabby. I take it it's not that annoying bit of cardboard found in a certain make of choccies then??

Beats me what you've all been discussing here actually and what's all this about washing Warak Zibda?? Can you really?? I just chuck it away after I've used it!
TONY

Post by TONY »

FABlux wrote:What is Black Magic Paper?
Next time your in Gerdas I will show you a sheet of it.

Tony
Karnak