The Twilight Series

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Phantom
United Kingdom

The Twilight Series

Post by Phantom »

So, OK WelshStudent, this was your idea to start a new thread on this. So where shall we start, I think New Gal is winning, having read the serious through six times - any advances on six :P

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ............

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Came on to send someone a PM but not up to writing much today, very upset over MJ's death, its such a loss. You can't be a music lover and not feel such a gaping hole where this legend was until lastnight.

I will be back in a few days and then contribute to some serious Twilight analysis in which I would hope we can cover the Edward VS Jacob debate, your favourite chapter/section in the book (mine is in the third book when they are camping and Bella is drifting off to sleep, perhaps you could have a refresher if you can't remember this bit cos I never find anyone to talk to about the lovely nuances in this bit!) and much more.

Peace and love to all xxx
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS] :? Errrrrm Is this a private thread or can anyone join in? No idea what you are both on about though! :roll: [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Of course anyone can join in! You need to mad about the series though as I for one will be picking the books apart!
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
frances
United Kingdom

Post by frances »

i havent read any of them yet:oops:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

frances wrote:i havent read any of them yet:oops:
They are fab, recommend them highly
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

New Gal wrote:
frances wrote:i havent read any of them yet:oops:
They are fab, recommend them highly
[face=Comic Sans MS]So tell us all more about them to see if we need to rush out and buy them. [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Details please (title, author etc) so I can look when I go into the library Monday to colllect my book which has just come in :) & some idea what they are about, as I'm totally in the dark about what you are lal talking about at the moment :oops:
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Fab, we're talking about the Twilight Saga - it's four books:

1) Twilight
2) New Moon
3) Eclipse
4) Breaking Dawn

by Stephenie Meyer

I suppose people loosely call them 'Vampire Romance' but I'm never one for such hideous genre labels. :roll: Just read the first one - go on! ;)

Thanks for starting this Phantom! I was just arriving to start this myself...

NG - hope you're OK. Just remember, MJ's music will live on for all generations to come!

Any advance on 6? :oops: Umm... nope but we're tied at 6. I can certainly compete in the obsession category though as I have a detailed playlist (as in approx 60 + tracks) for each book in the series....Yep, Music and books make my world go round! ;):)

I look forward t detailed discussion...the Edward vs Jacob debate - will we need an impartial ref d'ya think? Lol. Anyway - it's getting pretty late and I've got an early start so I'll be back tomorrow.... :)
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

Well I think I must be in the minority as although I read Twilight, I can't say I really enjoyed it, I felt it went off on a tanget towards the end and it lost me as a reader. But as I say I realise I'm in the minority here as everyone I know who has read the books really rated them.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

Lisak wrote:Well I think I must be in the minority as although I read Twilight, I can't say I really enjoyed it, I felt it went off on a tanget towards the end and it lost me as a reader. But as I say I realise I'm in the minority here as everyone I know who has read the books really rated them.
I think I am in the minority with you, Lisak!! I borrowed the first 2 from a friend of mine and when I returned them I told her not to bother bringing me the next 2 . . . but I did tell her to bring me no. 7 of Harry Potter!!

There are other vampire books I find more enjoyable . . . if you can find a vampire a lovable character, lol.

Try Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stakehouse Series (southern US locales) . . . the ones that the TrueBlood HBO series is based on (which I haven't watched) . . . I have read all of those except the last one . . . funny and entertaining and much more "real" for me.
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

If you like vampire stories, have you tried The Evil Seed by Joanne Harris?

When Alice Farrell is drawn to a Grantchester churchyard and reads a strange inscription on Rosemary Virginia Ashley's gravestone, she feels oddly disturbed.

And when her former boyfriend Joe returns to Cambridge with his new girlfriend Ginny, Alice is repelled by the ethereal, lavender-eyed beauty - and certain of her evil.

Then Alice finds an old diary in Ginny's room and reads the story of Daniel Holmes, who lived in Cambridge forty years earlier, and fell under the fatal spell of Rosemary Ashley. As the two stories intertwine, Alice's suspicions about Ginny increase - until past meets present in a terrifying climax...
-Aldous Huxley
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

cbrbddd wrote:
Lisak wrote:Well I think I must be in the minority as although I read Twilight, I can't say I really enjoyed it, I felt it went off on a tanget towards the end and it lost me as a reader. But as I say I realise I'm in the minority here as everyone I know who has read the books really rated them.
I think I am in the minority with you, Lisak!! There are other vampire books I find more enjoyable . . . if you can find a vampire a lovable character, lol.
Phew, glad i'm not alone.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
frances
United Kingdom

Post by frances »

i am half wat through twilight and at the moment i am finding it hard to put down
Phantom
United Kingdom

Post by Phantom »

Keep going frances - books 2 and 3 I don't think are quite as good, but they giove you the much needed background for book 4, which is amazing 8)

WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Indeed Breaking Dawn is awesome! :) Though I have to say, New Moon has really grown on me over time...I think the whole story arc is just fabulous (though I am strictly with the vampires! ;) )

I was thinking - if us fans are going to get into detailed discussion we'd best put a spoiler warning up for those who haven't read/are reading....

Catch ya later!
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Hello all!

Books one and three are my faves, 2 and 4, not so much, missed Edward too much in the second and I do have to agree with some of you ladies and say that the ending dissapointed me quite a lot.

So Welsh Student, Edward or Jacob??? And why???

A spoiler warning is quite a good idea by the way! Do you want to do it??

x
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

I was thinking maybe Phantom should put a head's up in the post title? Or shall we just put a warning at the top of our spoiler type posts? OR perhaps use the spoiler function to hide the spoiler type text....I dunno. But hey seeing as I'm going into spoiler territory:

For those of you who don't want to be spoiled:
POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING

Right....

Edward or Jacob?
Spoiler
Edward...always, from the beginning right the way through, though I could have bashed his vampire skull on the wall a few times during the series! ;) :lol:

Honestly, I didn't like Jake at first. Didn't have a problem with him in Twilight, but of course, you don't see him too much there. In NM he drove me up the wall - coming across as quite childish and whiny in his pursuit of Bella BUT I suppose you have to see the situation from his point of view...looking back I see it more from his point of view a) he doesn't have the foggiest what went on With E/B until later, b) he knows Bella is single, spending a lot of time with him...she does lead him on more than a little bit! I think on first reading it is quite difficult to find balance when reading the saga because as it's from Bella's pov you are obviously influenced by the way she sees people. She does drive me bonkers sometimes with constant descriptions of Edward and his 'beautiful face'.

Anyway, as I said, I didn't like Jake the first time I read New Moon, and in Eclipse, though I did feel a bit sorry for him, I cheered when Bella punched him for getting too fresh - and one of my favourite scenes in the book is right after that incident when Bella gives Edward permission to kill Jake, but Edward warns her that she'll regret it in the morning. :lol: (I ADORE Edward's dry sense of humour :oops: ) I found Jacob's obstinate way of going about things more than a little irritating and to me, at times, he seems like he's more interested in winning a tug-of-war battle with a blood-sucker than what Bella wants. Personally, he just rubs me up the wrong way, especially in Eclipse.

When I first got to Jacob's book in BD I thought: 'urgh....' but I laughed, and cringed and sighed etc. etc. all the way through and I completely loved Jake's character that came through during the course of it in a way I'd not been able to see before. I felt sorry for him with what he'd been through...but now I had grown to be exceptionally fond of Jacob, in a decidedly matey sort of way, or even older sister/little brother - he annoys me intensely sometimes, but I love 'im anyway. :lol:

So...Edward. I do hear a lot of Edward bashing going on because of the things that Edward did during the course of the saga - the most frequently dragged up being him leaving Bella. As much as I want to scream 'IDIOT' at him every time I read it, I understand what he was trying to do...and I adore his character all the more for it, because if he hadn't left and done the whole angsty thing again he just wouldn't be Edward...

What is so appealing about Edward? Forget the mystery and the angst for a minute, as much as they make up a big part of him, especially in the first 2 novels. The first thing is that he is NOT perfect. I've heard people go on about how Edward is the perfect guy - that's why they are 'Team Edward' (who the hell came up with those terms anyway? :roll: ) - but he's not perfect! He's got a violent temper, he's way too self critical, he's insecure, he can be pushy, and seems to think he has a monopoly on deciding what is right for Bella. But, again, it's what makes up Edward as a character - if he was perfect he would be deadly boring and I wouldn't care a jot about the books or him.

Amidst all this non-perfectness that makes up Edward ;) there are also some wonderful characteristics that make him 'even more amazing behind the face':
- The dry sense of humour that I already mentioned
- His dedication to his family
- How intensely he cares and tries to do the right thing, even when it turns out to be a major disaster (New Moon, case in point)
- He's an old fashioned Gent ;)
- He's musical, which isn't a merit per se, but for me it's something I can relate to
- He likes to talk, and to listen
- Quite the old romantic

And there's something about his self-loathing and insecure nature that sometimes makes you want to slap him and tell him to get over himself, and other times brings forth what I would call the 'aww' factor. :)

I found Edward fascinating right form the word go, and I think discovering him through Bella's eyes pulls the reader in even more. I don't know if you guys read the leaked Midnight Sun? I didn't even know it had leaked until I checked SM website the day after the whole fiasco - I was gutted as I was excited about the prospect of seeing the story, and Edward himself through his own eyes. Anyway, I read the copy that she posted seeing as we were told we were likely to never see MS completed, (I wouldn't have read a leak - I'm still disgusted that anyone did such a thing) and I fell for Edward again and again seeing his character from a whole different dimension. I won't quote anything for now in case you guys haven't read it...but I loved it. :)
Right - I should be writing an essay about now, instead I'm writing the beginnings of a character analysis...oh dear! :oops: Anyway - that's just a little insight into my general feelings about Jacob and Edward! Now it's time for you guys to share! :)

Rach
x
Phantom
United Kingdom

Post by Phantom »

Erm, I would put something on the title - if only I knew how to :oops:

Spoiler

Wow WS, you have got it bad haven't you :roll: I'm firmly planted in the Edward fan club, as Jacob drives me mad, although admittedly he is very young. I've sort of forgiven Edward for leaving, as his morals are from an era when gentlemen did things differently, but he too can be a bit childish at times.

WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Got it bad? Really? Oh dear...I wouldn't say that really - I do love the character :oops: ...but he's just a fictional character after all! ;) A good friend of mine has a pin badge with the message: 'What do you mean Edward Cullen isn't real?!' :lol:

I'm just a bit of a fiend for in depth character analysis and I'm also fascinated as to why so many women (of a huge variety of ages! ) find Edward so appealing. :oops: I also like to find out what other people of Jake as a character considering on a personal level he just rubs me up the wrong way, so to speak. :) Yep I'm such a book geek.....

Come on Phantom - your turn! ;) I practically wrote an essay and you give me two lines! :lol: