Home Made Pate

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Jane Akshar

Home Made Pate

Post by Jane Akshar »

Every year we sacrifice a cow and the meat gets distributed amongst family, friends and neighbours, a third goes to the poor. I got the liver. Yes an entire liver.

So half went in a massive casserole which i will freeze and the other half I made pate.

I don't have a recipe. I gentled fried in butter, lots of butter with rosemary, garlic and chili. I also fried some pepper corns and kept them separate. I then liquidised with more melted butter and cream. Added the peppercorns Put in containers with a melted butter top. I have to tell you it tastes delicious

Ended up using 3/4 kilo of butter to half a cows liver and a small carton of cream if anyone else wants to try garlic, rosemary and chili to taste

Jane Akshar - mad about egyptology -sane otherwise ....... I think
drwho

Post by drwho »

Hmm, must try pate making sometime sounds tasty...8)
DIANA

Post by DIANA »

Yes a home made pate using quality ingredients can be delicious. I make a terrine using chicken livers and pork belly.
I don't think I will ever get to use the quantities that you used there Jane, well done! :P
Jane Akshar

Post by Jane Akshar »

It was three quaters not three to four kilos of butter, did that mislead.

I did not have any choice about the quantity lol Mahmoud always gets me the liver but normally it is a calves liver which is slightly less volume
DIANA

Post by DIANA »

Oh calves liver, that's superb. Costs and arm and a leg over here and that's when it's available.
None of my kids would ever eat liver - they called it stiff beef! :mrgreen:
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Hmmmm. Not to thrilled about this recipe, it's the putting it all in the blender bit that's putting me off a bit and making me feel squeamish. And it's also the lump of slimy liver too that's giving me a few palpitations. Can just imagine it sitting there in a big lump looking at me.

However should Jane offer a spreading of it on a triangle of toast I'd leap on it and devour it in seconds!

Love eating Pate, Hate making pate!
pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Can remember my Mum forcing me to eat liver and it put me off for years and years. Only really just started eating it again a couple of years ago but always get the butcher to chop it as really can't face handling it. Thats just a step to far!
Jane Akshar

Post by Jane Akshar »

You would not have liked mine them, complete with tubes and clots of blood. I adore liver, in fact any kind of offal. The problem is there is quite a competition for it when a cow is butchered but Mahmoud always tries for me. and when he gets calves liver I am putty in his hands and will do anything for him. It hardly ever makes it to pate as I scoff the lot
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

OMG...... Yuk!!!!...........honestly the last time I ever tasted liver was nearly 21 yrs ago while I was pregnant with my son.............just a craving then & never touched it since
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

Oh God it sounds delicious but you'd need a cardiac team on standby!! :mrgreen:
"I think I may have swine flu…….I've come out in rashers "

Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

Kiya wrote:OMG...... Yuk!!!!...........honestly the last time I ever tasted liver was nearly 21 yrs ago while I was pregnant with my son.............just a craving then & never touched it since

Kiya,

you should avoid liver when pregnant?

It's loaded with Vitamin A and that is fat soluble and you can overdose. Your body doesn't flush out the excess!!
It can cause all kinds of birth defects and can actually kill you if you overdose. It's really dangerous folks!! Jane watch out!!

Beta carotene one of the variants is okay though, and that is found in the orange and red fruits and veggies as this is flushed out daily.
The rest are dangerous.
"I think I may have swine flu…….I've come out in rashers "

Jane Akshar

Post by Jane Akshar »

I reckon I have enough to last me months, it will be so nice to have something to put on crackers that isn't cheese
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Ebikatsu wrote:
Kiya wrote:OMG...... Yuk!!!!...........honestly the last time I ever tasted liver was nearly 21 yrs ago while I was pregnant with my son.............just a craving then & never touched it since

Kiya,

you should avoid liver when pregnant?

It's loaded with Vitamin A and that is fat soluble and you can overdose. Your body doesn't flush out the excess!!
It can cause all kinds of birth defects and can actually kill you if you overdose. It's really dangerous folks!! Jane watch out!!

Beta carotene one of the variants is okay though, and that is found in the orange and red fruits and veggies as this is flushed out daily.
The rest are dangerous.
As I said it was a strong craving while I was pregnant, perhaps I was lacking in some vitamins at the time but I remember the 1st time I had to get to the butcher so fast for the liver & home to cook/eat it, it went on for a few weeks then faded........have to say my son is a fine healthy strapping lad :)
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Couldn't possibly eat such a thing, but I am a big fan of veggie pates and they are so easy and tasty:
mushroom, lentil, bean(all kinds or a mixture mmm) walnut cheese they are so healthy too and low in fat. I always add a few sunflower seeds for extra "bite" :P :P :P
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Would be interested in a good recipe for veggie pate Jewel. :P
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

OHoooooooooooooooLiver,sausage and bacon done in the oven in a gravy with dumplings in the corner :P :P now Ebikatsu don't come on and say how unhealthy it is we all know but every now and again is OK
Pate in Egypt really cheap to make as chicken livers are really cheap in comparision to UK and Goddess if you buy the packs that have the hearts as well which i think most of them do in Egypt then your dogs get a special treat a well,although in my house always a fight between husband and dog because you know how much the egyptians like things like heart,brains,tongue and all the other unmentionable bits.I once had a haggis brought out and my husband absolutely loved it especially when i told him what it was made from now that normally puts most people off here in England.Must say i really enjoyed cooking in Egypt as many cuts of meat available that are hard to find now in England as most people don't want them as don't know how to cook them and well when you can buy a whole fillet plus the thick end for 35LE a kilo what more can i say :roll:
always keep your words soft and sweet just incase you have to eat them
stratagems

Post by stratagems »

Very descriptive there Jane - made me grimace a bit there.
The smell of offal makes me queasy and close to vomiting, let alone the texture/taste of it. I also used to hate fish for the same reason (although I never felt queasy, I just found it overpowered the flavour far too much) for most of my life but love it now, but I don't think that will happen any time soon with offal.

I do think it's a shame that people don't eat most cuts of meat - I'm a fan of head-to-toe eating (sans offal).
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Pinkmagic - a few recipies for vegetarian pates - there are loads more

MUSHROOM PATE
butter
1 tblspnolive oil
mixed mushrooms
leeks finely chopped
fresh thyme oregano leaves
salt & black pepper
Small glass sherry
1 lemon, juiced
cashews or walnuts, finely chopped and lightly toasted
fresh parsley or basil leaves, finely chopped
8 ounces Greek yogurt (or cream cheese)

Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and leeks and cook until almost dry, between 15 and 20 minutes.
Stir in thyme or oregano, salt, pepper, and sherry, and cook until sherry is absorbed, about another 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat.
When mushroom mixture has cooled, combine it in a large bowl with remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Line abaking tin with foil, with a 4" overhang on all sides. Put mushroom mixture in pan, flattening and pressing down so that mixute is even and compact. Cover the pate with the overhanging foil and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.
To serve, invert pan on serving plate and use the foil to help release the pate. Garnish with extra herbs and nuts. Nice with salad :P

CARROT PATE
carrots, peeled
garlic cloves
oregano
cumin
dried coriander or cilantro
hot red pepper flakes
black pepper & salt
sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
olive oil
chopped fresh parsley

Slice carrots in rounds and boil in salted water until firm tender 8-10 minutes. Drain and put in a glass bowl. In a blender or food processor add rest of ingredients and blend. Slowly add oil and vinegar in a steady stream, then pour over carrots. Marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight. (you can add celery or ground nuts - cashew almond if you like)

CREAM CHEESE PATE
pack Boursin with black pepper
another semi-hard cheese, at room temperature
Cheddar cheese
2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
black pepper
150g pot fat-free natural yogurt

. Soften the cream cheese in a bowl, then mix in the Port Salut until smooth. Add the grated cheddar with the spring onions and parsley.
Season with black pepper, (cheese is salty enough) and add enough yogurt to make a
soft pate. Cover and chill. Take out 10 mins before serving.

You can add ground walnuts to this fir extra bite, and serv with mekba toast or veggies (carrots, celery, peppers etc) cut into strips and dip in …mmmmmm :P :P :P

LENTIL PATE *this is great favourite :P
unsalted butter, softened
thinly sliced onions
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
bay leaf
salt
coriander
paprika (not hot)
black pepper
cayenne
1 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups red lentils
2 cups water
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Jar roasted red peppers

For topping
olive oil
roasted red peppers
balsamic vinegar
finely chopped fresh oregano or marjoram

Lightly oil terrine, then line bottom and ends with a strip of greaseproof paper, with 2â€
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!