Recommended: Fluke

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Recommended: Fluke

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I have been reading this book on the train to and from work, a great read.
A story about a dog who thinks he is a man..

It's 33 years old now, and one of his books I didnt read first time around.

I also loved Ghost of Sleath, the Haunted and the Magic cottage.

Sadly any films based on a James Herbert book are totally rubbish, as the story gets totally distorted.
There is no substitute for your own imagination that James Herbert can invoke in the reader..

Christine

Post by Christine »

Ive read The Ghost of Sleath and a few more of Mr Herberts books, but have given up with him now as i tend to get a little befuddled by the end of most of his yarns :roll:
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in x
Zaydine
Post by Zaydine »

I've read this too, many years ago along with other James Herberts books, starting with The Rats, I think. Lasting memory is that even at the end I wasn't sure if it was a dog who thought he was a man or a man who thought he was a dog.....very good though.
Have loving acceptance of all that is.......
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Zaydine wrote:I've read this too, many years ago along with other James Herberts books, starting with The Rats, I think. Lasting memory is that even at the end I wasn't sure if it was a dog who thought he was a man or a man who thought he was a dog.....very good though.
Thanks for that, I was just about to take the book out into the garden to read the last 3 chapters.... :x

I still have to read it though, it will prove a more intelligent procrastonative move on the delaying of the grass cutting chores that await me this Sunday afternoon..

I'll see if I can relay my conclusion..

Ghost's of Sleath was great, I read it before the Haunted, so the main character was more enigmatic, because the previous book, The Haunted had introduced David Ash, and put him through hell in that story.

The Spear was pretty darn good too, but it had to be read at the time of writing, as now it would be too retrospective.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Fluke was a Dog who remembered he was a man.
I think the dying tramp at the end of the book could have confused some readers...
Christine

Post by Christine »

And im easily confused :lol: But ive come away from a few of his books thinking , "and" .........., then there is no and, so Mr Herbert and i have parted company ;)
Zaydine
Post by Zaydine »

ooops, sorry Z, I assumed you'd finished it! I'm afraid I'm one of those perverse people who always read the last couple of pages before I start the book. I think that's because if the character is there at the end I pay more attention to them whilst I'm reading. Weird maybe, but I've heard that others do the same. Maybe I just don't like surprises. I read the spear too, it's about Nazi's isn't it?
Have loving acceptance of all that is.......
Christine

Post by Christine »

I like blood guts and gore, i also enjoy gritty drama, so have any of you ever read John Connolly, or Martina Cole, 2 authors i would recomend if any of you have the same taste in literature as me :)
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Loved the Spear, an artifact with powers, the spear that was used to pierce the side of Jesus on the cross. thus linking the spiritual and material world. the holder could fulfill thier destiny.

The good Mrs Z likes Martina Cole, a couple of her books kept her quite while we were on our last Luxor jaunt ;) Quite a few of the ladies around the pool reading her works.

I'm looking for something new now..
Christine

Post by Christine »

Give John Connolly a go maybe, he does start out very violently, but then through his story telling he does touch on some topics i think may interest you, ye of the enquiring mind!
Stepehn King, Shaun Hutsin, been there done that, and its all very so so, Shaun Hutsin seems to be sticking with his faithfull old demonology and monsters, so all a bit erm ........ :roll:
Michael Conelly just popped in my head.
"Straw Men " now thats a bit different, there is another possibility 8)