About photography Number 2

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Is it the M62?

bigken
Vietnam

Post by bigken »

not far away,it is the M627 from Oldham down to M62 junction 20

Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

This picture I took with my digital camera 8mp at the highest size of 3264 x 2448.
I took it to 1 of the local shops which printed the actual picture A3 size, its very good quality, I bought the frame there & then from the same shop (not cheap) so got the printing & the picture fitted to frame for free.
With the black frame it goes well against the white walls in my bathroom.

The picture here dosen't show it so well with shadows on the glass when taking the pic.

[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

bigken wrote:not far away,it is the M627 from Oldham down to M62 junction 20
What settings did you use Ken? We did this topic in our photography group at work last year sometime. It was interesting to see how some people used shutter priority and others used aperture priority with varying results.
bigken
Vietnam

Post by bigken »

Ashtree0 wrote:
What settings did you use Ken? We did this topic in our photography group at work last year sometime. It was interesting to see how some people used shutter priority and others used aperture priority with varying results.

As this was my first try at doing light trails i played about a bit, but for this photo i went for shutter priority, shutter speed 25s, aperture f/29, iso 200, focal length 95mm :)

I've been putting some photos on flickr lately, i'll keep adding more when i get time.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29778292@N04/sets/

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd never heard about FlickR but it looks really neat! I've been photographing my heart out lately and I KNOW I'm definitely getting better and more used to all the different settings and stuff on the camera. Was at boot sales this morning and bought a few photo frames for my Masterpieces. Am just signing up for FlickR now and uploading! Thanks for the FlickR tidbit!
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Google has Picasa, which as well as organising your photos and a limited editing function has Web Albums - you can upload your photos directly from within Picasa, which I find easier than external sites such as Flikr
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

I much prefer Flickr - I have a couple accounts on the go. Here's the link to my work's photography group - we set 2 topics each month though must admit haven't had time to contribute much recently

www.flickr.com/photos/daisymill/sets
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

bigken wrote:
Ashtree0 wrote:

As this was my first try at doing light trails i played about a bit, but for this photo i went for shutter priority, shutter speed 25s, aperture f/29, iso 200, focal length 95mm :)

I've been putting some photos on flickr lately, i'll keep adding more when i get time.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29778292@N04/sets/
Really like your photos on Flickr BK!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was reading about photo tips today on this URL

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/energ ... ichardson/

which is from National Geographic. Might be pretty basic info for some but it was really of interest to me and if you poke around on this site you'll see that it has short video clips too with tips about digital photography. Am FINALLY getting a grip on the difference between RAW and JPEG!
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Just been looking through some of BK & Ashtree photos, all so lovely.

LLL your way ahead of me getting to grips with Raw & Jpeg, hoping to see some photos from you soon on here.

I bought a Canon recently, my 1st dslr, I have'nt used it yet & reading up on the book for dummies I bought with it.

Reading the book & working with the camera software /Raw looks a bit confusing to me unless you know what your doing.......I guess a lot of practice I'll be doing :roll:
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Congratulations on your camera Kiya - My DSLR's are Canon - I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it.

I know I've recommended him before but honestly, I can't speak highly enough of Michael the Mentor on Youtube. He gives some really short lessons on photography - tasters of his very excellent DVD's. If you want to learn about aperture, histograms, lighting, speedlights he'l more than likely have a short video for it. He also uses Canon's so it's easier to follow. I find watching video much easier than reading instructions!

Here's a link to his video on aperture

Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Ashtree Thanks for the reminder of MichaeltheMentor, I'd forgot all about him on Youtube, just been looking through some of his videos, all very helpfull.
I'll be looking in quite a lot me thinks ;)
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Some pics from my new Canon camera taken between yest & today with ever changing weather.
All are taken at Full Auto for now till I get my head aroung the Manual functions, so much to take in.
I haven't enchanced the pics at all but straightened,cropped & reduced the size to fit here.
I can hardly believe the quality/colour compared to my old camera & because they're reduced in size not sure if you will see the lighthouse to the left of pics on the horizon when you zoom in.
ImageImage
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous Kiya!!!!!!!! WOW WOW and double WOW! Please tell more about your new camera?

I'm still having a devil of a time trying to size down a photo to post it on here. Doesn't mean I'm NOT taking photos though. Was at a wooden boat festival today and took these as per the URL below. All the photos on this site where I'm "Firespirit" are mine. These are all 10.3 megapixels

http://videos.theolympian.com/vmix_host ... class_id=2
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Thanks LLL , glad you like my pics, they are quick examples with me hanging half way out my window :D

My new camera is Canon eos 1000d or a.k.a Canon Rebel, I bought it as a camera kit...camera with a 18-55mm lens & 10 mp, its not the best but for the moment its enough for me to get to grips with especially working with all the manual functions, I can easily see why some folks would stay at using the Full Auto but my reason for buying is to learn everything of the camera workings & to improve on my photography.
I've also noticed already another lens (maybe telephoto ?) would be an asset to the kinda picture taking I like.

Thanks to Ashtree I've been looking at www.michaelthementor.com which is very helpful.

I had a look at your pics "Firespirit" they're all fantastic :) your way ahead of me , as for resizing the pics to upload here I use the built in program on my computer & choose the 800 x 600.

Keep snapping LLL.........look forward to seeing more :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thank you! I've been out there snapping away and am really starting to get the hang of taking more photos NOT using AUTO. It is hard to break that habit but I do kinda like the challenge. Also found out that after I put my photos onto the laptop I can right click and there is a program on the laptop that offers resizing! SUPER EASY!

Am thinking the following is a really basic question that anybody might know the answer to ('cept me).....Does anybody know IF you're hooking up a remote on/off to your camera do you need some sort of wire attached to the camera to do this?

I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable with the editing program Corelle Paint Shop Pro x2. Had to buy a book though to explain each feature to me - but I sure like some of the 'noise reduction' and 'clarification' options as they really make a BIG difference to the quality of the photo.

BY JOVE I think I'm GETTING IT! Course have had some really great inspiration here!
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Morning LLL

You can get both wired and wireless remote controls for your camera.

Brian
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I have resurected this thread because it was one that I started about PSP Photo Shop and we did have a good variations of topics and hopefully we all learned a bit from it.

Mimimay was telling us on another thread about her new camera that she was taking on her holiday to Kenya. It set me looking at a few of my own animal pictures and I modified this one of a Jaguar in PSP so that I could use it as a page in a calender, if I ever get around to it :roll:

I posted it in here to avoid breaking the continuity of the other thread, as those topics tend to be actual photographic questions and answers and not everyone enjoys photo manipulation.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm glad you did start this thread again. We all kinda got off the topic of editing but I'm still trying to edit and figure it all out so am interested in knowing anything related to it.

Horus your JAG is FAB! He really IS wonderful and IS coming right off the page at you. EXCELLENT!

I'm thinking that editing is as important to know about as is the actual photography. First I have to get a good grip on taking decent to good photos then I need to learn how to make them even better. Great idea to start up this thread again Horus.