My Park Walk Today......

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

My Park Walk Today......

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Went to Pt. Defiance Park - gorgeous gardens there with several theme'd areas. Part of this are is 'experimental' gardening under the auspice of a University. Very beautiful and relaxing walk and terrific for photography!

Not necessarily a 'bed of roses' but.......

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Some great pictures there LLL :) We have a similar Chinese themed garden near to us, you should have told us a little bit about the place :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yesssssssss duh - I should have given a bit of a history of this park......

This land this park occupies was originally set aside by President Andrew Johnson as a military reservation. There is still a wooden Fort on part of this 702 acre area. In the late 1800's President Grover Cleveland gave it to Tacoma to use as a public park which includes beach front as well as heavily wooded forest. After this land was given to the city and made into a park visitors started coming in droves particularly to the waterfront where heated "saltwater baths" were operated.

As much of this area was beachfront it was natural that a focus on marine life started and a public aquarium was built to capitalize on the hot saltwater baths. In the late 1980ies the city built a Marina in this area.

The Lodge (picture 1) was built in the late 1800's is the oldest standing building in the park. Today it is used to host weddings and receptions but was formerly used as the Park Superintendents private home.

In the Asian section of the park the Pagoda was originally designated as a streetcar station, then later became a bus station and then an area for formal gatherings.

Today this park is open daily dawn to dusk and hosts many festivals. A zoo and aquarium are also part of this park.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that :D the pictures are a lot better when accompanied by your potted history of the place :)
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

LL the pictures are great :) , I wish I had a garden like that near by to visit without having to travel further afield.
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
marvin-carrie
United Kingdom

Post by marvin-carrie »

I like the "flower bed" picture 8 :)
marvin-carrie
United Kingdom

Post by marvin-carrie »

I like the "flower bed" picture 8 :)