DOVER AND ITS CROSS CHANNEL FERRY TERMINAL

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad

DOVER AND ITS CROSS CHANNEL FERRY TERMINAL

Post by Grandad »

This is really an appendix to the 'About Photography' thread.

I mentioned, in photography 3, our trip this morning to the National Trust visitor Centre at Dover White Cliffs which is above the Cross Channel Ferry Terminal. We have been there many times so nothing new but for your general interest I have selected a few of my morning snaps to tell you just a little about Dover in Kent, South East UK.

Dover is the ferry port through which most people pass when driving to France and the continent. Some boring statistics; each year around 14 million people, 2.8 million private cars, 100,000 coaches and 2.3 million freight vehicles pass through the port. Add to this the activity of Eurotunnel, just a few miles west at Folkestone with 7 million people in 1.9 million cars and 56,000 coaches, plus 1.25 million trucks; and you have an idea of how busy this corner of the UK is in terms of travel and transport to France and beyond.

My first three pictures show the ferry port and its location relative to the White Cliffs and the Town of Dover. The Harbour Beach can be seen in the left middle distance of the third picture.

View of part of the ferry port from the National Trust Visitor Centre

Closer view of the marshalling area

View towards Dover harbour beach with Dover Castle top right

This next picture is of Dover Castle taken from the pebble beach down on Dover Harbour front. The castle is administered by English Heritage and is one of the ‘must sees’ for visitors to the south east. It was built in the late 12th century by King Henry II but there has been a fort on the site since the iron age because of its high defensive location. Also accessible from the castle are the ‘Secret Wartime Tunnels’. These were originally constructed many centuries ago but were improved for military use during the Napoleonic wars.

Dover Castle high above the town

In WWII they were extensively refurbished and extended and became the control centre for the Dunkirk evacuation in May/June 1940. Much of the tunnel complex has been kept intact and is today a very popular visitor attraction.

My final two pictures are the kind I like taking. They are of a group of young people just enjoying some time together on the beach, and the last one is a family on holiday just sitting in the sun and throwing pebbles.

Candid shot of a group of young people

Candid of a holiday family relaxing in the sun

These are the kind of candid images that I like to revert to mono and change the contrast……kind of Cartier Bresson….I wish….. :) :) :)

Grandad :gg:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks for sharing your day out with us Grandad :) I never realised the castle was so close to the ferry terminal. Love the shots of the people on the beach :)
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

That was fab, really great pics thanks, love the last one especially, reminded me of being in the park today, there were some young girls in line doing what looked like a sand dance with their arms in time to the brass band, pure magic! A very natural shot :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Grandad thanks for sharing your lovely day out, great pics, I love the close up of Dover Castle :)
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Just a morning really....Dover is only 20 minutes away and there is a pleasant walk along the cliff tops to the South Foreland Lighthouse if one feels that energetic :)

The town has been somewhat run down of late but the council has done a really good job of improvements along the beach front. No sand, just pebbles.....
Grandad :gg: