About photography Number 3

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

It's an excellent site..... However, when looking for a photo for another post, I came across this one of Manchester Airport's Concorde! Hope you like it.

I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh - Sure is impressive!!
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:ohhhhhhhhhh - I didn't realize I was seeing (D7000) something that wasn't out worldwide! WOW! This guy teaching the class is a long time professional photographer. He and his wife specialize in wedding photography but he also does lots of Marine photography too. He is quite interesting to talk to and great with giving us all kinds of tips and tricks.

This is his website: http://www.dixonmarinephotography.com/pages/intro.htm

I can 'do' all the tips and tricks in class. My problem is retaining all this knowledge and using it enough to learn it well once I'm outside the classroom. There is just sooooo much to figure out and I'm not sure I've got the F stop thing down yet either. Truly interesting. Kiya has made amazing strides. I hope I can keep up!
Thanks for the lovely comment LLL I've still a long way to go, I'm off for the October break with homework to do which will keep me busy working with the AV, TV & Manual modes.
Your lucky having an experienced photography to work with I just found out last week my tutor is not a professional photograhy but still good nontheless.

Stan that is an amazing photo of Concorde & speaking of airports I've seen advertised for :

THURSDAY 14/10/10 7.30PM - 9.00PM "WORLD'S MOST EXTREME AIRPORTS it looks scary!!
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hi Kiya - our class photographer is excellent and class 'was' tonight... :(
just got a one liner email notice our instructor had chest pains, rushed to hospital and had a stent put in by his heart so no more classes 'til notified. I truly hope he is going to be ok. His style and instruction(s) are great and I was enjoying this class and learning lots.

You have a very creative 'eye' Kiya. I think soon as you fully know your camera and all the bells and whistles you are going to be creating some super wonderful photo. The sky will be the limit with what you can see and capture.
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

I'm sorry to hear about your instructor before you know it he will be back on his feet near as good as new.
My brother had two heart attacks & stent fitted, 3 days later he was home again, he is on medication for life & never looked back.

Hope you got your books home with you to keep you going in the meantime :)
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

A few days ago I was trying out pics on Frozen Action & Blurred Action... to give that soft flowing look, I understand these would work better with water falls, fountains etc etc.
My 2 pics here are frozen action & blurred action taken from my window using the TV mode ( shutter priority) & zooming.
My problem is the pics seem blurred all over is that because I was not close enough & using the zoom??
With the blurred action I can see what effects it gives if only I could find a waterfall near by :cry:

Freezing Action

Blurred Action
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I still have probs posting pics in GC.....am trying this by editing if it does not open the pic first time. :?:

This is Amir, a 5 year old male Sumatran Tiger. He was too close to the fence to be able to exclude it with a large aperture but I don't think it detracts from how beautiful he is. This was last Saturday, he has a mate called Indah and hopes are that they will produce cubs next year.

This is the address with brackets removed for reference that will open with a click:
album_pic.php?pic_id=9789

Didn't work so back in a minute in IE....

This is the address I get in IE with brackets removed:
album_pic.php?pic_id=9789

And as copied with brackets it prints:

Just looked in and they are both open now?????

I think I am losing it....la..de..dah..de..dah..de..dah :)))
Grandad :gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh noooooooo Grandad - I hope I didn't 'infect' you with what I have when I try to post a photo on L4U! I'm hoping you've already got the vaccine and are immunized against the "ican'tpostaphotohere'

;);););)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I will try again with another pic LLL :)

We have talked in the past about the use of polarisers. I found this old picture and scanned the negative so that I could post it.

I have included it because the polariser was quite strong, at least 2x stops, and it has the effect of making the white fluffy clouds almost 3D.

Anyone else got any polariser examples???

Just checked the preview and the effect is not as strong as on my screen, but you get the idea. :)
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

No polariser examples :( great pic, love the cloud formation against the blue :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One of the things the fellow teaching our class talks about is polarizers but he says that what is BEST for cloud photo is a ND filter. He only said this in passing but ND seems to mean neutral density. I haven't had a chance to comment to him on this (cause of his heart attack and stent operation) but tomorrow we are all going on a field trip to a Nature Preserve area with tripods to take different style photos - i.e. wildlife (if we see any), buildings, landscapes etc.

Absolutely LOVE your clouds Grandad!! Awesome photo too and good to know you didn't become infected by my L4U deficiency.

Now - I have signed into L4U with a different browser (Bing.com) and am going to try and post a photo from the album........keeping my fingers crossed this will come out! Drrrrrrrrrrrummmmmmmm RRRRRRROOOLLLLLL -

Nooooooooooooooo NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it didn't come out........AGH!!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Noooo LLL you have got it wrong..... download that program called Avant (i sent the link in the PM) Install it, then run Avant, type in the address bar index.php login and then try and post a photo.

Bing.com is not a browser its a search engine, google chrome, firefox, avant, explorer are programs (browsers) that allow you to connect and see webpages.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

ohhhhhhhhhh :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm NOT at all intuitive when it comes to technology! ;) :oops: Actually 'stupid' is the proper description! Will do!
bigken
Vietnam

Post by bigken »

Grandad wrote:I will try again with another pic LLL :)

We have talked in the past about the use of polarisers. I found this old picture and scanned the negative so that I could post it.

I have included it because the polariser was quite strong, at least 2x stops, and it has the effect of making the white fluffy clouds almost 3D.

Anyone else got any polariser examples???

Just checked the preview and the effect is not as strong as on my screen, but you get the idea. :)

Here is some i took with a CP filter on

Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Great pics Bigken :)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

All nice pictures Ken :) they really show the effects of using the filter.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

LLL said
One of the things the fellow teaching our class talks about is polarizers but he says that what is BEST for cloud photo is a ND filter.
I have not heard that one LLL. The big thing about CP's is that you can turn them to the degree of polarisation that you want, depending how the light is falling on your subject.

My example was rather extreme but Kens are softer with a more delicate enhancement of the sky/clouds.

In the old black and white roll film days we would use yellow through to orange filters to emphasis skys. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved with a DSLR set to mono????
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Great use of filters. Not a lot of point here in Luxor though...no clouds for 95% of the time. I do sometimes wonder how to capture the really blue sky here. It tends to wash out against the settings for the temples or other ground scenes even with the obligatory UV filter in place.
Grandad, I had forgotten that my son and I had experimented with colour filters for B&W shots on our old film cameras.
I see no reason why their use should not be valid with a DSLR set to monochrome.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Grandad - the fellow teaching the class I'm taking (last class will be this Monday) often talks about using neutral density (ND) filters that are grey. He advocates CP but seems himself to favour ND filters. I don't have one but I do have a CP and it does really truly make a difference to my photos.

And, wanted to add that now that I'm understanding MAPS I'm actually preferring to use to automatic.

One of the BEST benefits to taking a class - and this tidbit of advice would stand for anybody - Once you understand the features of your camera and see a photo taken in a specific way (i.e. extreme close up, big depth of field - whatever) you can then check the Properties and see what the specs related to the photo are. You can then set your camera to the same specifications so as to turn out that type of photo. Practice will make this perfect as well as come to you much more naturally as what your camera will and can do becomes more second nature.......
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

LLL,
The main purpose of using an ND (neutral density) filter is to reduce the amount of light that can pass through the lens.

Therefore, if your shutter speed is kept the same after you have added a neutral density filter, you will need a larger aperture to obtain the same exposure. Alternatively, if an aperture is kept the same after adding a ND filter, you need to select a slower shutter speed to obtain the same exposure.

The use of ND filters is particularly useful if you want to get that ‘misty’ or fully blurred effect on running water, such as over pebbles or a waterfall by using longer exposure times.
It is another interesting aspect to photography if you have not already tried it :) and the filters are very cheap to buy from people like Amazon.