About photography Number 3

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Going by the date LLL posted above & when she was off on holiday I guess she's just been home 3-4 days, hopefully we'll see some great pics from her soon. :)

[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Yes I was also wondering where our other 'student' was :lol: :lol:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

On my walk in the woods the other day (Autumn Leaves thread) a group of five leafless trees caught my eye. I saw them as a mono, not colour, image and have converted to B & W which I prefer, at least for this picture.

When converting to B & W in Elements there is an option for different style B & W image. I converted to 'Lndscape Vivid' and 'Landscape Scenic' to see the effect.

ImageImage

I prefer the second B & W which is the scenic conversion. In mono I always try to just have detail in the darkest and lightest parts of any scene. My regret is that I cannot get deep black on screen. It might print darker but I not tried.....yet.
Grandad :gg:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Here we go again....can anyone actually see the three pictures. Usual problem, if I try to include pictures in a post via GC the pictures don't show. I can only do it by opening via IE. I even turned the pop up blocker of just now to see if that was responsible.....but no. :x
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Grandad have you ever tried using AVANT BROWSER which Keefy suggested ages ago.
My computer been going slow again using AOL & IE but when I use AVANT its a lot quicker with no problems, not sure how it would be when you want to upload photos though.

Forgot to say....cant see your photos :(
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Nor me :(
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I am trying my post again, this time in IE. If any Moderator reads this would they please delete the above three posts....Thanks. :)

On my walk in the woods the other day (Autumn Leaves thread) a group of five leafless trees caught my eye. I saw them as a mono, not colour, image and have converted to B & W which I prefer, at least for this picture.

When converting to B & W in Elements there is an option for different modes of B & W image. I converted to 'Landscape Vivid' and 'Landscape Scenic' to see the effect.

ImageImage

I prefer the second B & W which is the scenic conversion. Subtle difference but better tonal range. In mono I always try to just have detail in the darkest and lightest parts of any scene. My regret is that I cannot get deep black on screen. It might print darker but I not tried.....yet.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

PS. Thanks for the suggestion Kiya. I did try Avant last evening but it performed exactly like GC with respect to uploading pictures so I have uninstalled it.

My computer has been running very slow today (although I am reading 6.7mb bb speed) and I have only now been able to get on to L4U....but maybe the server is playing up. :x
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Good pictures Grandad :) I have been having L4U problems today :(
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

This is the first I've got in here today :(

Grandad love your tree photos & more so the b/w, when I want to really see black black in a pic I open my j.peg in Editor-Raw in Elements.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Love the tree photos myself Grandad. Hope the L4UNopicturewillpostmalady isn't contagious!

Quite love these in B&W. Once I got 'coloured' film I actually forgot about b&w but it really does give a totally different perspective and feel to photos. I'm almost convinced I like b&w photos better than colour! GREAT SHOT Grandad!!!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your comments about my trees folks. I DID print the 'scenic landscape' version and as I like it I will mount and frame it for my picture wall.....

Welcome back LLL.....where you been hidin'?

Tell us about your travels. :)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Nearly a month since the 'last post' :lol: on this thread.

Anyhow, I saw this picture in The Mail today and, call me an old softy, I find pictures like that quite emotional. I DO have a life but classic pieces of engineering like Concorde or great steam locos touch my engineers heart....aaaaah!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ewell.html
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

I did see it on telly yesterday, I felt for the men as they left not looking back :(
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

I LOVED the harrier and think you may agree this tears at the old heartstrings Grandad :)

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news ... _1_1820070

:(

On a brighter note mind, I took this in the summer at an air festival -it's a dakota that flew over with a Lancaster and my friend and I had fun blowing kisses at the pilot ;) :lol:

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Interesting you mention a Dak, Jewel. They are nearly as old as me and I am sure some are still flying as transports in little known countries.

Being a young lad through the war years we were ardent plane spotters and good at it too. The Dak was interesting and I remember that, because the engines are relatively close to the fuselage, it can appear that it only has one engine. A source of amusement for young boys identifying aircraft with their cigarette packet outlines. :)
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

jewel wrote:
On a brighter note mind, I took this in the summer at an air festival -it's a dakota that flew over with a Lancaster and my friend and I had fun blowing kisses at the pilot ;) :lol:

What a cracking photo Jewel!
P.s it's good to see you around Jewel. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It has been a long time since anybody posted anything on the Hobbies thread related to photography as it seemed our 'photos' were bothering other L4U members who felt we were turning it into a 'photo forum'.....so out of respect for the wishes of others I have not posted anything related to photography on here.

The Harrier photos are super nice though Grandad!!! :):):)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

LLL said
it seemed our 'photos' were bothering other L4U members who felt we were turning it into a 'photo forum'
I didn't see any posts making those comments LLL but I don't think we should let that deter us. There are plenty more forums on this site for members to subscribe to and they are NOT forced to read the photo threads if they have no interest in that subject.

Also remember that Keefy increased the personal album from 300 to 500 just recently and is quite happy for us to post pictures. :)

I have changed my avatar to my seasonal (old blokes wishful thinking) one. I have also posted here my entry for this months photo comp, just because I think it is seasonal, Not a quality picture. Snow on the roofes would have helped. :lol:

And while on the subject, where are all the entries for this month? There was general agreement to re-instate the comp so lets see some more entries......don't be too tied to 'Christmas' A wider seasonal approach will fill the bill. :)
Jayway
Portugal

Harrier

Post by Jayway »

Hey Grandad - this is the best plane ever , end up in a SCRAPYARD ? ? ? sURELY SOMEONE IN eNGLAND WILL START A FUND TO BY ONE

Hey Grandad - this must be the best plane ever built - to end up in a SCRAPYARD ? ? Surely someone in England will start a fund to buy one - -

:) :) :) :) :) :)