June 2011 - Photo Competition (Water)

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I'm finding the voting a bit confusing.

If some people only vote for e.g. their top three, whilst other people give all of the photo's a score, surely the one with the highest score at the end isn't necessarily the photo most people preferred to win. I could be confusing myself on this issue though as although I've looked at photo's in the past I've not been part of the voting system.

Could I add, it's a great shame that although there is a 'Hall of Fame' for the top 5 photo's, the other entered photo's just fade away into oblivion and there have been some excellent photo's in the past that just didn't make the grade on the day.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Rating system is 1 to 10

1 is the lowest rating

10 is the highest rating

Members should vote on all photos, there is not much I can do if they dont, the system is based on most other rating systems on the internet and seems the best.

Yes only the top 5 winners are saved due to server space, to save them all we would need a dedicated server which costs around 500 uk pounds per year, thats why I keep pruning posts etc to keep the forum running smoothly.
Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Thank you DJKeefy. That makes it much easier for me to understand the whole thing and pleased with myself that I did give all photo's a score. :D It did seem the fairest way to me anyway. :)
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Just two thoughts on the voting, now that it is open throughout the month - some people may have voted mid-month before later photos were posted and may not return later to vote for newer photos - so I still think that the posting closed/voting days should be restored.

Secondly, does anyone think it would be worthwhile just voting for the 5 photos they think best - if there are many entries, it takes quite a time to vote for all the photos (or even just vote for the one photo that they think best)
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I like it the way it is at the moment Stan, it seems to be doing OK, and its easy with members not having to remember dates of uploading and rating, later entries might not get voted, but then again some members might not vote newer photos. whatever we change it will still have some problems.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Last chance to upload or rate photos the competition ends tonight at midnight (Egyptian time)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The top 5 winners are:

1st - Phantom Cenote, Riviera Maya, Mexico (7.67)
2nd - Grandad Aysgarth Falls (7.10)
3rd - Miriamkhalifa flooded camp ground (6.10)
4th - jewel Autumnal reflections (6.10 )
5th - Egyptophile Sunrise in Quseir (6.09)

So Phantom picks the topic for July 2011, it doesn't just have to be confined to Egypt, as we're trying to widen the competition.

Competition Winners - View the Photos

Luxor4u Competition Winners List
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Well done everyone.....a great range of entries. :) :) :)

And that was a winner all the way Phantom, a lovely picture. :br:
Grandad :gg:
Phantom
United Kingdom

Post by Phantom »

Wowie, I don't believe it - I haven't won anything since I was about 9 years old and won a painting by numbers contest ! Thanks to all who voted for it.

Many thanks to my wonderful new DSLR camera (James) - I'm still learning how to use it, and this shot was one of many using different buttons and settings, so I don't know what I did.

So, to the next topic .... well it had to be didn't it ..... best of luck particularly to Crazy Cat.......

If it's not been done before Keefy, I'd like to pick ....

CATS

Good luck everyone :)
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ............