Monuments under dire threat

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Yup! where we were looking. However, it is not present within the bounds of the main concession.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

To clear up the confusion, are the statues in the photo in the main temple area, or are they the small group that you can see in a field from the road passing Tausert's Temple? If so, there would be no drainage there. And I mentioned Habu to demonstrate that the dewatering project is actually working!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Doing my rounds today, saw a tent at the ramessium mmm, filming ?
popped into the rest Mo said, they officially opened the water works, he said only Mango juice available, 'made a killing then? 'No!
So the 'septics whatever they were called 'nasa 'usaid 'we got bundles with accompaniment on our new boss, Dr 'something Who and all local dignitaries were there enjoying refreshing mango juice, cutting ribbons or something.......8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
DIANA

Post by DIANA »

So that clears up all that confusion nicely then :?
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

There's an article about the opening of the waterworks on Ahram Online.... http://english.ahram.org.eg/~/NewsConte ... rom-s.aspx
Stan
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

1,100 cubic metres of water every hour....
Thats quite a lot of water considering an average house with four people in UK use 17O cubic meters per year.....and all coming into the Fedliya Canal......8)
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A few us were chatting Ibs popped up with, "So they spend all this money to pump water into the canal, then the farmers have to pump it out again to irrigate their fields, wisdom at work..
Anyhow I know it's been working for sometime now but it's the highest I've seen the fedliya and it should be receding this time of the year....I shall keep up my observations.....over & out.....8)
Sophocles.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

A true case of "What goes around, comes around", I feel.

I looked into Amenhotep's temple grounds when passing it the other day. There are several fairly deep pits, where statues had been found. A couple of years ago, the archaeologists were using pumps to try to drain them, and when they left at the end of the season, the pits were soon full of water. Since the drainage scheme started to work, the pits have remained dry.
Stan
Clandestino

Post by Clandestino »

'Boah, what'an ugly circus ticket tent just beside the house of my majestic spirit?' Ramesses thought :P

The whole progress seems to be likea medical treatment where the doctors know about the CAUSE of the problems.
And just because the CAUSE cannot be eliminated, they cure the symptoms. So the life of our patient will be longer but surely not higher quality.

Just after few hundreds of years, ther scientist will do the same as by the building of the high dam at Aswan, nature cannot be defeated by such as technics - i think - it's just for winning time till the solution of the CAUSE will find... Agriculture or archeology, this is the question if i understood it :P
"Qui multum peregrinatur, raro sanctifcatur..."
(Homer)
Once bitten

Post by Once bitten »

Kevininabydos wrote:You keep mentioning Medinet Habu, this is Ramesess III's Temple which is half a mile away; these photo's are of the northern end of Amenhotep III's Temple at Kom el Hattan [also know as Memnon]. Are you deliberately trying to divert attention away from this issue?
Medinet Habu is on higher ground, and where water is concerned the distance between the two temples is nothing, eg. look at how long the Nile and the Amazon are. :)
8) 8) 8) 8)