Nawal al Sadawi

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Nawal al Sadawi

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Nawal al Sadawi- what could you tell me about her and her writings?

"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Re: Nawal al Sadawi

Post by Ashtree0 »

I've had a couple of her books in my Amazon Wishlist for sometime but haven't bought any of them yet.

She's certainly an amazing lady!

Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Ashtree0 wrote:I've had a couple of her books in my Amazon Wishlist for sometime but haven't bought any of them yet.

She's certainly an amazing lady!

Thank you for that video. I would love to meet her one day, hard to believe she is actually eighty!
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Miriam I think you've almost tempted me to tranfer one of her books from a Wishlist item to a purchase! A Daughter of Isis (autobiography of her early life) gets very good reviews and I'm sure will be very inspiring. It's the age old problem though -- Too many books to read - too little time to read them! :P

Do post a review if you decide to read any of her work.
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

I went through my Amazon wishlist and bit the bullet and bought a couple of her books - Woman at Point Zero and Zeina. I've just finished reading Woman and Point Zero and couldn't put the book down. Highly recommended.

Here is the Amazon product description

'All the men I did get to know, every single man of them, has filled me with but one desire: to lift my hand and bring it smashing down on his face. But because I am a woman I have never had the courage to lift my hand. And because I am a prostitute, I hid my fear under layers of make-up'. So begins Firdaus' story, leading to her grimy Cairo prison cell, where she welcomes her death sentence as a relief from her pain and suffering. Born to a peasant family in the Egyptian countryside, Firdaus suffers a childhood of cruelty and neglect. Her passion for education is ignored by her family, and on leaving school she is forced to marry a much older man. Following her escapes from violent relationships, she finally meets Sharifa who tells her that 'A man does not know a woman's value the higher you price yourself the more he will realise what you are really worth' and leads her into a life of prostitution. Desperate and alone, she takes drastic action. Saadawi's searing indictment of society's brutal treatment of women continues to resonate today. This classic novel has been an inspiration to countless people across the world.