Post any problems with the Forum in here please.

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kevininabydos
Palestine

Re: Post any problems with the Forum in here please.

Post by Kevininabydos »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:
@ Glyphdoctor Your conclusion of what I have done is wrong :roll: The new version is coded 100% html compliance. To open a link in a new window is not html compliance so with having to remove the code ( _blank or _new) a link would open in the same tab and navigate completely away from the forum, which im sure you dont want to be clicking back on forth buttons all the time, so a way round this was to add what is called a RoxBox so the link opens on top of the forum, an easy way round this is to just right click the link and open in new tab :)
Actually I do want to be clicking back and forth and I may want to navigate away from the forum. I know of no other web site that works this way. It is not normal at all. If it opens in a new tab or even the same one, I know where to click to get back. With this new design, I have to look around to figure out how to close it because it is the x in the upper right corner, which is not normal. It does not show the page at its full size either, which is imposing your vision of what another site should look like on it. I also cannot see the URL of the site itself when I am looking at it, which also is important. And if there is a link on the page that pops up that I want to follow, I am forced to do it in the popup that you impose on me. I know you don't want people to navigate away from L4U, which is why you always post full article text in the first place rather than let people follow a link to an article, but that just makes you come across as insecure and lacking confidence. If someone wants to leave your site, they will and you won't be able to stop them, but if you make it difficult for them it will not leave them with a kind feeling toward you. It's like making a site and disabling the back button using javascript.When I find a site like that I think it must really suck because they have to resort to tricks to keep you there. Better a site that is interesting to keep people on it willingly.
Smacks at a bit of paranoia on your part Glyph :!: Just right click it like the rest of us......I visit several other sites that open a sub-window and not a new page so it is not a unique phenomena!

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Winged Isis wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:Ooh err!!! You're not going to want to hear this, Keefy, but have you looked at the Forum Dictionary lately?! :o :urm2: But then again, you probably have, and are dealing with more important issues and our tiresome quibbles. ;) :mrgreen:
You've got me WI, what is the forum dictionary ?
The Stickies at the top of the "Learn Egyptian Arabic" forum. From memory (it's a while since I've used them), they used to be in nice neat lists, but now.... :o
Thanks WI, I will take a look and put them right later :)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:
@ Glyphdoctor Your conclusion of what I have done is wrong :roll: The new version is coded 100% html compliance. To open a link in a new window is not html compliance so with having to remove the code ( _blank or _new) a link would open in the same tab and navigate completely away from the forum, which im sure you dont want to be clicking back on forth buttons all the time, so a way round this was to add what is called a RoxBox so the link opens on top of the forum, an easy way round this is to just right click the link and open in new tab :)
Actually I do want to be clicking back and forth and I may want to navigate away from the forum. I know of no other web site that works this way. It is not normal at all. If it opens in a new tab or even the same one, I know where to click to get back. With this new design, I have to look around to figure out how to close it because it is the x in the upper right corner, which is not normal. It does not show the page at its full size either, which is imposing your vision of what another site should look like on it. I also cannot see the URL of the site itself when I am looking at it, which also is important. And if there is a link on the page that pops up that I want to follow, I am forced to do it in the popup that you impose on me. I know you don't want people to navigate away from L4U, which is why you always post full article text in the first place rather than let people follow a link to an article, but that just makes you come across as insecure and lacking confidence. If someone wants to leave your site, they will and you won't be able to stop them, but if you make it difficult for them it will not leave them with a kind feeling toward you. It's like making a site and disabling the back button using javascript.When I find a site like that I think it must really suck because they have to resort to tricks to keep you there. Better a site that is interesting to keep people on it willingly.
Any webiste owner wants you to stay on their site, thats a fact!!! BUT like ive said before you have got it all wrong Glyph, maybe its your words.. IMPOSE, INSECURE, LACKING CONFIDENCE :lol: did you not read my last post to the reason I put the RoxBox, I myself prefer for a link to open in a new tab, but till I find some 100% html compliant code then you will have to right click to open in a new tab, or left click to open in the RoxBox, BTW I know many sites like this too. WI wants the PM text to flash when you have a new mail and at the moment I cant do it cause it breaks the 100% html rules. BUT I can assure you that I am working to solve these issues of new tab, flashing PM text etc.

Post by Guest »

BENNU wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:
BENNU wrote:This whole day, whenever I click anything on Luxor4u, I have to log in, even if I appear online and have already logged in a hundred times a minute. I did manage to post a couple of times, but only after logging in again and again and again. Is it just me? :?

Now, before trying to submit this, I'll copy it, just in case... Here we go..., No, didn't work : I must have been logged out again, because apparantly I posted this as a guest a minute ago - I'll try again:
It sounds like a corrupt cookie problem, if it happens again, while on the index page, go to near the bottom of the page to the Forum Statistics section, click on Delete all board cookies then try to login again.
I thought that had helped, but it is still the same: I can only stay logged in for some seconds at a time, which makes it almost impossible to post. I do appear as a member online most of the time, though. :? Oh no, I'll try again: Oh no! OK, I'll try posting as a guest again - Bennu.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

There is no problem with the forum, and no one else has reported the same problem, so it must be at your end.

Are you using a different internet connection to what you normaly use ?

When I was in Hurghada (holiday) and using HurghadaLadys internet connection I had the same problem, we found this to be the internet providers fault, the IP was changing every few seconds, this of course kept kicking us out of the forum due to the fact the IP had changed from the one we logged in as to a different IP, making the sessions not match.

This is why Hurghadalady is changing soon to TE-DATA cause there is many sites she can not visit that use sessions to keep you logged in.

If it happens again then try using a proxy to see if this resolves the issue, if it does then the ISP your using is renewing the IP al lthe time, which the forum wont accept.

To open the link in a new tab (right click and choose open in new tab) otherwise this link will open on top of the forum.

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www. ... /index.php
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I believe of course that it is on my end, I have checked and the same thing happens on Egypt4u. I have had this connection (Vodafone) longer than I have been a member here. I also do not receive notifications anymore, so I really feel left out. :(
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I had a new message this morning - no problem with that, but at the top of the screen was this message:- "One private message had been removed due to private message filters."

Have I set up a filter by mistake? I can't recall doing that, or is it something within the system?
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

PM deleted by a "filter" this is because the inbox only holds 20 Pm's so it deleted an old pm so your the last message you recieved could come to your inbox, you are allowed 4 new folders in the PM system (you can name them what you like) you can move old pm's into these new folders so your inbox does not get full, or you can create rules to move old pm's in the other folders if your inbox becomes full.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Keefy-I had to look up rokbox because I never heard of it and as I suspected it is Javascript that you added to the site, not straightforward html href behavior. Let me make the question simple: Why can't the links work like they did on the old site?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Why do I keep getting red squiggles under words - like in the Word Spell Checker?

I can't see a Spell Checker here to turn on or off and, although I know my spelling can be bad, it is happening under words that I know are normal words and spelt correctly!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It is your browser Hepzi.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Thanks Glyph. I was just reponding to Hepzi, when the phone rang :)

@ Glyph - I posted the reason in another post in this thread...

To open a link in a new window is not html compliance so the code ( _blank or _new) which is what you use to open a new tab had to be removed.

Im still looking for a work around though, when I find something suitable, I will change it :)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:It is your browser Hepzi.
Thanks.
Should have worked it out myself. It doesn't happen in IE but it does on Chrome!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Keefy hate to bother you while you have all the problems, but simple one for you,.......how do I obtain auto log in, l've tick the arrow and so on, but it don't work.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The English to Arabic dictionary is now fixed (I hope I never have to do that again)

viewforum.php?f=16
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

And what a thing of beauty it is! Stellar job, DJK! :up
Carpe diem! :le:
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

What is the point of being able to upload pictures onto the forum if a quarter of the picture cannot be seen because of a solid blue box saying 'luxor4u' in it? If it is supposed to be a watermark - it isn't! :td The see-through scarabs on the old forum were bad enough but this is totally OTT.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Kevininabydos wrote:What is the point of being able to upload pictures onto the forum if a quarter of the picture cannot be seen because of a solid blue box saying 'luxor4u' in it? If it is supposed to be a watermark - it isn't! :td The see-through scarabs on the old forum were bad enough but this is totally OTT.
I must agree with you 100% Kevin, but since I forgot to add the watermark when converting the forums, none of the photo's on here have a watermark, so you must have had some kind of graphic problem, it would be most helpful in future if members gave me something more to go on, like what they was actually doing at the time they encountered a problem, if it's a photo problem, which photo was it etc etc....

Thanks.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Hi Keefy
It is weird, I posted 'Diary entry of a dog and a cat' yesterday in "Just for fun" when it was posted [posting photos is not an easy procedure and working out all the options is complicated and frustrating and finding your own album a nightmare, nearly gave up!] I checked to see it was all okay by clicking on the picture as you do and the top part of the picture was obscured by a large blue box as described above. I tried several times and got the same thing. Today the box is gone and you can view the whole thing. :urm: :ni:

Marcus Aurelius
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I cant see why its so difficult to upload a photo, click on upload Image, browse for the photo on your PC, click continue, add a description if you need to, if not just click Submit, not much different to facebook and other sites where you upload photos.

You can access your Personal Album a few ways: If you are on the Gallery Index Page click on your name to the right off Your Personal Album or you can click your User Control Panel then click Gallery then Manage personal albums or you can click on your name in any post (above your Avatar) and choose personal album

Like anything new, somethings will take time to learn... Im working on a guide at the moment which should explain how to do various things on the forum. :)