Hosni Mubarak has died (conflicting reports)

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Hosni Mubarak has died (conflicting reports)

Post by HEPZIBAH »

For the past few hours there has been rumour and speculation about the decline in health and reported death of Hosni Mubark. It would appear now from breaking news reports that he has infact died this evening.

Egypt's ousted leader has been pronounced clinically dead after efforts to resuscitate him failed.

Toppled president Hosni Mubarak has been pronounced clinically dead upon his arrival at a military hospital in the upscale neighbourhood of Maadi, according to Egyptian state news agency MENA.

Medical sources told MENA that Mubarak's heart stopped after efforts to resuscitate him failed.

However, Mubarak's lawyer Farid El-Deeb told Al-Hayat television channel that he is still alive. Efforts to revive him are beginning to have some effect, he added.

Ahram Online's correspondent overlooking Tahrir Square reports fireworks and cheering after news began trickling in of the imprisoned president's apparent death. Demonstrators began playing the national anthem over loudspeakers. The majority of the gathered crowd are Muslim Brotherhood supporters, with other groups having largely pulled out of the flashpoint square.

Mubarak was transferred to Maadi's military hospital amid tight security measures. Media personnel were denied entry to the hospital, according to Al-Ahram's Arabic news portal.

Earlier the 84-year-old former president suffered a stroke, but paramedics at the Tora Prison hospital resuscitated him with electric shocks.

Mubarak was incarcerated in Tora Prison after being given a life sentence early this month for failing to stop the killing of peaceful protesters. For months during his trial, he was held captive at the International Medical Centre, a military hospital on the Cairo-Ismailia road.

It is understood that Mubarak is suffering from cancer and heart problems. During his stay at the Medical Centre, it was reported on quite a few occasions that his heart had stopped and had to be restarted by doctors.

Revolutionary forces called for Mubarak's incarceration in Tora Prison before the verdict, to join the rest of the defendants from the former regime who were kept at the facility during their trials.

The ousted president's condition was occasionally cited as a reason to keep him away from Tora, but after being sentenced to life imprisonment, he was transferred to the notorious facility, reportedly while shouting and ranting.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/45629.aspx

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Hosni Mubarak has died

Post by Winged Isis »

The military are denying it. (CNN)
Carpe diem! :le:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There does seem to still be a lot of rumours and speculation flying about but equally it is hitting world news now.

I was intrigued by the wide use of the word clinically and although I believed I knew what it meant I ended up looking it up to be sure (self doubt).
<Death is defined as the cessation of all vital functions of the body including the heartbeat, brain activity (including the brain stem), and breathing. >

Now that sounded pretty much like death as I understood it. However, a friend has explained that it may well mean that although clinically dead he could be hooked up to machines so someone has to make the decision to switch them off thus ending artificially prolonged life. I don't know if this is the case but it would fit the scenario.
-Aldous Huxley
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

God I bet that switch is well guarded by the military!!!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The 'is he/isn't he' speculation continues and I apologise if I have been premature in posting Mubaraks death (although I am not alone in this).

BBC Wold News Middle East online have atlast just updated their report:

19 June 2012 Last updated at 23:21

Ousted Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak 'close to death' Protesters in Tahrir Square are closely following reports of Mubarak's death.

There are conflicting reports about the health of ousted Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak.

Some media reports say he is clinically dead, but Nile TV said attempts were continuing to revive him.

The 84-year-old is said to have had a stroke, and was moved from prison to life support in an army hospital.

Mubarak was removed in last year's uprising, and jailed earlier this month for his role in the death of protesters before his removal.

There have been frequent reports since then that his health has deteriorated, many of which have proved wrong.

The news comes as tens of thousands of people protest in Cairo's Tahrir Square against a move by the ruling military council to assume new powers.

The BBC's Lyse Doucet, who is in the square, says the crowds are following the news reports closely.

Continued: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18515556
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Ahram Online have now changed Mubarak's status from 'Clinically Dead' to 'Technically Alive'!

Conflicting reports circulate on Mubarak's health

Toppled strongman Hosni Mubarak's 'clinical death' is widely being circulated, but sources inform Ahram Online and Reuters that the imprisoned president is 'technically alive'

Reuters, Dina Ezzat, Wednesday 20 Jun 2012

Hosni Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for three decades until overthrown by last year, was on life support in hospital, military officials said on Tuesday, but they denied a report he was clinically dead.

Earlier the state news agency, amid high tension over the election of a new president, quoted medical sources as saying the former head of state, aged 84, was "clinically dead". That description was used also to Reuters by a hospital source.

Meanwhile, speaking to Ahram Online before midnight Tuesday, an informed source denied news circulating that suggested that Mubarak is already dead. He said that the ousted president is still technically alive.

Continued:
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ealth.aspx
-Aldous Huxley
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Hosni Mubarak has died (conflicting reports)

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The technology has changed, but mummification hasn't!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Well the news doesn't really seem to be any clearer this morning other than the reports seem to be agreeing that [officially] Mubarak is still alive. (But I read that 15 mins ago so it could have all changed again since then!)
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

My husband is curious if, when he is dead, the military will give him their version of a state funeral, despite his being a convicted criminal. Indeed, would they be game enough, I wonder?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Winged Isis wrote:My husband is curious if, when he is dead, the military will give him their version of a state funeral, despite his being a convicted criminal. Indeed, would they be game enough, I wonder?
Personally, I think they will give some kind of 'Pomp and Ceremony' funeral (and the cynic in me says this is part of the 'delay' at the moment) as to many he is still seen as a hero - even many of those who wanted him deposed thought of him as their 'father'! How much 'P&C' I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at though, but I'm sure it will be a bit more than the local village men wearing galabaya at the graveside!
-Aldous Huxley
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Can't decide if he's going to be officially dead just before or just after Shafiq is proclaimed the winner.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Mubarak to have family funeral in event of death: Official sources
If Mubarak dies, imprisoned sons would be allowed to attend burial procedures and family funeral; potential curfew is possibility, election result announcement could be postponed, say sources
Dina Ezzat, Wednesday 20 Jun 2012

An official source said that should toppled president Hosni Mubarak die, he would only have the right to a family funeral with the presence of his two sons, currently held in Tora Prison on charges of stock market related corruption.

The source, who insisted he could not confirm Mubarak's death, added that Alaa and Gamal Mubarak would be allowed to attend all the burial related procedures, including the washing of the body – in accordance with Islamic rituals – and the funeral prayers expected to be held at a mosque near the family cemetery in the Cairo suburb of Heliopolis.

According to the same source, the imprisoned president is currently being held at Maadi Military Hospital in very critical condition with the aid of life-sustaining equipment.

Meanwhile, another official source suggested to Ahram Online that rumours circulating about a potential curfew within the next two days are not totally unfounded. He added that it would make sense to take some precautionary measures in order to help secure the funeral in the event of Mubarak's death.

He added that Mubarak's death could actually delay the official announcement of the results of the presidential elections, which was scheduled to take place on Thursday, ending speculation over whether the winner is former premier and military man Ahmed Shafiq or Mohamed Mursi, the Muslim Brotherhood's candidate.

The delay could actually happen anyway, stated a third source, should the electoral commission decide to recount certain ballot boxes.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ath-O.aspx

Hmmm, we'll see.
Mimimay
United Kingdom

Post by Mimimay »

I just wish he'd get on with it, it's getting a tad boring now :zz :zz :zz :zz Why do they have to make such a bloody drama, typical Egyptian ;)
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:oo Sky are now saying that Mubarak is off life support!
They said he was in a better state of health than last night. Well he couldn't be in a worse state - afterall, last night he was DEAD :hf:
-Aldous Huxley
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Now now Hepzibah - his first double died last night, his 2nd double is in a coma and he is sipping champers in Switzerland. :)
Mimimay
United Kingdom

Post by Mimimay »

Oh my God.When he does eventually kick the bucket there's NO chance anybodys' gonna believe him !
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've just watched a quick report on Aljazaeera. They say he's in a 'stable' condition. Hmm that still doesn't really say whether he is dead or alive.

In the meantime ...Remember this....

And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!

Yes, it was my way!

Frank Sinatra sang it but it could have been written for this situation. Certainly Mubarak must surely now have had more comebacks than Sinatra!
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Is he isn't he, does it make any difference ? I wonder.
As a paramedic and other things I often encountered the spirit leaving the body. One became proficient in detecting this due to the immediate life saving-skills needed elsewhere.
The time of my 'epiphany was of a successful 'country dwelling car dealer, big house, big garden, wife and two teenage daughters having a heart attack at two am, we took it turns and bought him back over 5 times all the whilst surrounded by his screaming hysterical family.
As there was no Dr available we had to treat him as an emergency, my mate drove I sat in the back with my feet on him so he didn't roll off whilst eating my nightshift tuna & mayo sandwiches.
'Speeding through the night.[duh-dur duh-dur] you get the picture....whilst talking through the hatch to my mate about the coming and goings of the spirit which is different than the soul, he had encountered load of deaths, I was a novice at the odd 4O or so. But I could write reams regarding every minute of that night as the detail remains still with me and has always stirred me to ponder life.
Some of my stories of death would make you scream with fear or scream with laughter, a fascinating and hilarious subject, many people believe that old saying "well no-ones know what happens when you die, do they, ? Well I've met a couple who do......:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I know I've shared some humour over this situation, partly brought about because the information that has come out, and how it has come out - almost like watching a pantomime. I am however still mindful that regardless of what he has, or hasn't done, in his lifetime, Hosni Mubarak is still a man with family and friends - loved ones - some of whome will have known him for better or worse, far better than anyone else and who will mourn his passing. He is human - we are all human. He has lived and will die one day - as will we all. I know that not everyone here will agree with me but I also believe he will be answerable for all things by one who is greater than the courts that people that have already tried him. I hope he is ready for that because he will not have the help of generals and minions on that day.
-Aldous Huxley
Mimimay
United Kingdom

Post by Mimimay »

Forget Mubarek, I want to know more of Dr Whos' stories !and also I need to know what happened to the man whilst you were eating your supper ? And please tell me what's the difference between soul and spirit,I'm fascinated,love this stuff, far mre interesting than boring d Hosni !