Egypt says gay people are not “real people”

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt says gay people are not “real people”

Post by DJKeefy »

CAIRO: An Egyptian delegation at the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva on Thursday has urged the body to focus its efforts on “real people” who need assistance in questioning the rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

“Finally, concerning the highly controversial notion of sexual orientation, we can only reiterate that it is not part of the universally recognized human rights,” said the Egyptian delegation at the UN Human Rights Council.

“We call on Mr. Kiai not to undermine the credibility and legitimacy oh his important work in the eyes of real people who actually need it, especially in regions where such concepts are rejected by both its Christian and Muslim inhabitants like the Middle East,” the statement added.

Egypt’s gay community has long battled stereotypes and discrimination. Last year, the country’s LGBT community had wanted to hold a demonstration in Tahrir Square to push for their rights, but canceled it, saying the country was not ready.

“We have the right to come out in society and to protect ourselves and protect our society from oppressing homosexuals because a society that doesn’t accept the other is a sick one,” said the Facebook page of the groups on why they had planned a protest.

The Facebook page saw numerous homophobic comments, murder threats and a number of people posted Qur’anic quotes to portray how homosexuality was a “sin.”

The administrator reposted the comments so the LGBT community could see the animosity directed at them.

Posted on behalf of the Facebook page’s administrator, a man had sent in this comment:

“What’s the harm if two people from the same sex somewhere in this world are hugging each other? How did I harm you? Did I take something that is yours? Did I eat your food? What? I am a human who feels, loves, hates, gets angry, forgives, and feels happy!”

Source: http://bikyamasr.com/70402/egypt-says-g ... al-people/