'Who is Prophet Mohammed' campaign for Egypt tourists

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

'Who is Prophet Mohammed' campaign for Egypt tourists

Post by DJKeefy »

6 April launches 'Who is Prophet Mohammed' campaign for Egypt tourists.

Renowned revolutionary youth movement launches awareness initiative in an attempt to counter negative conceptions about Islam's prophet Mohammed focused on tourists.

Members of the 6th of April Youth Movement in Cairo started an initiative under the name of "Who is Prophet Mohamed" which entails distributing CDs to foreign tourists containing the biography of Islam's Prophet Mohammed, in an attempt to combat negative stereotypes about Islam and the prophet in the wake of the recent controversy created by the anti-Islam clip that sparked angry protests in several Muslim countries including Egypt.

On Friday and Saturday 6th of April members has distributed around 100 CDs containing the biography translated into 10 languages among tourists at the Egypt Museum located off Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the 2011 Egyptian uprising in which the youth movement played a key role.

The group said on its Facebook page Saturday that the initiative was well-received by tourists as well as museum officials and tour guides.

"Some of the tourists even recognized the 6th of April group," said the group on Facebook.

Earlier in September, crowds of angry Muslim protesters besieged the US embassy in Cairo to denounce a short film, which critics accuse of being greatly offensive to Islam and the Prophet Mohammed.

Clashes between protesters and the police left dozens injured and two unconfirmed deaths, and authorities arrested several hundred people on charges related to the violence that ensued.

The 13-minute clip also triggered angry protests over the Arab world and Muslim countries.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/54188.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: 'Who is Prophet Mohammed' campaign for Egypt tourists

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Prohpet Mohammed's life is extremely fascinating as are the times and events following his passing. The interelationships of his wives and the children and friends/acquaintances of the Prophet and how their lives and actions played out following his passing is interesting.

Having material available to pass out to tourists is an excellent idea so long as those passing out this material is able to expect and accept a range of responses. Personally I'd find the information interesting. Others might not find information related to the Prophet interesting at all and I'd hope their dismissal of this would not precipitate an "incident."

On another note I do not think, my personal opinion here, that Islam (the religion) has negative stereotypes. I also do not believe there are negative stereotypes associated with the Prophet Mohammed. Where the negative stereotypes come in are from those believers/followers of Islam who take every aspect of their religion to violent extremes often over their own perceptions and for no reason that 'we' can fathom, declare jihad and engage in terrorist activities.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

There's been an attempt for months in Luxor to "bridge the gap" over Islam ... a large magazine rack standing in the Kababgy (Metropolitan) restaurant on the Corniche has leaflets and booklets in various languages under a notice about "Understanding Islam". It's placed so that anyone walking that bit of the lower Corniche can see it. The trouble is, tourists and expats tend to shun the place because it doesn't serve beer any more!
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

The vast majority of tourists visit Egypt in order to see the tombs and temples don't they? Which pre-date Islam by at least 1500yrs and have no connection to it. Generally speaking I'd say that unless they happen to be Muslim they're more interested in learning about the Pharoah's than the Prophet Mohammed. Some may accept the CD's and find them interesting. Others might take offence and see it as an attempt to indoctrinate them. Which in a sense it probably is!

And I must say I totally agree with LLL. In my experience people non- Muslims don't have negative perceptions about the Prophet. If they do have 'negative stereotypes' about Islam this is usually about the violence and Terrorism perpetrated by Islamic extremists. Until that stops then the 'stereotypes' are bound to persist.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

timetraveller wrote:The vast majority of tourists visit Egypt in order to see the tombs and temples don't they?
A minority, surely? Traditionally, between 75 per cent and 80 per cent of Egypt's tourist business is generated by the Red Sea resorts!
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

TonyC wrote:
timetraveller wrote:The vast majority of tourists visit Egypt in order to see the tombs and temples don't they?
A minority, surely? Traditionally, between 75 per cent and 80 per cent of Egypt's tourist business is generated by the Red Sea resorts!
That may or may not be so. It's likely to be more so lately I'll grant you as tourists do not feel confident that they will be safe visiting Cairo, Alexandria or Luxor. But you're missing my point. The CD's aren't being distributed on the beaches of the Red Sea are they? According to the article posted they are being distributed outside the Egyptian Museum. And tourists visit the Museum to learn about what? Ancient Egypt. Not Islam or the Prophet Mohammed. And tourists visiting the Red Sea? In so far as I can see they're looking for good weather, beaches, diving and watersports. Not an education on the life of the Prophet Mohammed.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Museum also happens to be adjacent to Tahrir Square and I highly doubt lots of visitors to Egypt are making a beeline to Tahrir.......

Personally if somebody tried to hand me a pamphlet/CD/booklet on religious subject matter I'd make the automatic assumption the 'goal' was to convert me and 'here' I'd decline. IF I was in Egypt and somebody tried to hand me something for FREE I'd be suspicious as all get out that they'd then demand MONEY from me to pay for whatever they tried to hand me..........I mean that IS a tactic in the Souks when 'tourists' walk through.