Men can beat wives on conditions, says Salafist leader

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Men can beat wives on conditions, says Salafist leader

Post by DJKeefy »

Salafist cleric Yasser Borhamy denies accusations of a deal with former military candidate Ahmed Shafiq, argues against constitutional articles forbidding men from beating their wives.

Popular Salafist preacher Yasser Borhamy confirmed in a media statement Friday that the meeting which he was blamed for attending, with former presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq, was part of an initiative made by El-Nour Party to mediate between different groups.

Borhamy said the meeting was arranged because of the rising fear at the time that Shafiq might win. He confirmed that discussions tackled only very specific points, including that violence should not be used against protesters, that the Muslim Brotherhood should not be again isolated, that Copts should not be given any “special position” in society and that Quranic verses should not be removed from school curriculums.

According to Borhamy, El-Nour Party member Ashraf Thabet, who had earlier also come under attack for meeting with Shafiq, was also present during the talks, which were only part of an initiative that also included several other meetings with various concerned parties, like the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Borhamy underlined that no deal had been struck with Shafiq, although he had requested that the Salafists support him in the second round presidential elections. “Everyone knows the Salafist Call supported Morsi,” stated Borhamy.

The Salafist El-Nour Party, of whom Borhamy is known as its “godfather,” has been experiencing deep internal divisions of late. After the party's Supreme Committee withdrew confidence from Chairman Emad Abdel-Ghafour last Wednesday, Abdel-Ghafour claimed that several committee members, including Thabet, had been negotiating with Shafiq. Borhami also faced similar accusations.

The controversial preacher went on to warn the media Friday in Kafr El-Dawwar that liberals were attempting to remove from the constitution restrictions on gender equality established by Islamic jurisprudence.

“We do not support violence against women, but God allowed a certain form of beating,” said Borhamy, arguing that in Islam the husband is permitted to beat his wife as long as no physical damage or scar would result.

Borhami is known for his controversial statements, including one in which he reiterated his stance on Jews and Christians, describing both as infidels.

“I hold on to my stance that Jews and Christians are infidels, but they do have rights that Allah has given them,” he once stated during a press conference in Dakahliah, north east of Cairo.

Borhamy, the deputy leader of the Salafist Call (Al-Dawaa Al-Salafiyya), was instrumental in forming El-Nour Party in 2011, commonly viewed today as Al-Daawa’s political arm.

El-Nour Party was the second biggest winner in parliamentary elections in November 2011, behind the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party (FJP).

Borhamy is a professional surgeon who began his preaching activities in the 1970s. He contributed to the establishment of the Salafist Call in Egypt and is a member of the movement's six-man Trustees Council

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/54254.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Men can beat wives on conditions, says Salafist leader

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well - so long as a scar doesn't develop then men should be right able to just fly at it!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Sounds like water-boarding would be OK then :stp
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

quote“We do not support violence against women, but God allowed a certain form of beating,” said Borhamy, arguing that in Islam the husband is permitted to beat his wife as long as no physical damage or scar would result.

Borhami is known for his controversial statements, including one in which he reiterated his stance on Jews and Christians, describing both as infidels.

“I hold on to my stance that Jews and Christians are infidels, but they do have rights that Allah has given them,” he once stated during a press conference in Dakahliah, north east of Cairo.quote

How noble!
Nice to know that us "infidel"Christians have the right to beat our womenfolk though...and that Allah has sanctioned it!
Am sure many a battered,abused wife/girlfriend will sleep more soundly knowing that!
Must admit,I've never come across this teaching in catechism!Must be worshipping the "wrong"God!!
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

Don't forget that Al Nour were the second largest party in Egypts parliamentary elections
picking up one in four of the votes. :ni:

Steve.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Personally I've never seen an "emotionally" visible scar........but those 'scars' we can't see are often, by far, the most serious. Guess emotional scars don't count :xx :xx

Only those that are and remain visible.........soft tissue wounds usually heal up pretty quick so I guess they don't really count either........knowing this must make all the women feel pretty good and sleep well :xx :xx :xx
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

' “We do not support violence against women, but God allowed a certain form of beating,” said Borhamy, arguing that in Islam the husband is permitted to beat his wife as long as no physical damage or scar would result. '

I'm sure if there were bruising then he would come up with a colour and size chart to justify such behaviour! :xx
Makes me wonder if this is another reason why women are 'encouraged' to be fully covered.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Believe me LLL,I've seen the physical sights resulting from "emotional"scars!
A wee slap here,a wee punch there!No immediate bruising or scars...until later!Then we bandage up the slit wrists, pump out the stomachs,and salve the throats of the "bleach"and God knows what else swallowers!
We also deal with the aftermath of DIY abortions,because these men always want to prove that they are only doing this outa "love"for their women,and this is the result of the "making-up"process!
So lets all remember that there is a very human cost resulting from this theory!!
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Sadly, most of the women who get the odd slap will know full well that they deserved it! Maybe they won't know exactly why, but the judgement of their husband is a good enough reason.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Perspective vs Ignorance....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who's side you on Who2?
Does the burkha cover a multitude of sins?
My auld Scottish granny had a great saying.The bigger the bible...the bigger the rogue!!!
Are you suggesting this also applies to the Quran?
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

What he might be indicating, ST, is that one man's meat is another man's poison. Geddit?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I highly doubt anybody can 'get' the meaning behind what Who2 posts...........

I've seen the results in full living technicolour of 'discipline' and 'punishment' and 'making you a better person' and 'my supper was too hot, too cold, too spicy, not spicy enough' etc etc etc ad nauseum........I've seen the victim so convinced they were in the 'wrong' that they deserved the beating and that somehow the perpetrator was justified in doing what he did........sick sick sick sick sick.....and once within the psyche it is extremely hard to overcome it AND I'm not talking about Muslim women who grow up with this as common place. I'm talking about western victims. Once a victim 'accepts' the mindset that the perpetrator has the right to abuse them it is extremely difficult to change.

Muslim women ARE victims. They are abused, harrassed, victimized and they have nowhere to turn. Who is going to stop the abuse for them? It is a sad state that their society, their culture sees them as victims from day 1 and even if they don't see themselves as victims they can (ahem) rest assured their society is not going to 'save' them from this. Aren't veils, scarves and burquas absolutely handy?

That any entity with any title/belief/philosophy/ideology etc should tout it is 'ok' to beat 'em whether it be a little or alot so long as 'marks' are not left - that is a totally backward primitive ideology. Sad Sad Sad S A D.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Nah TB...don't "geddit"at all!
I'll lie at pool in Luxor hotel wearing bikini and sporting no bruises!
What an affront that'll be to the Muslims!
So.....am I the meat or the poison?
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"So.....am I the meat or the poison?"

That's the point ST, like all women, you're both! It all depends on who is doing the tasting.

To a person who believes that a woman belongs either to her father or her husband, and who has her 'being' purely for 'their' pleasure and benefit, you would likely be seen as something unwholesome, and possibly only useful for 'business'.

Whereas a person whose view of women encapsulates their 'equality of opportunity and purpose', then you could well be looked upon as a rare catch, just for your forthright nature, with the added usefulness of knowing how to apply an Elastoplast, or to possibly whip out an appendix in an emergency!

And LLL, whilst I agree with your comment regarding some of Who"'s posts: "I highly doubt anybody can 'get' the meaning behind what Who2 posts..........." I'm actually amazed that you might really not understand the simple implications of his cartoon!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Teddyboy - re: Who2 posts - I get 'em and got this one. Who2 posts 'lots' and I was trying to say that most of what Who2 posts is pretty cryptic, sometimes extremely insightful other times not at all and I don't usually put too many of the grey cells into thinking about what Who2 has to say/is implying/making fun of/taking seriously what was poked in jest (if you get my drift). :P :P
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"(if you get my drift)."

That's fine LLL, "I've been a miner for a heart of gold"! (How's that for cryptic?)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

;) ;) We be kewl ;) ;)