Luxor teacher 'cut hair of unveiled pupils'

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

TonyC

Luxor teacher 'cut hair of unveiled pupils'

Post by TonyC »

Teacher referred to prosecution for cutting hair of unveiled pupils

A primary school teacher in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Luxor has been referred for disciplinary action after she cut the hair of two female pupils last Wednesday as a punishment for not wearing hijabs, MENA reported on Tuesday, without giving further details.

Zakaria Abdel Fatah, head of the state’s Education Directorate in Luxor, referred the teacher to the administrative prosecution, which deals with disciplinary procedures for state employees, after the students' fathers complained about the incident, the state-run news agency reported.

The website of state-run Al-Ahram newspaper said on Tuesday that the teacher had previously warned female sixth graders not to come to school without wearing hijabs, allegedly threatening to cut the hair of anyone who didn't comply.

Instances of teachers physically punishing students is common in public schools here. Children's rights groups have long been pressing for an end to corporal punishment in schools.

The Egyptian Pediatric Association on Tuesday denounced statements by the education minister seemingly condoning such punishment.

Minister Ibrahim Ghoneim said during a press conference in Gharbiya Governorate Sunday that corporal punishment is acceptable provided it is not severe, stressing that he would not allow teachers to be humiliated while he is in office, Al-Masry Al-Youm reported.

The association said in a statement that hitting students hinders their comprehension abilities and undermines creativity, in addition to causing psychological disorders.

The association called for confronting the phenomenon which violates children's rights and urged the minister to clarify his remarks, according to Al-Masry Al-Youm.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/te ... d-pupils-0

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Luxor teacher 'cut hair of unveiled pupils'

Post by Who2 »

Egyptian mates tell me that their teachers were quite thick and also very violent....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

UPDATE

Disciplinary action has been taken primary school teacher in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Luxor after she cut the hair of two female pupils last Wednesday as a punishment for not wearing hijabs, Education Minister Ibrahim Ghoneim said Wednesday.

The minister told Al-Masry Al-Youm that the Luxor Education Department referred the teacher to its legal affairs office, deprived her of a month’s payment, and transferred her to another school.

Ghoneim denied any intentions in the ministry to separate male and female students or to impose hijabs on students, stressing that wearing the garment is a personal choice. He added that the parents of the affected students still have the right to take legal action against the teacher.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/te ... d-pupils-0
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Take legal actions????? That's a laugh!!!! the girl will be married and have children by the time they get it to Court and the teacher may have passed on. And where would you get a straight solicitor in Luxor??? :))) :))) :)))
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Luxor hits the international press with this depressingly intolerant story. Another small nail in the coffin of tourism I fear. (The teacher has lost 2 months' salary and has been moved to another school.)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This problem of discipline in schools is a difficult one, and I don't agree with what has happened here. When I was at school at the age of seven until I was eleven, this was a C of E church school, we had to go into the church several times a week, no choice in the matter. I had no interest in anything Godly, even less interest in singing. I sounded like a cat being strangled. But the vicar, in his infinite wisdom and by divine right used to use hit the ones like me, that could not sing, very hard at the back of the head with a rolled up wet towel with sand inside of it. This hurt, especially after three and upwards blows. Thankfully this ended when I turned eleven and went onto secondary school. And I thought that this was to be the end of the misery. But I was to be proven wrong. Did this punishment have any lasting affects on me? Not really, it just gave me a life long hatred towards the Church and all it stood for. This should of been a place of safety as well as worship.

Entering the secondary school proved no better. The English teacher I had would wander around the isles looking over your shoulder and if he saw anything that he did not like he had three weapons of torture to administer. The first one was called the stinger, a cloth covered narrow rod made from hard plastic. He used to hit you on the earlobe with this and you were quick to understand why it was called the stinger. His second weapon was an enormous boxing glove that he used to give you an exaggerated drawn back punch to the side of your head. His most loved tool was the biggest slipper you have ever seen in your life. You would be hauled to the front of the class, made to straddle a chair and receive three to five smacks, dependent on his mood. If you where to be relay insolent, in his eye's, like complaining as to the severity of the punishment, he would use you as target practice on the playing field at brake time. He achieved this by making you walk to the half way point of the playing field and he would then line up a number of golf balls and take aim. Fortunately I never had to suffer this, but many others did. Did this have any affect on me? At the time yes, because of the pain and sense of humiliation. Long term, no, just a very strong hatred for this man, that I still carry to this day when my thoughts wander.

The maths teacher we had was Polish and he seemed to hate all things English. Must of been a war thing. He used to love giving the stick, both to the hands or backside. Six times I suffered at his hands and only once for copying homework could be justified as warranted. The only scares were emotional ones, relief came in my last year when he was killed in a car crash. Justice.

Our Geography teacher was only five feet tall, most in the final year towered over him. His like was to stand on his table top and launch himself downwards with his walking stick to hit you several times across the hand. I never received this, but again many did. One class mate in particular was all ways dragged out for this punishment, we thought it was because he was well over six feet tall and this gave a rush of power to the assailant. The end result? On the last day of school before you started working life, the boy in question entered his classroom and nearly beat the teacher to death in retribution. I can't remember what happened to him, but it was in the local paper as to the reasons why this boy did what he did. There are many more examples of beatings, torture (being made to hold a lump of carbolic soap in your mouth for swearing) and punishments at my old school but I am happy to say that it did not affect my level of education, I actually stayed on for an extra year and gained the highest leaving results for the whole school. Did all this punishment make me a better person. Did it make me learn from my mistakes? No, as most were dished out as an enjoyment and because they could do what they did with total impunity. So, is there any point in any form of physical punishment in schools anywhere? No as it only, in my opinion, exacerbates the problem. People say you live and learn. In my day you had to learn to live.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

In the early nineties, when my son was around eleven, I was having a confident moment with him and two of his friends over dinner after a long day at our country cottage. I often had the house full of children in the city, but if they stayed for dinner, I would just serve them without joining. With all the fresh air in the countryside and a simple TV antenna on the roof, they were more relaxed than usual. One boy said: “Every time our religion teacher beats any of us…” I let them know that he was not even allowed to touch them, like my mother had told me, when a pedophile teacher had been fired just before my first year in school. I realised that I had done nothing to make my son aware of his rights, something parents today are criticised for overdoing at the cost of respect for teachers and other adults. They were very surprised and as with one mouth told me enough stories to make me decide to get the old man fired. I said that they could come to me anytime and I’d take care of him.

When I showed up to talk to the religion teacher before taking it further, most boys, including my own little one, had been dismissed and stood on the stairs from outside the classroom and down to the entrance. When the first boys saw me, they ran upstairs yelling: “She’s here, she’s doing it, she’s *#€**# gonna do it!” They thought that I was there to beat him up. In the class room the nerd and the girls were having a religion class, the others were proud to be outside, and I was proud of them. I particularly loved the story of how they had once been lined up in a single row before being allowed to enter the class room, something you stopped doing, when I was in the third grade, and the teacher had pushed the first boy in line, an incredible sweet little boy that I knew well, and without a word the whole class had let themselves fall down the stairs like domino bricks, the only right thing to do.

The teacher was upset to see me, and he really looked as if he was going to attack my son in front of me, the look on his face was enough for me to know that I was right. “Are you referring to the time I pushed Nikolaj?”, he said,”They let themselves fall, they are horrible children and your son is the worst!” His other teachers did not agree, of course. The old idiot was stupid enough to insist on discussing this in front of the principal, and he lost his job. My boy decided that he had wasted enough time and asked to be moved to a private school, so that he could start learning something. I was very much against it at first, in social democratic Denmark, but he won, and that is the best money I have ever spent.

Dusak, that is tough. Reminds me of a fifty four year old friend of mine who carries so much hate for a teacher that he prays that they shall never meet again, only because he would hate to spend the rest of his life in prison.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I used to be a regular in a hotel in Cairo where, until I was upgraded to Nile view, my balcony would overlook a school yard. There were some sadistic teachers who really seemed to enjoy humiliating and beating the children, I do not think that the children knew for what they were being punished. After each break they would walk pass the monsters in single file, and from where I sat it looked as if that random victims were kicked and beaten. One female teacher seemed to enjoy watching this.

6-7 years ago I observed an outdoor gymnastic class for girls, where the teacher was too heavy or wearing to many layers and too long scarves to participate with anything but abuse. I am relieved to say that I have managed to forget the details. What I do remember was how the little boys tried to peek a view of the veiled girls from their side behind the wall.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

All this 'hate' over things that were common practice and happened years and years ago? It' surely the same 'syndrome' which is supposedly destroying the current lives of so many, like in the case of the Jimmy Savile victims. I just don't understand how people can 'hate' for so long. It's a very debilitating emotion!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I have very strong views on crime and punishment. I firmly believe the act of murder, rape, pedophiles, drug suppliers and terrorists, once found guilty beyond all reasonable doubt as they law states, should receive a single bullet to the back of the head. What use are these parasites that cling onto and feed on the backs of the rest of humanity? I say, that in certain circumstances, rehabilitation can work, but not for the above. How much does it cost to jail these lowlifes? 100 grand + a year? Your tax money that, in a lot of respects, gives most of them a more comfortable life inside than out. Then release them to start all over again? At the age of eighteen I lost a good and trusted friend to a heroin overdose, a complete wast of a good life. When I was about twenty a young girl was raped and brutally murdered some five minutes walk from my home which then was a quite village in Lancashire. The manhunt went on and on until eventually it was scaled down. Twenty years later the culprit was found, a person that was initially interviewed on the first days of the investigation. But the mans, then boys, mother had lied to give him an alibi. Why? because her son suffered from a mental health problem and she considered that he had suffered enough in life. The man was, without doubt, insane, and was committed to a mental institution some ten minutes walk from the scene of his crime. Eight years later this hospital was closed and he was re-released to his mothers care. Was this justice? No, he should of been incarcerated for the rest of his life and the mother, that escaped charges, should of been jailed for life. One of the examples that a bullet, in this case, would not be just. I know a grate many people would say that the death penalty does not work, rehabilitation is the answer, but to my mind these people have lost the right to live on, when their victims have had theirs taken away.

As for carrying hatred around with me for all these years, its not something that dominates my life, its just something that I remember at times with distaste. It just should not have happened to the degree that it did.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Am I in a minority? I loved school (even double maths!) and I loved every teacher, from infants school, junior school then girls grammar school. I was devastated on the last day of my school life, I thought it was the end of the world. There was only one serpent in the garden of Eden and that was the headmistress. And she had devised an ingenious form of torture for teenage girls.
Whenever anyone committed a misdemeanour they had an "initial" marked on a board containing everyone's names. Three initials and you were in detention. Detention lasted for an hour after school and during that time you had to sit in silence - untying the knots in tiny pieces of string that had been used to tie exam papers together. It ruined our finger nails!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Even after all I suffered at the hands of these tormentors, I did enjoy education. I stayed on for an extra year, which was markedly different from the former ones as you were actually treated as an adult, no punishment whatsoever and due to the level of respect you received, you never felt inclined to create any mischief. You could grow your hair as long as you wanted, no uniform. I then went on to five and a half years at collage and it was disappointing when I was told no more by the firm I worked for. Education is very important, that's why I provide money for some Egyptian children I know to get a better chance in life with extra lessons. But education should never have been permitted to reach the disciplinary proportions that I and others like me experienced. And talking about detention, one time I had to do it I stated that it had started to snow. The teacher asked me if I liked the snow. I replied yes, it was good fun. Good, he replied, for talking in detention you can go and stand outside in it until detention has ended. I had to stand for thirty minutes in the freezing snow as an extra punishment. I wonder what the penalties would be today towards any teacher that dished out this sort of punishment and any of the others that I have spoken about to any of the schoolkids of today?
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Teddyboy wrote:All this 'hate' over things that were common practice and happened years and years ago? It' surely the same 'syndrome' which is supposedly destroying the current lives of so many, like in the case of the Jimmy Savile victims. I just don't understand how people can 'hate' for so long. It's a very debilitating emotion!
Oh, you're all heart TB! Maybe if you were a victim, you'd understand how it's quite easy to keep hating when your life is utterly destroyed. But, as Dusak observes, hate can take many shapes and exist at many levels. It doesn't have to mean active pursuit of justice, it can just (just?!) be a festering sore in a person's mind and heart that blunts every possible joy, tainting their whole life, and that of other family members.

Another impact of such heinous crimes is the self-perpetuating nature of them e.g. about one third of victims become abusers themselves and/or drug and/or alcohol dependent, often resorting to crime to sustain their habit. Also, for females, their offspring can be born drug-dependent.

It doesn't help when churches cover up and deliberately hinder investigations.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/worl ... -cover-up/

620 recorded cases, and not one reported by the church! And that's just in one state, and not even the biggest! :xx
Carpe diem! :le:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"Maybe if you were a victim, you'd understand"

Most of our generation suffered similar 'abuses' to that which Dusak described. The difference being that only a small proportion of us allowed ourselves to become 'victims' who were full of 'hate'!

I'm sorry WI, but as you know nothing about me other than which I reveal on here, perhaps you shouldn't go off 'half-cocked'?

"it can just (just?!) be a festering sore in a person's mind"

Exactly!!! That is what hate does to us, it repeatedly leads us to remembrance in order to fuel itself.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I carried my scars with pride!........:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Teacher accused of cutting unveiled pupil's hair to be investigated

The public prosecutor has instructed a swift investigation into allegations that a schoolteacher in Luxor cut the hair of two female pupils as punishment for not wearing the hijab.

Public Prosecution spokesperson Adel al-Saeed said the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood has filed a report over the incident.

Saeed said the teacher broke the law in a clear violation of the rights of children and their private lives. He added that the alleged act endangered the child’s safety.

Public Prosecutor Abdel Meguid Mahmoud instructed Luxor’s Public Prosecution to hear the two students’ testimonies of the incident and question the accused teacher.

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/te ... vestigated
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

The Luxor Misdemeanor Court on Tuesday sentenced a teacher to six months in prison, suspended for three years, for cutting the hair of two unveiled students.

The National Council for Childhood and Motherhood filed a complaint with the public prosecutor accusing the teacher of using violence against pupils in violation of the Child’s Law.

In October, Eman Abu Bakr Ahmed, a teacher at Al-Haddadeen School in Luxor, ordered two female sixth graders to cover their heads and warned them that she would cut their hair if they did not. The following day, Ahmed brought a pair of scissors and cut the girls’ hair.

Ahmed’s lawyer said that the ruling was very tough and would be challenged.

Ahmed told Al-Masry Al-Youm on 17 October that she had no political affiliations and had not expected a reaction to what she did.

The Luxor Education Department took disciplinary action against Ahmed following the incident, referring her to the legal affairs office, depriving her of a month’s payment, and transferring her to another school.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/te ... six-months
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

A slightly condensed and differing report from the Guardian today

"A court in southern Egypt has convicted a teacher of child abuse and given her a six-month suspended sentence after she cut the hair of two schoolgirls for not wearing the Muslim headscarf.

The incident last month in the village of Qurna sparked criticism from rights groups and local officials. The case falls into a broader debate in Egypt over personal and religious freedoms amid the rise of Islamist political movements such as the Muslim Brotherhood.

The teacher, Eman Abu Bakar, who wears the niqab that leaves only her eyes visible, was transferred to another school after the incident. But the father of one of the girls and a national centre for childhood rights filed a complaint, accusing her of abuse. Berbesh Khairi el-Rawi said Abu Bakar forced his daughter to stand with her hands above her head for two hours before cutting her hair.

The teacher was quoted as saying she cut her students' hair after asking them repeatedly to cover their heads. A student then handed her a pair of scissors, she said, and he and other pupils urged her to "implement" the threats.

The court also fined Abu Bakar $8."

The behaviour of the other children seems to be almost as disgusting!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Who2 wrote:Egyptian mates tell me that their teachers were quite thick and also very violent....:cool:

And same with the "Quaker" teacher in my Primary school in the Dales..
I had a bad feeling as I walked through the door on my first day at school.. It lasted for 12 years.. Thank God for Art Teachers in later years ;)
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"The behaviour of the other children seems to be almost as disgusting!"

But hardly surprising, eh? Have you forgotten the childhood thrill of the feeling of power over someone else? Especially if the teacher is the instigator, which justifies the involvement in such horrid treatment, to young and impressionable minds?