More shocking news for Luxor

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

More shocking news for Luxor

Post by HEPZIBAH »

More shocking news for Luxor - rumours have been spreading during the course of the day that the two elderly ladies who lived in the 'Big House' next to Luxor temple had been killed. Sadly, it would now seem that this is true.

Ahram Online , Monday 7 Jan 2013

Daughters of former MP under King Farouq killed in Luxor Palace
Two daughters of prominent King Farouq-era Wafd Party MP found dead in their historic Luxor palace, police say gate had been forced open
The two daughters of Tawiq Pasha Andraus, a Wafd Party MP under King Farouq, have been killed in their palace in Luxor.
Laudy Andraus (79) and Sofi Andraus (82) were found dead in different rooms in the palace on Monday. The reason for the killings remains unknown. Security sources said the palace's main gate had been broken.
A team of investigators are at the crime scene which is next to the Luxor Temple.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ed-in.aspx

Edit - credit to Goddess for providing the news link.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: More shocking news for Luxor

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I didn't know these ladies, but I had heard about them over the years and so knew a little about them. I am shocked and horrified that this could have happened and can only hope that their last moments were not spent in torment. I can only hope that their murderers are caught quickly and dealt with the most sever punishment.

I feel that in the killing of these ladies a bit more of Luxor has died.
-Aldous Huxley
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Further to this terrible and shocking news, there is now no excuse for the lovely palace/house to remain standing, as I believe it was only given a temporary reprieve for as long as the ladies survived. Yet more sadness for Luxor, as another iconic building disappears.

The two old dears were often seen through their open front door, the steel outer doors have only been there for a couple of years. They are a sign of the times I suppose, but they didn't seem to deter the murderers! I've been trying to pluck up the courage to ask the ladies if I could photograph the inside of their home for the past few years, too late now though. To reverse the common Egyptian proverb; never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I suppose you can expect anything to happen in any part of Egypt at the moment until someone gets a grasp of security.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Those old ladies were a part of Egyptian history, their house and the house next door { I have the door bell } stood as a monument to world architecture, I was told years ago that they also owned the 'original banana island.
Sad if true, but an Agatha Christie book and film in the making, they must have seen Luxor as no other could or ever will again RIP..:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Once bitten

Post by Once bitten »

Doctor, thanks for putting up the photo that I took before the fist house was demolished. I have since taken a photo of the ladies house standing alone. I wanted to give them a print of their house in it's glory with a blue sky and some cloud behind it. Now it is too late, let us hope that the house remains and represents part of Luxor's history.
:( :(
8) 8) 8) 8)
Ayisha Hassan
Egypt

Post by Ayisha Hassan »

مقتل حفيدتي «توفيق باشا أندراوس» بقصرهما بالأقصر

عثرت أجهزة الشرطة بالأقصر على حفيدتي توفيق باشا أندراوس، النائب الوفدى بمجلس الأمة السابق، مقتولتين داخل قصرهما الواقع في مرمى معبد الأقصر الفرعونى.

وكان اللواء أحمد ضيف صقر مدير أمن الأقصر قد تلقى بلاغا من عريان عزيز سيدهم محامي صوفى توفيق أندراوس 80 سنة، وشقيقتها لودى توفيق اأدراوس 82 سنة، بوجود شكوك لديه في تعرضهما لسوء بعد عدم ردهما على الاتصالات التليفونية، وفشل في الوصول لهما رغم قيامه برن جرس باب القصر الذي تقيمان به على مدار يومين متتاليين.

وتم تشكيل فريق من المباحث الجنائية وفتح باب القصر في حضور الشرطة ومحامي المجني عليهما؛ حيث عثر على جثة إحداهما ملقاة على السلم المؤدي للطابق الثاني ومصابة بآلة حادة فى رأسها، كما عُثر على الثانية جثة هامدة، ويواصل فريق بحث يقوده العميدان رفعت خضر مدير المباحث وزكريا عباس رئيس المباحث الجنائية جهوده لكشف غموض الواقعة والتوصل للجناة، وأخطرت النيابة بالواقعة وباشرت التحقيق بإشراف المستشار محمد فهمي المحامي العام لنيابات الأقصر.

يذكر أن القصر الذي وقعت به الحادثة هو أحد القصور التاريخية في الأقصر؛ حيث شيد عام 1897 وهو القصر الوحيد الذي استقبل الزعيم سعد زغلول في عام 1921 في رحلته النيلية التاريخية لمدن الصعيد، للحصول على دعم شعبي لمطالب ثورة 1919 وحاولت الشرطة آنذاك منع وقوف باخرة سعد زغلول لكن توفيق باشا أندراوس الذي كان أحد أقطاب حزب الوفد آنذاك تصدى للشرطة، وتمكن من إيقاف الباخرة أمام قصره، ونزل سعد زغلول وسط هتافات شعب الأقصر آنذاك.

Use Google translate as it might make a bit more sense, but they were killed, quite horrifically from what I can make out.

very sad day, may they rest in peace.

Moderator note - the original source for the Arabic was from Alaa Tai writing on Facebook.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Clear as Mud!
Killed my granddaughter «Tawfik Pasha Andraos the Bakzarethma Luxor

Police found in Luxor on my granddaughter Tawfik Pasha Andraos, deputy Wafdist former National Assembly, Mguetolten within Qzarethma reality in the range of the Pharaonic Temple of Luxor.

The Major General Ahmed Guest Saqr security director Luxor had received a communication from the Aryan Aziz master's lawyer Sophie Tawfiq Andrew 80 years, and her sister Woody Tawfiq Aadraws 82 years, the existence of doubts has in exposure to bad after failing their response to the telecommunication, and failed to reach them, despite having Bern bell door of the palace, which Takiman over two consecutive days.

Team was formed from the Criminal Investigation and open door of the palace in the presence of the police and the lawyer of the victim them; where he found the body of one lying on the staircase to the second floor and infected with a sharp object in her head, were also found on the second corpse, and continue research team led by Abrigadan raised Khadr Detective Superintendent and Zakaria Abbas, president of the Criminal Investigation efforts to unravel the mysteries of the incident and reach for offenders, and notified the prosecution of the incident and started investigation under the supervision of Justice Mohamed Fahmy Attorney General Luxor Prosecutions.

It is noteworthy that the palace and signed by the incident is a historic palaces in Luxor; where built in 1897 is the only palace that greeted leader Saad Zaghloul in 1921 in his Nilo historical cities level, to get the popular support to the demands of the 1919 revolution and the police tried to then prevent parking steamer Saad Zaghloul but Tawfik Pasha Andrew, who was one of the poles of the Wafd Party then confronted the police, and was able to stop the ship in front of his palace, and went down Saad Zaghloul cheers people shorter time.
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:Clear as Mud!
Killed my granddaughter «Tawfik Pasha Andraos the Bakzarethma Luxor

Police found in Luxor on my granddaughter Tawfik Pasha Andraos, deputy Wafdist former National Assembly, Mguetolten within Qzarethma reality in the range of the Pharaonic Temple of Luxor.

The Major General Ahmed Guest Saqr security director Luxor had received a communication from the Aryan Aziz master's lawyer Sophie Tawfiq Andrew 80 years, and her sister Woody Tawfiq Aadraws 82 years, the existence of doubts has in exposure to bad after failing their response to the telecommunication, and failed to reach them, despite having Bern bell door of the palace, which Takiman over two consecutive days.

Team was formed from the Criminal Investigation and open door of the palace in the presence of the police and the lawyer of the victim them; where he found the body of one lying on the staircase to the second floor and infected with a sharp object in her head, were also found on the second corpse, and continue research team led by Abrigadan raised Khadr Detective Superintendent and Zakaria Abbas, president of the Criminal Investigation efforts to unravel the mysteries of the incident and reach for offenders, and notified the prosecution of the incident and started investigation under the supervision of Justice Mohamed Fahmy Attorney General Luxor Prosecutions.

It is noteworthy that the palace and signed by the incident is a historic palaces in Luxor; where built in 1897 is the only palace that greeted leader Saad Zaghloul in 1921 in his Nilo historical cities level, to get the popular support to the demands of the 1919 revolution and the police tried to then prevent parking steamer Saad Zaghloul but Tawfik Pasha Andrew, who was one of the poles of the Wafd Party then confronted the police, and was able to stop the ship in front of his palace, and went down Saad Zaghloul cheers people shorter time.

My rough interpretation of the translation which I hope will make for easier reading:

The granddaughters of Tawfik Pasha Andraos have been killed.

Police found the granddaughters of Tawfik Pasha Andraos, a Wafd Party MP under King Farouq, have been killed in their palace next to the Temple of Luxor.

The Security Director of Luxor, Major General Ahmed Saqr received a communication from the the lawyer of Sophie Tawfiq Andrew 80 years and her sister Woody Tawfiq Andrew 82 years, because there was concern for the elderly sisters. They had not answered their phone nor the doorbell to the palace for at least two days.

A team was formed from the Criminal Investigations Unit and they opened the door of the palace in the presence of the police and the lawyer of the victims. They found one of the bodies lying on the staircase to the second floor with a sharp object in her head (or could mean a gash caused by a sharp object) they also found the second body in a similar condition. The search team led by Detective Superintendent Abrigadon and Zakaria Abbas, president of the Criminal Investigation [Office ?] continue their investigation to unravel the mysteries of the incident and search for the offenders. They have notified the [Department of ?] prosecution about the incident and have started investigations under the supervision of Justice Mohamed Fahmy, Attorney General Luxor Prosecutions.
-Aldous Huxley
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

When I first heard this as a rumour I was shocked. When it was confirmed there were tears in my eyes. Two of the most famously unknown ladies in Luxor, part of the history not just of Luxor but of Egypt, living in their beautiful 'palace', smiling through the grilled window at passers by, recently under threat of having their home demolished. May their house be preserved in their honour and may they rest in peace.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This news is most shocking and tragic. Tragic that any low life could/would attack two elderly women in their own home. I hope justice is swift and appropriate to the crime.

I fervently hope their last moments were not anguished.

May the sisters rest in peace.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

After the initial shock and sadness, the next thought was: is it most likely they were killed as someone was impatient for the house to be demolished???

A terrible end. RIP ladies. :cry:
Carpe diem! :le:
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Apparently on Egyptian TV, where they were reporting these murders, someone stated that their house must be kept intact and opened as a small museum.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Insha' allah! But I'm not holding my breath.
Carpe diem! :le:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

'Talking just now to Sabra {local mr fixit} over a 'turkish he had not heard about this and was completely mystified and saddened to hear and as to the reasoning, he said local rumor has it that "much under the house is 'antiquiki.
As I was telling him about my acquisition of the front door bell, from the rubble of next door's demolition....
He rushed off to his house and came back with a coin given to him by one of the old ladies, when he was a boy.
It's either 1981 or 1891, you tell me...
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordon 1OO fils.
Busy, busy day today, tying my bridge into the house's foundations..
Next door are moving into their new house, before the old one falls down, and 'the old man Camel Ali Ramadan dies as he,
is 1O5 years old, He say's "his secret is ?
'affune ?
Spoiler
opium
How's about contacting an architectural body or the Aga Khan Foundation in Switzerland, even a Coptic body as they were coptics, wonderful idea for a museum, back to work, 'procrastination be the thief of time.....:cool:
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Will we be able to cross the bridge from bank to bank when completed? And if so, how much will the toll be?
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Sorry to sound pompous, but I don't feel this thread has anything to do with canal bridges and tolls. Inappropriate.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

So back to the old ladies, their passing, their hoards of gold and antiquities, their story....
It must be an amazing treasure trove of Victoriana and Haute-couture probably never seen or documented, for me it's as interesting as H. Carter's et al discovery of Tutankhamen.
Come on Stan dig out some old interior photo's please.
I wonder if Twafik Pasha has a family plot or it's over to the Coptic cemetery near the airport.
Years ago, I heard there was an 'American connection one reason why the government of the day could never wrest it out of their hands, american lawyers are like Doberman Pinschers.....Whatever! it's a great story yet to be written.....
'madgi-sighdek [sic]....:cool:
"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29)
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Update: La whaala! my mate' shahaad, say's there is an old car in the house which sounds like an old bullnose frog or early ford, he says 'he saw it 5 years ago, it has wheels like a bicycle" it was put in there when their brother died years before to preserve it and his memory, he also states the place is one huge antique shop, mind you he also seems to have heard a luxor rumor that they are in the hospital....:cool:
ps: probably the morgue.
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

RIP old ladies.

NO self respecting burglar would do this, so I suspect this had to do with getting them out of the house.

A friend of mine had a house nearby, before he was kicked out, and Yes, he found stuff while carrying out his own digs under the floorboards so to speak.
He even showed me a patch of ground where an object simply disappeared before his very eye's after he found the top of said item. Its watery contents still in the hole that once occupied the "vase".

Of course, I could be wrong about self respecting burglars, Even the Krays would not harm old ladies, but one does wonder in these desperate times if this is the case.

Also, given their previous status, and alleged wealth why there was no guard or private security ?

One word... Cowardly.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.