Expat Jailed

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Expat Jailed

Post by Winged Isis »

My husband read on the arabic Al Masry Al Youm website a British expat was jailed for 4 days for hitting a policeman (reason unknown) in Luxor. I cannot find it on the english version. Has anyone heard about this?

Carpe diem! :le:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Expat Jailed

Post by Dusak »

Not heard anything, but it stands to reason at times as its so frustrating to get them to understand you and that's only after you get past the total disinterested level. But at least every one will be happy to know it wasn't me guv. I will send my spy's out tomorrow.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I wonder what happened to the Army Captain who grabbed a Policeman on Duty in Luxor the other day and stripped him off in front of everyone. Mind you the Policeman was napping and creating terrible traffic jams.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Presumably he was laying prone in the middle of the road for his nap. Over the years I've seen these protectors of humanity asleep in the most curious positions imaginable. They would put any contortionist to shame.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

"Stripped him off..." Do you mean that literally or figuratively?!
Carpe diem! :le:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Whoever this person is, I only hope that some one is taking food into the jail for him, otherwise he will get NONE,...........Oh for the days when there was a consulate in Luxor.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Just had this news article translated for me....

http://www.akhbar-today.com/78966

Apparently the man slapped the policeman round the face because the policeman couldnt understand what he was asking him. It happened outside the Emilio hotel. :(
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

A man of English nationality who lives in Luxor named "Edward John Jennings" 62 years of age.

It says he was "chasing some of the boys"... It sounds like some boys did something wrong, so he tried to report them to the police near the Emilio hotel, the policeman did not understand him, so Edward John Jennings slapped him.

The person is a member on here... Though im sorry about the predicament you are in i'm sure there is more to the story to make you want to slap a policeman, maybe now though you will stop slating others off when they report something has happened to them by saying it must be our reputation or our behaviour to cause the incidents that have happened to us.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I think you will find that a young lad tried to steal his wife's handbag, rightly so the man collared the young lad and dragged him to a Police Officer, the Police Officer said something to the lad and then let the lad go away. The man took exception with the Policeman, and it is thought that the Policeman ran his boot down the mans shin, so in return he got a slap... What is that all!!!! I think he may have been incarcerated for waking the Policeman up... What a mess, I feel sorry for the man really because its really is exasperating the little amount of work the Police do in Luxor and the little amount of work they want to do!!!! One day someone will come along and really shake the bag up. It will be like a bag of Jelly Babies, when you are trying to find out which ones are legitimate and which ones are illegitimate, you shake the bag up and turn it upside down, you will find the B------s fall out...

Incidently I condone violence to the Police or any Officer of the Law, but they are really frustrating at the moment and can fully understand why people abuse them. But they should refrain, and report the Officer to his Senior Officer, telling him where the incident took place and the Officers response.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Like I said i'm sure there is more to the story than what is printed in the papers and flying around on facebook, i'm sure Edward did not slap a policeman for no reason at all, yet I hope he now realises that things like this is happening in Luxor, and when I and other have posted trying to make people aware of these kind of incidents so maybe they can take some precautions we are told by him it's our reputation or our behaviour that has caused the situation... now he knows it not the case, it could happen to anyone.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm surprised that he was/is an ex-pat, especially one that in the past condones such things. Perhaps he will have the bottle to come on here and give us the full story as to what happened. After he's served is porridge of course. Violence begets violence. I can just visualize our Scottish corespondent hitting the keys as I post this.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

One "Skill" the Rozzers are EXPERT at, is provocation.

I like to live life on the edge and all that, done some silly things and got away with them, :up
conversely, I have done some stupid things and NOT got away with them.. :urm:

But slapping a Rozzer... :stp They tend not to "Turn the other cheek"...

Good Luck T.B. You'll need it.... :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

It's all speculation at the moment and many of us had heard about this days ago but thought it was unappropiate to get that gossip train rolling. At the end of then whoever is in the right or wrong He is a forum memeber and whether you like him or not we should be supportive of him in times of difficulty. God only knows what worry his wifes been going through....
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

If he didn't slap the copper, then I will apologise and retract my post...
Coppers have their own disciplinary procedures ( so we are told ) despite one never being charged with murder of a detainee in the cells, of which there are many in the UK.

If he's being stitched up for something he didn't do, then I will happily do whatever I can to help..

Anger or Frustration, there is NO excuse for hitting the copper. Not because they should have any special protection, but because of the consequences.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

Fair enough D , couldn't agree more . :up
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I was once charged with assaulting two police officers to whit: me kicking the 'shite out of them.
Rather difficult, the judge thought whilst one one sitting on me, the other happily testing his highly polished boots on my ribs.
Charges of assault dropped, other related charges ? suspended 'a result....:cool:
PS: at least both opponents, will remember the incident no-doubt!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

What ever the rights and wrongs of the case, and lets be honest none of us know the facts, my sympathy go out to TB and his wife. Being in an Egyptian prison is not a nice experience for anyone, unless ofcourse he is with Mr Mubarak.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I could not agree more with Keefy re Edward, if this is the same Edward who owns and rents out an appartment in Luxor and frequents another board then hopefully as Keefy said he may well alter his view on why incidents happen and also not surpress anything negative about Luxor as others have accused him of doing in the past.

I rather hope this idea of not pre judging and jumping to conclusions can be applied more often as i commented on the "camera theft" thread recentely.

Whether he is a board member or not he deserves all the correct facts before he is judged.

One thing is for sure from my point of view, if claims of assault are true then the fact hes a board member should be irrelevant.

Im often told to get on with my brother because hes my brother. Subscribe to that practice and you give them a license to do whatever they want!

On another forum when it was suggested that police numbers had dropped and/or the police were not bothered to tackle crime and unrest Edward suggested that perhaps they may well still be there but not in view!

I wonder what he thinks now?

One things for sure, if the police are not getting a grip then its just another very negative thing to put tourists off.

When is someone in power going to wise up?!?!

Its madness.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

For the moment I will have to disagree with you Zooropa because IF the assault took place and T.B whoever that is, IS guilty then it would not put tourists off as to my mind it goes to prove that the police do not discriminate between the perpetrators of criminal acts which is a positive thing.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

That was not my point Dusak, im more concerned with the stories that the police don't do anything! or very little! Thats what would put me off. Was it you (cant remember) who witnessed youths throwing tiles down onto the lower corniche while the police just looked on?

Thats concerning, as is (if substantiated) them letting the purse snatcher off scott free. There have been reports of increased petty theiving in Luxor and news that one had been caught and punished would reassure visitors and of course will have the reverse effect if they are let off!

Take the camera thread, everyone was saying it was doubtful that a crew member did it because of the punishments and loss of job risk.

MMMM, if they are letting people who snatch purses which in my view is worse than discovering you have been robbed as apposed to being assaulted or man handled then what does that say about the police?