Comic Relief.

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Comic Relief.

Post by Scottishtourist »

Staying in on a Saturday night is now classed by some as the new "going out."
When not working,I love a Saturday night in.
Sometimes feel it's much more preferable to going out for a meal,drink,etc...and a lot less expensive.
Tonight is bliss!I'm home alone and the telly is good.Just watched BGT and now there's a programme on "An audience with Les Dawson."
Can anyone actually even recommend any of these "new age"comics who appear on the telly.My kids used to watch all these "new"guys...but I just never seemed to click onto their humour.I don't think I could even name them.
Maybe it's an age thing,but who can ever forget the comic genius of the likes of dear Les,Leonard Rossiter,Ronnie Barker,etc.
What does everyone else think?
Are we just stuck in a time warp..or has humour today changed so much?

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Comic Relief.

Post by Zooropa »

BGT?

Oh dear
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I used to love watching "On the Buses" years ago and "Are you Being Served?" You can still catch that one here on reruns.

I think humour can definitely be geographically oriented. American humour is loud and crass (never really took to it) and often blatantly offensive. Personally I prefer much more subtle funnies with plays on words and double meanings.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

"Il get you Butler"
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

I sometimes think the humour was a lot more "gentle"then...and so politically incorrect that nowadays it would be censored or banned altogether.
Does anyone remember "Love thy Neighbour?",the sit-com featuring a white couple whose neighbours were coloured?
And I fear Mrs Slocombe's frequent mentions regarding her p***y just wouldn't pass the censors today.Also John Inman's camp humour.
What about "Up Pompeii?"Crude,lewd and crass...but we laughed at it unashamedly.
Personal favourite even now though is "Dad's Army."
Still think it's stood the test of time and is as funny now as it was when first shown.
True comedy and impeccable timing by every member of the cast.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Now that you mention Up Pompeii it was also a favourite. Funny as all get out :))) Loved it.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

My Favorite Martian, maybe Mr Ed, or The Beverly Hillbillies, on TV. Best Comedy on the Cinema I would give to Any of the Elvis Presley Films. What about Skippy where that Ranger actually thought he could understand everything the kangaroo said ha ha!!!

Does anyone remember on TV Cannonball or The Whirly Birds?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Why bother watching TV when you have a site like this, packed full of comedian :D 's.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

I agree with what you say, ST.
Most of the comedy today seems to be aimed at the younger generation, whereas in the past the likes of Morecambe & Wise, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, It Ain't Half Hot Mum (never to be seen again??), The Two Ronnies, Porridge, Blackadder ..... etc appealed, I think, to a family audience. All of them still make me laugh.

A moment, perhaps to pause and remember Eddie Braben, writer for Eric & Ernie, who died a week or so ago (May 21st). He also, incidentally, wrote for Ken Dodd who can still pack a theatre, the last of the great 'music hall' comedians.

But, for me, the finest British comedian ever was, as you suggest, Les Dawson, both for his one-liners, and for his Cissie and Ada (Roy Barraclough) which I still watch and enjoy on Youtube.

And I still tune in to Round the Horne on the 'wireless' every week - yes, I'm trapped in a comedy time warp.

And Dad's Army was and is British comedy perfection.

PS Cheers, Frasier, Friends - loud and crass? I don't think so.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

PS Cheers, Frasier, Friends - loud and crass? I don't think so.
You think not? Hmmm - ;) :P Check out some of the other well known American comedy acts and if crass and loud doesn't come to mind then ???? I'll limit my selection to three very well known American Comedians -

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

For Dusak -

Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Yes, but you, Lovely Lady, made a generalisation about US comedy, and I was probing the rule you'd stated with what I consider to be smartly written, well-honed, elegantly acted, witty American comedy that has (for me anyway) survived the test of time.

(I might also have mentioned as a great comedian, perhaps especially for ST, Billy Connolly.)
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Oh Remus!
Our dear Billy!
My dad can't stand him,thinks he's the biggest hunk of "no talent"that Scotland ever produced.
But,then again,my dad's 86 and living in the era of "Laurel and Hardy."
I met him once in pub in Partick.He's absolutely lovely,down to earth,but not so funny in real life as he is on stage.
Suppose that's only to be expected.It's "stage persona"and everyone is entitled to a private life.
But I like him and his humour.It's honest,gutsy and so true to life for the Scots!
With all the posts here about English grammar,it's a blessing you can understand his accent,lol!!!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Remus - Good point! :)) :))
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

But I had to turn on the subtitles for the hard of hearing when watching Rab C Nesbitt! American comedy - well, we got the best in Cheers and Frasier, but looking at some of the comedy series imported on MTV here, I agree that most are dire!

For me Fawlty Towers and Blackadder were the high spots of comedy with Morecambe and Wise coming a close third.

Recently two programs made me guffaw - one was 2012, which won awards for its parody of the Olympic Games organisation, and The Thick of It, about inept politicians.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I find myself having to agree with Remus :cry: there is nothing to beat British TV humor as it was. :up I don't think you need to F and blind to make an ordinance laugh. :stp It is very rare that I can raise a giggle at most American waffle, :st but it all depends on your own likes and age. Some people say its wrong to dwell in the past, but unfortunately, the past, compered to today, is the only place that you will find respite from today's troubles.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

ST what about Chic Murray or Hector Nichol, now they were funny.

Just looking back at your post, its funny really how us Brits get the mindset that Satuday Nights alright for dancing, when in reality Saturday night is no different, from any other night, its just that every place of entertainment is geared up for it.

Thursday night was my night out, get in late, can't get up for work the next day, and walla!!! every weekend is a long one. But only when you are self employed hey!!! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is one modern American comedy that I like called Rules of Engagement. I didn't see it until it was in reruns and I'm not even too sure how many seasons it has been running for but it has the same type of humour as you'd find on Frasier, Cheers.

Quite a bit of American comedy is loud, crude and crass and I'd say it makes people laugh based on the shock value of what is said. In the US there is also an entire genre of Shock Jocks - Howard Stern exemplifies. Personally can't stand listening to rude/crude stuff.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

My absolute favorite is Seinfeld in very close competition with Frasier and Curb your Enthusiasm.

There is no studio audience in Curb your Enthusiasm and that can be a relief. While it was still relatively unknown in Denmark it obviously inspired some talented Danish comedians to make a popular show with the same concept and Danish celebrities playing "themselves". Several Danes have been dissappointed when I have told them this, because they were sure that this was unique Danish (= non American) humour.
:o :lol:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Yes Minister!
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt