New governor for Luxor governorate

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: New governor for Luxor governorate

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

He might run Luxor with an Iron Fist in that case, which may not be a bad thing. I see the New York Times have picked up on it and made a story that does not read good at all.

I had a e-mail telling me that its also reported in the UK Tabloids, so it has not taken long to get around the world. I hope this does not mean demonstrations and violence in Luxor, because there is no security to stop it, if it flares up.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Although I agree that it doesn't appear to be a wise choice I agree with CE that he should be given a chance. Many freedom fighters/terrorists have ended up as good politicians.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

BB, thanks, but we are right in what we say. Also at the end of the day, its the Egyptian People that will carry Egypt forward, and not us. All we can hope is that the people choose well and try at all times to prevent any harm or bloodshed to their own.
It will be interesting to see the comments if the new Governor turns Luxor around, cleans the City up, installs good security for all, and does good for tourism. If he does this there will be a lot of humble pie on the menu!!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Interesting posts Bombay. It is good to see that these free speaking protesters didn't have to cover their faces to prevent being overwhelmed with tear gas or temporary first aid units set up to treat the baton abused. I've always considered Luxor more civilized concerning these matters. However it was a pity to see so few protesting the new ex-terrorists position. I thought there must of been a reason for the three hundred tonnes of steel reenforced gates and fences that appeared some months age which would, I think, say that this posting was long in the planing. If he [the guv] stands on the roof of his new office, he will be able to look out towards the beautiful Temple of Hatshepsut, lost in past thoughts as the screams he helped create played away to the background thoughts of opportunities lost while orchestrating a never to be forgotten discrepancy of hate fueled slaughter. But I suppose having the finger on the button is better than having it on the trigger.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Another good article, from today's Guardian:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... rnor-luxor

I have to say that the comments on this thread are far more civilised and nuanced than the one I saw on a famous social media site, started by an expat. Comments like "Murdering Scum", "Evil *******", "the end of tourism in Luxor" abounded. I made a few comments, hopefully to bring a little sense to those ill-spelt rants, but after a few, I found that I could no longer comment - that told me a lot about the person organising the thread - if you don't agree with the party line, you will not be allowed to comment! And I believe the same person is a great believer in freedom of speech.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bearded Brian wrote:Although I agree that it doesn't appear to be a wise choice I agree with CE that he should be given a chance. Many freedom fighters/terrorists have ended up as good politicians.

I agree, everyone should be given a chance.

He had his right up to the point he started getting involved in terrorism.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Minister of Tourism resigns?
Ardooda

Post by Ardooda »

:o :o :o :o :o
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

The thing is this, if everybody's Business and all the Restaurants are full to bursting withing a couple of years, if everyone has food on the table, if smiles are worn instead of frowns, is anyone going to be bothered about who the Governor is anyway.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:The thing is this, if everybody's Business and all the Restaurants are full to bursting withing a couple of years, if everyone has food on the table, if smiles are worn instead of frowns, is anyone going to be bothered about who the Governor is anyway.
I would say that all the family, relatives and close friends of those that were slaughtered may have an opinion.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

The Minister of Tourism has tendered his resignation because of the Luxor appointment. It hasn't yet been accepted.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:The thing is this, if everybody's Business and all the Restaurants are full to bursting withing a couple of years, if everyone has food on the table, if smiles are worn instead of frowns, is anyone going to be bothered about who the Governor is anyway.

And pigs will be seen flying overhead and the meek shall inherit the Earth....:cool:
Ps: I expect that from an Egyptian but not a European businessman.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

His resignation has been accepted.

AlAhram:
Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou has resigned in protest at the appointment of an ultimate-conservative Islamist as governor of Luxor.

"Hisham Zaazou insists on his departure, and I have not denied it as was reported by some websites," ministerial spokesperson Rasha Azazi told Ahram Online.

Prime Minister Hisham Qandil asked Zaazou to continue in his job but he refused, Azazi added.

On Tuesday, Zaazou met with PM Qandil to discuss his concerns about the appointment of Adel El-Khayat, a member of Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya, as governor of Luxor. Zaazou tendered his resignation hours after the meeting.

Zaazou, a technocrat and political independent, was appointed tourism minister in August 2012. He was previously assistant to former tourism minister Mounir Fakhry Abdel-Nour.

Members of Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya are accused of killing at least 58 foreign tourists and four Egyptians in a terrorist attack in Luxor in 1997.

Luxor relies heavily on tourism and is considered one of the world's largest open-air museums.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Remus wrote:His resignation has been accepted.

AlAhram:
Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou has resigned in protest at the appointment of an ultimate-conservative Islamist as governor of Luxor.

"Hisham Zaazou insists on his departure, and I have not denied it as was reported by some websites," ministerial spokesperson Rasha Azazi told Ahram Online.

Prime Minister Hisham Qandil asked Zaazou to continue in his job but he refused, Azazi added.

On Tuesday, Zaazou met with PM Qandil to discuss his concerns about the appointment of Adel El-Khayat, a member of Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya, as governor of Luxor. Zaazou tendered his resignation hours after the meeting.

Zaazou, a technocrat and political independent, was appointed tourism minister in August 2012. He was previously assistant to former tourism minister Mounir Fakhry Abdel-Nour.

Members of Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya are accused of killing at least 58 foreign tourists and four Egyptians in a terrorist attack in Luxor in 1997.

Luxor relies heavily on tourism and is considered one of the world's largest open-air museums.
Another step back for Luxor.
Barb

Post by Barb »

But there wont be CE!!!! 7 travel companies have pulled out of Luxor already because of this, how many will follow? There wont be any tourists able to get here to fill the restaurants!!!!
Barb

Post by Barb »

LivinginLuxor wrote:I have to say that the comments on this thread are far more civilised and nuanced than the one I saw on a famous social media site, started by an expat. Comments like "Murdering Scum", "Evil *******", "the end of tourism in Luxor" abounded. I made a few comments, hopefully to bring a little sense to those ill-spelt rants, but after a few, I found that I could no longer comment - that told me a lot about the person organising the thread - if you don't agree with the party line, you will not be allowed to comment! And I believe the same person is a great believer in freedom of speech.
Sorry I had to remove you on there Stan but I was getting numerous messages from my friends saying your comments were upsetting them by you defending a member of a terrorist group!!
Azurite

Post by Azurite »

Very good points made by Barb & others .... very normal human reactions to such a thing.

Stan & CE, however are showing a very Nick Clegg side. Some things are just wrong and it's pathetic to go all understanding & wishy washy about them.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

I know this will not happen Barbara and Dr, I was trying to talk in a hypothetical way, and say if this did happen no body would care. Even without this appointment we all know it will take years to put Luxor on the tourist map again, it has been deserted for too long now. We will just be down to the hardened few that will always return.

I did not realise that tourist companies were pulling out of Luxor Barbara, that is really bad not just for Luxor itself but also for the people living here. Are any of these Companies large ones, or well known ones? Have they said that they would return or are they just leaving Luxor dead in the water, in favour of Red Sea Resorts.

Just think of all the people this will effect, shops, restaurants, boatmen, taxi's, caleshe's, hotels, even charities will see funds plunging, has people stay clear of our City, the trouble is how can this situation be reversed?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"Now what on earth are you lot rabbeting on about ? this thread has gone solar..tata...:cool:
ps; please try to stay with the thread I know concentrating for more than a few seconds on one subject is difficult, but try....
Pss: then they better come up with some un-tourist related businesses, easy-peasy for a businessman/entrepreneur...
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

We should present an Award to the next local businessman that starts a new venture to build another hotel, I wouldn't mind if they were scamming investors but, they use their own money, la whaala! 'lambs the lot of em...:cool:
Sophocles.