New governor for Luxor governorate

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: New governor for Luxor governorate

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Sorry Azurite, I do not understand Egyptian Politics, I also do not understand the Law here or the way many Authorities work, and as long as I live I will not understands these things, now you are talking wishy washy, draconian and so out of place. Has for associating me with Nick Clegg you are so far from the truth, and obviously have a wishy washy view on Nick Clegg. Would you really think I would do the same as he did? NO would be the answer. I prefer to be independent, but at the same time would not sit in judgement.

All I was saying like in my previous post is, that if this man put money in peoples pockets, and brought tourists to Luxor increasing business people would soon forget his past, this happens in the UK, look at G Archer, an ex prisoner, who is still a top selling author, there are many that can be mentioned. People are fickle, all over the world, and its the old old story, if life gets better then who cares who is in power, remember the Yuppies? Not saying that Luxor has Yuppies, but if they did and their life had been improved by this man would they care? of course not.

Guess there will be no more meetings between the ex pat population and the Governor then?

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Sorry Azurite, I do not understand Egyptian Politics, I also do not understand the Law here or the way many Authorities work, and as long as I live I will not understands these things, now you are talking wishy washy, draconian and so out of place. Has for associating me with Nick Clegg you are so far from the truth, and obviously have a wishy washy view on Nick Clegg. Would you really think I would do the same as he did? NO would be the answer. I prefer to be independent, but at the same time would not sit in judgement.

All I was saying like in my previous post is, that if this man put money in peoples pockets, and brought tourists to Luxor increasing business people would soon forget his past, this happens in the UK, look at G Archer, an ex prisoner, who is still a top selling author, there are many that can be mentioned. People are fickle, all over the world, and its the old old story, if life gets better then who cares who is in power, remember the Yuppies? Not saying that Luxor has Yuppies, but if they did and their life had been improved by this man would they care? of course not.

Guess there will be no more meetings between the ex pat population and the Governor then?

You are correct Choc, people are fickle but there is a big difference between the likes of Archer and Huhne who broke the law and were imprisoned for, by comparison very mild offences.

This man has significant amounts of blood on his hands, if the reports are true.

There is no comparison.

I would liken him to a mutiple murderer and tolerance of such people in Britain is non existant.

Most of us would not give a murderer, famous or not the time of day if they had, had a hand in multiple innocent deaths.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

So to help me understand a bit, this man was one of the group who went armed to the West Bank Monuments etc. armed with guns and ammunition, and shot tourists indiscriminately, and got away with a small prison sentence, how come? because the other people in the group did not survive, as I am led to believe. This being the case then yes you are right and he has got blood on his hands.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

There is only one place for a terrorist and that's under the sod, the only good terrorist is a dead one. If you read Bombay's post Choc it explains his past position. Yuppies in Luxor? I have at the moment three yappies outside that are disrupting my life. Are they the same? Very reliable friend told me this morning that the staff at the Novatell have just been given their marching orders and the hotel will close within the hour. That was at 12.00pm. Stan the man being deleted from a site for supporting terrorists? Now that is another news worthy event.[if true]
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:I did not realise that tourist companies were pulling out of Luxor Barbara, that is really bad not just for Luxor itself but also for the people living here. Are any of these Companies large ones, or well known ones? Have they said that they would return or are they just leaving Luxor dead in the water, in favour of Red Sea Resorts.
Well you could say they were quite big being as the latest one is Thomas cook!!!! The others are French, Dutch, German and American companies.

The new article is in Arabic......
http://www.almasalla.travel/News-100198.html

But there is the translation......

Cairo "Mesalla" ... Administration announced Thomas Cook Global and stopped selling tours to visit Luxor tourist season winter coming and so in protest against the appointment of Governor of the shorter accused of participating in the killing of tourists in an accident Deir el-Bahari and solidarity with the families of the victims of the massacre of Deir el-Bahari and the establishment of thousands ----- tourists Alaurbin to cancel their reservations, which was scheduled before.
He said Majdi Saleh, President of Chamber of tourism companies in the Red Sea that the appointment Khayat governor of the shortest is a mercy bullet for tourism in Luxor and reveals that the Brotherhood and the Freedom and Justice is supportive of tourism and that there is a state of anger tourism sector due to the appointment governor belong to JI accused of killing dozens of tourists and massacre Bahari implemented accused Jemaah Islamiyah is still the memory of all the foreign countries and the families of the victims.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Thomas Cook UK stopped selling Luxor 2 Months ago along with Cosmos the office in Luxor closed as far as I know and neither were selling for after May since last year.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Lots of overday trips have been cancelled.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

That's a pity as they will miss our new chain of volcano's.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Chain of volcano's!!! Wheres that "D" along the Cornishe?? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Barbara and Bombay for putting me in the picture about these Companies that are pulling out of Luxor, because I am retired and have nothing to do with tourism i do not get to hear these stories.
i can understand why though, even with dropping the number of flights from the UK each week, if they cannot fill aircraft up its no longer a viable thing to do. A shame really, but what can you do! I do feel though that people are getting fed up with it all, and I just don't mean the local people either.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Away from the news on what is happening, has the new Governor taken up residence in his office yet or has this been prevented by protesters.

Another question, how will he be able to make decisions in the knowledge that the people of Luxor will protest about them?

Would this situation be good for our City?

Who actually appoints the Governors? are they elected, or is it done by does your face fit?

And whoever appoints the Governors, do they look into their past history before doing so?

The last governor was a peaceful one, albeit he could not do too much because of the lack of finances. I was quite shocked to hear he had been replaced. I expected Dr Dardery to be the new Governor if there was going to be one, but have been told he has acquired a good position with the Government.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The President, Marsi, apparently appears to appoint the governors. [please excuse the alliteration]
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The new Gov has not yet taken up his position he has gone to Sohag, why there I have no idea, and Pres Morsi appoints the Gov, there was some talk previously that the Gov was going to be elected but like the election of MP's this seems to have gone by the board.
From the talk around town everyone is looking to the 30th June and then see what happens after that.
I have a friend who actually works in the Gov office, she has to pass the demonstrators everyday she said that they are determined not to allow the new Gov to enter his office. We shall see.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote:The new Gov has not yet taken up his position he has gone to Sohag,
Nobody round here like people from Sohag, "rubbish peoples.
just quoting....:cool:
Ps: 'mind you, could be worse, he could have been going to Gomolla...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Or even Gorff to use someones pool to cool the situation.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Whats he doing in Sohag if he is the Luxor Governor? Strange don't you think?
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Sohag is his home town.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Governor has resigned!!!

Here's the google translation from Al-Arabeya

Revealed leading figures JI in Egypt do Adel Al-Khayat, Governor of Luxor new, centrist group, submitted his resignation to President Mohamed Morsi from office, which was not in it only a few days, in the first response to popular pressure reject the appointments last for conservatives, citing a newspaper report "Middle East" Saudi Arabia, Saturday 22 June / Huzeirn.
The president's decision to Mursi set Khayat governor of shorter, with a wave of anger and criticism very popular, especially among tourism workers, being a member of a jihadist group level to the implementation of a terrorist attack in Luxor in 1997, led to the deaths of 58 tourists and a number of citizens.
The government sources said that "President Morsi may be forced to accept the resignation of Al-Khayat, especially after he refused to Hesham Zazoua and Tourism Minister undo the progress resignation in protest at the appointment Khayat, despite the refusal of Prime Minister Dr. Hisham Qandil acceptance."
The Islamic group acts of violence during the eighties and nineties of the last century, most notably the assassination of President Anwar Sadat, but its leaders have intellectual audits in prison, before they get out of them after the revolution of January 25, 2011.
Leader: Khayat resigned
Said Dr. Nasr Abdel Salam, the leader of construction and development, the political arm of the Islamic Group, said, "Khayat already offering his resignation until people realize we are not interested in the job and is clinging to it, and so miss the opportunity to people who want to pay Jemaah Islamiyah of anger and a return to violence again, but This will not happen and will not succeed a in Astdrakna violence never. "
And the failure of the new governor, last Wednesday, in the access to his office after the besieged workers to tourism and citizens are angry, and blocked the road to the building office in the province, tires burning, and declared Khayat defer receipt of his duties, saying "his commitment to the safety of everyone," for fear of clashes between his opponents and his supporters, who tried to form a human shield to protect him.
Workers fear tourism in Luxor that causes set Khayat in reducing the number of tourists, tourist in light of the crisis plaguing the country since the revolution of January 25, 2011, because of lawlessness. The proceeds of the most important tourism income upon which the Egyptian economy, where more than 10% of economic output.
Angry draw graphics on the wall of the province of Luxor to tailor the form of a "terrorist conservative sitting on a chair bearing arms", or "the devil destroys ancient temple," and wrote slogans refusing to enter.
Set Khayat "unfortunate decision"
For his part, stressed Ashraf Sayed, a member of the supreme body of the party construction and development, that "the resignation Khayat is currently in President Morsi to decide on her acceptance or rejection, and that among the solutions make a switch between the conservatives, so shall Khayat another province of Upper Egypt governorates, away from Luxor, which faces a popular rejection. "
A member of the supreme body of the party that "contrary to what some people think, Khayat was regarded as a guarantee of vogue tourist activity in Egypt, because he will present the right image of the Islamists is the lies that are promoted to terrorize the world."
He acknowledged master of the "Choose a member of Jemaah Islamiyah to this province was a decision unfortunate, especially since there are 17 counties surveyed movement, and it can be set Khayat in any other province of them," he said, adding that "the decision has been built that there is a helper strong popular Islamic Group in Upper Egyp
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

A scoop Stan!
Barb

Post by Barb »

No he hasnt resigned!!!!
This was posted on the news about 20 minutes ago.

http://alhayat.com/Details/525990

Luxor governor denied just the happiest Khayat, media reports about his resignation, in response to the protests raised against him, since his appointment last week as governor of this region tourist and archaeological sites in Egypt months.

In a telephone statement to the Anatolian Agency, Khayat said: "did not extend باستقالتي or thinking presented now, God willing, there will be no resignation." He pointed out that it "is currently in his hometown in the province of Sohag, and waiting for what will come out of the events."
And marching dozens of opponents of President Mohamed Morsi, a few days ago, in front of the governorate building in protest against the appointment of Luxor Khayat, mayor of this city, which includes at least one-third of the effects of Pharaonic Egypt.
And rejects those set tailor in the office, on the background of affiliation of the last of the Islamic Group, which has been accused of individuals affiliated with the implementation of an attack, targeting tourists in one of the temples of Luxor in 1997, which claimed the lives of more than 50 tourists, an incident that defines the media as the "massacre of Luxor" .
But the Islamic group, says it has conducted reviews of thought in the aftermath of the Luxor attack, which renounced violence as a means of change.
Party chairman in turn denied the construction and development Nasr Abdel-Salam, the political arm of the Islamic Group, to be "Khayat has submitted his resignation," but he pointed out, at the same time, that "his resignation on the table for discussion within the party and is not a decision yet."
And Abdul Salam told Anatolia that "no truth to news of the resignation of the governor of Luxor, and no stability at a decision in this regard after, but his resignation on the table for study within the party, and if we decided to require his resignation interest will be that."
It is expected to hold the Egyptian Federation of Chambers of Tourism, held a press conference this afternoon, with the participation of tour guides union and workers' unions in tourism, to demand President Mohamed Morsi to back down from the decision to appoint the governor, as a "detrimental to tourism," they said.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

http://arabia.msn.com/news/middle-east/ ... ot-resign/

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm:

The newly appointed Luxor governor Adel Asaad al-Khayyat, infamous for his ties to Jama'a al-Islamiya, denied Saturday statements by senior group figures that he had resigned from the post after continued protests against him.

The installment of Khayyat as new governor last Sunday drew heavy criticism from the opposition and the tourism industry in the form of protests over the past week. Jama'a al-Islamiya has been implicated in a terror attack in Luxor which killed 58 tourists and 4 Egyptians in 1997.

Khayyat told Turkish news agency Anadolu that he is not thinking about resigning, although he is currently in his hometown of Suhag, awaiting the outcome of recent events. There will be no resignation Insha'Allah (God willing), Khayyat said.

Senior figures from the groups political arm, the Construction and Development Party, told the London based pan-Arab daily newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat earlier Saturday that Khayyat had resigned over mass protests demanding his ouster.

Al-Khayat resigned so that people could realize that we are not interested in the job and are not clinging to it, Construction and Development Party head Nasr Abdel Salam reportedly said.

Abdel Salam addressed those who want to push Jama'a al-Islamiya to anger and to return to violence, asserting that no one would ever succeed in luring us to violence.

The governor failed to reach his office on Wednesday as angry protesters blocked the road to the governorate building, setting tires on fire. Residents, tourism sector employees, and secularist groups have all joined the demonstration.

Khayyat had postponed starting his work to ensure everyone's safety, according to Abdel Salam, and in fear of clashes between his opponents and supporters, after the latter have had to form a human shield around him to protect him.

Khayyats resignation is now in the hands of President Mohamed Morsy to accept or deny, Ashraf Sayed, a member of the supreme body of the Jamaa al-Islamiyas Construction and Development Party, told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper.