Let's try to be positive

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Let's try to be positive

Post by carrie »

All the posts on here just lately are about the terrible events happening here in Egypt. Whatever your point of view we should all deplore the loss of life.
What is the way out though, can we have some suggestions as to how people think the problems can be resolved.
Personally I believe that there will. in the end, have to be a constructive dialogue between the Army, interim gov't and members of the MB. I fear however that many more lives will be lost before that takes place.
Early elections and a constitution that is fair and just to all.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Let's try to be positive

Post by Brian Yare »

I do not know when the situation will improve. But I would suggest that both ex-pats and tourists (when they return) should be a little bit more generous with their backsheesh (in situations where it has been earned) and not try to squeeze every last penny out of everyone with whom they come into contact.

Of course, I would also wish that the Egyptians who are in contact with these foreigners treat them with a little more respect, as we are their bread and butter.

I will try to follow my own advice on my next visit ...
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Yes,lets try to be more positive.
My suggestion?
Train more Doctors and nurses!
Im biased,I know...but where do you ever see more "unity"in face of adversity than in field hospitals and treatment centres.
Treating sick,injured and dying people is certainly a great leveller no matter your religion and political affiliation.
Would an injured Muslim object to being treated by a Christian nurse? Or vice versa?
I doubt it!
The loss of lives is indeed deplorable...and if many on here had to witness it first hand,be they Muslim,Christian or whatever...they'd soon change their tune re their condemnation or admiration of either party involved.
MB,army,police,security forces...all human beings at the end of the day...A bloodied corpse is not a pretty or victorious sight for anyone to see.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

ST

After the government, banks and civil service, the NHS (Doctors and nurses) are the greediest people in the UK. I see no reason why a doctor should be paid more than the Prime Minister.

People in the medical profession are there because they believe in what they do. They should not be remunerated inappropriately.

Just my 2d worth.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Brian Yare wrote:ST

After the government, banks and civil service, the NHS (Doctors and nurses) are the greediest people in the UK. I see no reason why a doctor should be paid more than the Prime Minister.
Don't you Brian?
If you had a heart attack who would you go to?
Would a Government Official,a bank manager,or a civil servant be in the least bit interested in you?
No..you'd just be another statistic!
An example of bad diet,high cholesterol level!
Not a human being...a number to record on a statistic and information website.
Is human life really so cheap?And are those who work in the business of sustaining it really so greedy and therefore dispensible because of their "greed?"
You seem to have been watching news reports from Egypt.
What are the doctors and nurses doing?
Weeping and wailing?
No...they're getting on with the job in hand and showing no prejudice.They ain't being paid enough in my opinion.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

When I read of GPs in England being paid of the order of 250k per year, and nurses at above 60k I know that something is wrong. I respect what these people do, but not how they try to hold the rest of us to ransom.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Brian Yare wrote:When I read of GPs in England being paid of the order of 250k per year, and nurses at above 60k I know that something is wrong. I respect what these people do, but not how they try to hold the rest of us to ransom.
What website you quoting from Brian?
Where are you reading that nurses are earning over 60k per annum?
Somewhere in Dubai?UAE?Saudi Arabia?
I still maintain there's nothing wrong with that,for the job they do!
But please...look at an NHS website for the true figures for nurses salaries in UK.
For once...we are getting recognition and renumeration for "patient responsibility"...and it's still a pittance!
No-one holds you to any ransom...so I trust you have private health insurance...all in all,a better class of nurse and doctor than their poor relatives in the NHS!Don't you think?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

At least Doctors do something useful, rather my taxes (and yes I do still pay taxes in the UK) go to Doctors and nurses than any useless politician.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Out of the money they earn they still have to pay for the surgeries, ie. Council Taxes, Electrical and Gas, plus the equipment they use at the surgeries which is expensive. after that they have to keep their own homes, and families and pay the same bills has their surgeries.

I suspect many are self employed or in the case of a practice a member of the group and can get tax relief, but at the end of the day their bills are still high. A politician gets allowances for this, allowances for that, second home allowances, travel allowances etc etc. Money for Duck Houses, money for keeping their parents in homes that they do not use themselves, and all in all I suspect a Politician gets a lot more than a doctor.

Yes ST you are right, if your ill you turn to a doctor and not a Politician, but reading between lines I suspect some people use other means to get better like maybe witch doctors and alike, because they disagree with a doctors earnings.

I also think that there are not many doctors on the amounts quoted, I think it depends on the size and the amount of patients they have on their registers. One of my friends who is a part of a group earns nothing like that, and he serves 8 villages with 2 partners only, and I know they do not use locums at night, the partnership covers in a rotation.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yesterday on the BBC's buzz bar it stated that 1.9 or was it 2.9 million people are waiting to get into UK hospitals. I think that I would get better treatment over here. Medical problem? Same day treatment. But then again I have to pay for it, not an NHS freebie. I wonder just how many of these numbers are true bred UK citizens? And no misinterpretation of the thought needed.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Dusak wrote:Yesterday on the BBC's buzz bar it stated that 1.9 or was it 2.9 million people are waiting to get into UK hospitals. I think that I would get better treatment over here. Medical problem? Same day treatment. But then again I have to pay for it, not an NHS freebie. I wonder just how many of these numbers are true bred UK citizens? And no misinterpretation of the thought needed.
Hi Dusak.
They're waiting to get into UK hospitals because there's a shortage of NHS beds,a shortage of NHS doctors and a shortage of NHS nurses.
And the reason....well...they just don't get paid enough in my opinion!
I could double my pay if I moved to "private sector"or went abroad to work.
But,my post would not be replaced,and NHS would lose another employee.
The UK must be the only country in the world that doesn't pump money into it's most successful achievement!
Anyway...back to Luxor...let's be positive.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

If you like Scottishtourist, you could join up with myself and Jewel on another subject here, to try and make those ex-pats a little less sad, though I must admit they do very little to help themselves,.Jewels going to sing a song to them, like Rule Britannia etc, while I tell them a story of a green and pleasant land, and you could perhaps read them a poem by Keats, or Browning, or maybe William Wordesworth.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well I'm sitting in about the same boat here in Canada re: getting FAST medical attention. I can get in to see a doctor after a while and then I have to go for test which happen after a while and if I need anything other than to pop a pill I get in line and wait and wait and wait.

AND paying more to an already overworked surgeon or nurse or doctor isn't going to buck them up so they'll be able to deal with more patients. Throwing more money at a few already overworked professionals isn't going to solve the problem.

Personally in answer to Carrie's Post and question - "Let's try to be Positive" - once the dust finally settles in Egypt lets hope that whatever faction wins doesn't hold it over the head of the other and start enacting punitive legislation/laws. Lets hope that whichever side wins (if here has to be a winner) allows for a time of mourning and healing.

I think an influx of many professionals of all persuasions would be a bonus, the encouragement of large and small businesses would be a terrific idea to get people economically working and viable, creating a sustainable infrastructure to the country would be pretty high up there too. A re-vamp of the education system making it welcoming for both males and females with modern curriculum so that REAL jobs can be got making Egyptians competitive globally. These are the type of broad sweeping things I'd like to see in place for Egypt.

Rwanda is still dealing with and handling the massacre of their people via open forums of mourning, discussion and hopefully forgiveness. This type of model might be a thought for villages experiencing heavy losses.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

I think this seems rather appropriate if you are trying to be positive....a classic, perhaps we should try and get the protestors to join in.... :D

phpBB [video]
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I like it when a new double act appears, twice the laughs. My favorite films are a Jewel in the Nile [as in pludunk] and of course the very apt The Four Feathers.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Are you kidding Jewel? Show that to the protesters? Do you want to give them ideas? Burning Churches is quite enough. We wouldn't want them to start crucifying Copts now would we?

That said, it is a classic. From a less politically correct time when you could take the **** out of things.....even religion! :)
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:The Four Feathers.
Have you no respect for your forefathers?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:
Dusak wrote:The Four Feathers.
Have you no respect for your forefathers?
Take no notice here Brian, I was only saying to Lot.s wife, the other day, when suddenly,............................... :wi :wi :wi :wi .
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Putting Salt in the wounds A4??? :lol: :lol:
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote:Take no notice here Brian, I was only saying to Lot.s wife, the other day, when suddenly,............................... :wi :wi :wi :wi .
She became a pillar of so.............
Spoiler
..dium chrloride