Court orders Mubaraks release, to remain 48 hours in custody

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Court orders Mubaraks release, to remain 48 hours in custody

Post by DJKeefy »

Court orders Mubarak's release, to remain 48 hours in custody pending prosecution's appeal.

A Cairo criminal court accepted on Wednesday an appeal by former president Hosni Mubarak against a recent detention order he received, setting him free.

However, the court said Mubarak will be held for 48 hours to give the prosecution a chance to consider whether it will appeal the decision to release him or not.

A judicial source told Ahram Online that the proscution will probably not appeal the release order.

A team of judges from the Northern Cairo misdemeanour court arrived earlier on Wednesday to Tora Prison, where Mubarak is detained in hospital, to look into the appeal.

Mubarak, who has been on trial since August 2011, has now received release orders in all the cases in which he is investigated, for spending the maximum time in jail for a defendant pending trial. However, all trials are still ongoing.

On Wednesday, he was released pending investigations in a corruption case in which he is accused of illegally receiving millions of pounds worth of gifts from state-run publisher Al-Ahram.

Mubarak has recently reimbursed money equivalent to the value of the gifts to the state, which raised the possibility of him being released.

On Monday, he was released pending trial in one of the corruption charges he faces, drawing him closer to release as the number of charges decreases.

Mubarak is currently retried in a case for charges of complicity in the killing of over 800 protesters in the January 2011 uprising, after his appeal on a life sentence was accepted.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/79597.aspx

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Court orders Mubaraks release, to remain 48 hours in cus

Post by Bombay »

Sooner they get him out and back in the Presidential Palace the better :!:
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Little hope of that, thank whatever deity you believe in! It's reported on Today (R4) that if he is released, he will be under house arrest at some secure military base.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And according to the news today he will be allowed to gather his thoughts and prepare for his next case concerning his involvement in the killings of protesters at the beginning of the revolution from the comfort of his home. But I think that after a couple of days of constant earache from the former first lady, he will wish that he was back inside. But then again, I stuck it out for 25 years.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.