Naturally sun dried tomatoes...

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Naturally sun dried tomatoes...

Post by Who2 »

I must say after a couple of months making these tasty little morsels I have become quite a gourmet varying the herbs and seasonings, I pickled 40 eggs months back but shelling them is a pain, so I will now use the empty glass 'biscuit-barrel kilner jar for larger quantities of 'sole-siccantur tomatoes.
Kilner jars available in Ragab & Sons......:cool:

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Naturally sun dried tomatoes...

Post by Brian Yare »

Who2 wrote:I must say after a couple of months making these tasty little morsels I have become quite a gourmet varying the herbs and seasonings, I pickled 40 eggs months back but shelling them is a pain, so I will now use the empty glass 'biscuit-barrel kilner jar for larger quantities of 'sole-siccantur tomatoes.
Kilner jars available in Ragab & Sons......:cool:
Shelling eggs is easy; even hens can do it!

De-shelling eggs is a bit harder - especially when they have been boiled - and is best done before pickling.

I usually cool the eggs under cold running water, and perform the operation by the sink.

Bash the egg all over to fragment the shell into small pieces, peel a small part by hand and then get a finger-nail under the inner membrane and gently ease off the rest of the shell.

If using soft-boiled eggs, take extra care. Pickled soft-boiled quail's eggs are very nice: boil for 2 minutes and cool quickly. The pickling liquor should preserve the yolk, but the elderly and pregnant probably ought to avoid any un- or soft-cooked eggs! :eat :eat :eat
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Forgive me for saying this Mr. Yare but that bit of information is like teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs. :)
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Quails eggs Mr Yare?How eggs-travagant!!
I've never tasted them...not sure that I'd be able to afford them.Another one from Billy Connolly's "toffs cookbook"methinks!
Anyway..on the subject of eggs,I'll happily buy the ones laid by the battery hens.Cheaper by the dozen!!
Free-range at a pinch,if they're on "special."
I lived near farm when I was a child.It was battery hen farm.I'd be sent up to buy "chipped"eggs,they were what we used and ate all the time,a family of 7 got through a lot of eggs!
They were half the price of the "unchipped"ones."Their shells were cracked or partly broken(but membrane intact.)The shops wouldn't accept them for selling..and I think they're totally banned now.
Biggest rarity in Scotland is turkey eggs.
My mum had a "source"for them and they were special treat for my dad.
Have never seen them on sale though.Something to do with turkey farm regulations I once heard.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

We can occasionally get Turkey's eggs in Worcester from a butcher. But they are on the large size, so I normally only use them in omelettes, not boiled or fried.

Duck's eggs are available most of the year, ftom the butchers or some supermarkets.

Quail's eggs are indeed an extravagance, but they look good in a salad.

When I was young, egg was powdered and came from a tin. I can't recall when eggs stopped being rationed!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

1953. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.