My joy is uncontained!

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

My joy is uncontained!

Post by Scottishtourist »

It's back,it's back!
Downton Abbey!
Who needs the stifling heat of Luxor,the power cuts,the lack of nitelife!
Beautiful mild day in Scotland today,washing all line dried.
Bit of shopping in well stocked supermarket,nice fresh salad for tea.
Then...shower,coffee,cig and new series of DOWNTON ABBEY!
Jealous of those living in Luxor Dusak?
Nope,not me!
I have every simple pleasure I need here in Scotland..and enjoy it to the full!

dsaxelby

Re: My joy is uncontained!

Post by dsaxelby »

lol.... have recorded the series ST, and I am sure they can obtain the series in Luxor... :lol: but good to see you excited and happy :wi
It is what it is.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Yes ST we know how to get the UK channels over here, if not we only have to wait an hour after it's shown, then it's all over the internet to download (in HD too) :)

Right i'm off to watch the last episode of "under the dome" im getting behind on things, it's now 5 days old :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

DJKeefy wrote:Yes ST we know how to get the UK channels over here, if not we only have to wait an hour after it's shown, then it's all over the internet to download (in HD too) :)

Right i'm off to watch the last episode of "under the dome" im getting behind on things, it's now 5 days old :lol:
I want this one. My supplier is failing me miserably at the moment. I've had the hardback for five years but still haven't got round to opening it. I can understand the term ''simple pleasure'' and all the drooling it produces via a projecting tongue from the corner of the mouth.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Well, the review I read today in the Guardian suggests that it is past it's peak.

"Where's the dog? I used to enjoy following Lord Grantham's faithful wagging friend, under the cedar, towards the big house, in the opening credits of Downton Abbey (ITV). Plus it gave me a sense of my own place in the social hierarchy – behind and a little below labrador-arse level. Don't tell me he's gone and upped sticks too, to pursue a career in Hollywood?

Someone else is leaving, sneaking off in the middle of the night. Jesus, they're running like rats from a sinking ship. Drownton. Please make it Bates …

Oh, it's O'Brien, off to the subcontinent. Well, I won't miss that old bag of bitterness much either, not like lovely Lady Sybil. And Matthew is no longer, of course, killed off so suddenly and rudely at Christmas, for Dan Stevens to become the deputy editor of the Guardian in a movie about Wikileaks.

Leaving what behind? A handful of widows, widowers, orphans and ghosts, rattling round Downton Abbey. With all of the energy and kindness and softness drained out of them. Lady Mary is basically Miss Havisham now: she wanders the corridors and staircases, only really there in body and hardly even that. If you touched her she'd surely turn to dust.

Opinions are divided about Nanny West, about the best way to deal with grief, the best way to run the estate, and who should be doing it – like series one all over again. Lord and Lady Grantham are stuck in bed, most probably for ever, not through illness but because O'Brien is no longer there to help them get up. It may be 1922 now – with restaurants, jazz, dancing, kissing even – up in London, but out here in the sticks the toffs are still unable to get dressed by themselves. Oh, Mrs Hughes is going to help, but for one day only. I'd find it so odd having someone else – a person I employed – wandering around my bedroom in the morning. But then I'm lower than a yellow lab, as we've already established.

Downstairs, Daisy gets a Valentine card, from Mrs Patmore – out of pity, not passion, I'm afraid. Carson gets an unwelcome letter from an old pal from another life, now living in the workhouse. Will Downton become a rescue centre perhaps, for the forgotten and the unwanted? Not if Carson has anything to do with it.

Matthew's miserable valet Molesley mopes about without a purpose, his master having spent the past six months six feet under. Bates … AGGGHHH, I HATE BATES, did I mention? Even the new maid, O'Brien's replacement, isn't new; she's worked here before. The most exciting thing is the arrival of a food processor.

It's not the most auspicious of openers to the new season of the posh soap. There's a dustiness and a mustiness about the place, a sense of same-old, same-old. Downton Drabbey. Even Dame Maggie's withering one-liners aren't as sharp as they once were. Dan Stevens's absence leaves an unfilled hole, just as Jessica Brown Findlay's did before. Yes, I do mean there's a dearth of talent about the place, a lack of glamour. That's mostly the point of DA, right?

This is a bit like how it's felt to be an Arsenal supporter recently – with the best players leaving, and the ideas running out. Only Downton didn't get its superstar in the transfer window. OK, so Lady Edith's new fella, this publishing chap in town, says he's willing to become a German in order to be with her. But he ain't Mesut Özil, is he?

How the hell did he get in here? Well, maybe he should be. I'd clean the whole place out, get rid of the lot of them – more car crashes, bad births, hunting accidents, whatever. Any who somehow survive can be forced out by crippling death duties and packed off to live in modest Victorian terraces. Then we can fast-forward 90 years or so, cut to when Downton Abbey has become a posh wedding venue for footballers. With Range Rovers and Bentley Continentals parked up on the gravel, and a luxury spa and gym down in Carson's old kingdom. That would get a bit of sparkle back into the old place. Downton Abi, they might call it.

On the subject of wags, there is some good cast news. Maybe not a thrilling new glamour signing, but a familiar friendly face at least. Well, arse. The dog, Isis, may have been sacked from the opening credits, but here he is, alive and well, on a tour of the estate with his master. That's a relief."
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan