37,000 acres of agricultural land damaged by encroachments

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

37,000 acres of agricultural land damaged by encroachments

Post by DJKeefy »

More than 37 thousand acres of agricultural land damaged by encroachments: report

More than 886,000 cases of illegal building on lands designated for agricultural use took place since the 25 January revolution in 2011, according to an Agriculture Ministry report.

The encroachments damaged more than 37,388 acres of valuable agricultural land nationwide.

Ministry of Agriculture sources accused the land protection device of failing to prosecute aggressors because of what they called the administrative corruption in the device which took advantage of the loose security to pass the irregularities.

The highest number of encroachments was documented in Beheira Governorate, Qaliubia, Sharqiya, Minya, Gharbiya, Minya, Assuit and Daqahlia.

North Sinai, New Valley, Matruh, Port Said and Suez had the fewest encroachments.

The report mentioned that 87,972 encroachments have been removed.

The report pointed out that the Ministry of Agriculture notified the Justice and Interior ministries so as to take legal measures against violators and prevent further encroachments.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/mo ... nts-report

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: 37,000 acres of agricultural land damaged by encroachmen

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Nice to know there have been no infringements in Luxor then!! or have the inspectors not been given permission to enter? :lol:
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Almost certainly they have been here, so expect to see bulldozers in Jorfe!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

This is a very interesting subject, that l am sure will run and run in the future.

As some on here will be aware, its quite a delicate subject, especially when you look at value per sq footage of relative new properties on the WB Luxor, however this will be little interest to Cairo, where this area is one of the important parts of the 'grain basket' of Egypt.

In the past, around two and a half years ago, I warned on here about people being 'allowed' to build in 'PADDY FIELDS' for what are obvious reasons, but as we can see today, few took any notice. Yes villagers are allowed to expand, along set out roads, but ALL locals know the difference between raised land and paddy fields.

Towards the end of 2010 the Government of Egypt knew EXACTLY what was, and what was not on the WB. With regards Jorfe, I don't see this area near to the Nile, as agricultural land being its height above the river, neither is the Ramla, however for a reason that its name may suggest,.............which begs the question, would you build a house on a ramla.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I can remember the Government surveyors wandering all over the WB 4/5 years ago, with satellite GPS machines on their backs measuring everything ...:cool:
Ps: So just like 118, they have your number, don't believe what the locals say or believe they don't know sh** from shineola...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

We have a historical record of our farm since we bought it via Google. I think when I've got time I'll Google Ramla which did flood before they put all the "ramla" from the dredgers on it when they were improving the navigation of the river. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Hassan Fathy put together plans in the early 1980s to build a 5 star mudbrick tourist resort on the island where Ramla is. I think they even had some American investors lined up but the whole project fell through.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Yes! sandcastles don't tend to have a long life.....:cool:
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I remember one bright sunny morning on the WB, during November 2010, being on the top of my old building with a dear friend, who sometimes writes on this site, who could witness this event,..... that a helicopter with a large fixed camera, spent at least 40 minutes going up and down the WB, obviously photographing everything.

It is my suspicion that these such properties built after this period, will qualify for a special tax, up and above the usual property tax band rate, and failure to pay would mean confiscation. I also suspect that there will be a new local tax enforcement on rented property at perhaps a rate of 20%, failure to register or/and pay, would result in the authorities seizing the property, selling it, then taking up to 40% of the proceeds as a fine,...........which actually, believe it or not, is the present law in England.

Note. I notice that a new law may soon come into effect in the U.K., is that where a landlord rents a property to an illegal immigrant, he/she will be fined up to £10,000 for each person,..............food for thought.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 pm I remember one bright sunny morning on the WB, during November 2010, being on the top of my old building with a dear friend, who sometimes writes on this site, who could witness this event,..... that a helicopter with a large fixed camera, spent at least 40 minutes going up and down the WB, obviously photographing everything.

It is my suspicion that these such properties built after this period, will qualify for a special tax, up and above the usual property tax band rate, and failure to pay would mean confiscation. I also suspect that there will be a new local tax enforcement on rented property at perhaps a rate of 20%, failure to register or/and pay, would result in the authorities seizing the property, selling it, then taking up to 40% of the proceeds as a fine,...........which actually, believe it or not, is the present law in England.
How an old post of years past comes back to haunt the now and future,.........Welcome to the new sites of Egypt.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: 37,000 acres of agricultural land damaged by encroachments

Post by Who2 »

Talking of dredging up old posts...
This from my diary:
Egypt February 2004
Wednesday 11th.

2000hrs writing this on Nile Train.
Flew to Paris Air France 350 pounds, fast transit because we set out late.
Changed at C de Gaulle airport on 747, nice food nice plane.
Air France opens at 0515hrs 'remember for future!

Landed in Cairo @ 1730hrs grabbed a cab to Ramisis Train St, hustler got me on Luxor train gave him
10 quid dirt cheap.
Should arrive in Luxor at about 0245hrs.

Started to read Piers Paul Reads book the Templars.
Think Iv'e picked up a bloody travel bug as I am sneezing a lot.

Three Countries, 2 planes, 3 taxis, 1 train and it has taken 24hrs to reach Luxor.
About time to as I'm feeling a bit knackered.

Arrived at 0530hrs 10hrs on train to the Emilio breakfast and bed.. 8)
Sophocles.